The Student Room Group

I have no friends

21 years old, very quiet and shy person who lacks confidence. I do nothing, all day just sit at home on computer looking at car videos then looking at the wall thinking about anything. When I'm bored, I watch pr0n. :biggrin: Then sleep.

Going to start university in September and really worried how I'm gonna manage. It will be my first time alone out of the town.

Also I blame my parents for everything because I feel they are way too overprotective and won't let me do anything. They hardly talk to me. They never ask me who's my friend or why I don't go out. When I say you don't let me, then they remind me of the stupid things I did as a teenager which was to hang out with bad people and often got in trouble.

What shall I do? Please help.
Go out and try and build your confidence.
Find a summer job, you will make friends there. Get involved in a sport (meeting new people and a new improved body). Your parents can't object to either options I think.
When you do go to uni try to really plunge in. I know it's tough, but clubs/societies etc are always looking for new members. If you make a concerted effort to go along consistently you'll make friends. Living on campus should help too.

Also something beforehand to build up your confidence and get a bit of practice with social interactions might help. I'd suggest a trip around Europe staying in hostels. They're very friendly places, and there are so many cool places to see on the continent. You achieve the same at home though - you just need to get out of the house. Go for walks, join a sports team (as suggested above), or do anything else that gets you outside. Spending all day on the internet is really counterproductive.

Best of luck!
ps. perhaps this sounds harsh and I'm not suggesting you should disrespect your parents, but at 21 you don't need their permission to do anything. If you can do it without being abrasive don't ask their permission to to activity x; just tell them you're going out to do activity x. It's quite unreasonable of them to never let you do anything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending