The Student Room Group

Does it look bad if you have a First and a (bad) pass Masters?

Assuming you have a First in your UG degree but a bad pass for your Masters PG degree; would this look bad to PhD admissions or general employment? I ask since if one has a First, it would probably still be looked upon favourably, maybe?

I know one needs working experience as well, but lets focus on these two first (i.e. academic performance).
It will be far less of a problem (if one at all) for general employment than for PhD funding/offers.
Original post by kka25
Assuming you have a First in your UG degree but a bad pass for your Masters PG degree; would this look bad to PhD admissions or general employment? I ask since if one has a First, it would probably still be looked upon favourably, maybe?

I know one needs working experience as well, but lets focus on these two first (i.e. academic performance).

What's with all this 'if one has' and 'one needs'? Seriously.

Anyway, one will echo the above post :rolleyes: - Maybe it'll be more of an issue obtaining a PhD than employment. That makes sense.
Reply 3
Original post by kka25

Apologies for the slight diversion, but I don't think the work exprience is vital - certainly in my Humanities field - although it might be a "nice to have". I went straight through undergrad-Masters-PhD and many of the people I study with have done the same. Whilst I'm self-funding, many of them are working on funded projects and the lack of work experience doesn't seem to have hampered them. I wouldn't get strung up on that aspect at least.
Reply 4
Original post by Klix88
Apologies for the slight diversion, but I don't think the work exprience is vital - certainly in my Humanities field - although it might be a "nice to have". I went straight through undergrad-Masters-PhD and many of the people I study with have done the same. Whilst I'm self-funding, many of them are working on funded projects and the lack of work experience doesn't seem to have hampered them. I wouldn't get strung up on that aspect at least.

Owh, sorry, that was actually more for the general employment.
Actually, for me, work experience helped me with my applications; but it was in R&D so no surprise there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending