The Student Room Group

A study finds that Cambridge students work harder for their degree

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
And that of course, is rubbish!

I literally don't understand the negs? I'm guessing they are off know-it-all Cambridge students...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Well done sherlock
Ah gee, not the tab again :rolleyes:
All educated people know Cambridge undergrads are superior to those of any other uni.
That will surely be completely unsurprising for anyone who has studied at Cambridge.
Reply 6
Original post by Jam'
Obviously written by some pompous c**t who thinks they're so special be a use they go to Cambridge.

What the 'study' fails to recognise is that you can spend 13 hours a day 'working hard' but if that work is inefficient ... It's not much use compared to 3 hours of quality, focussed and thorough study.

I mean what non-news. The person has gone through so much effort making charts and whatnot for some sad meaningless article.

I hate to inform that person that 'average hours spent studying' is not something that employers, people in real life, or anyone else will give a damn about. They ought to spend less time writing rubbish - I mean, especially if they want to maintain that amazing record of studying the most. Wouldn't want to, in an ironic turn of events, lose the title because you wasted study time writing about how much you study.

That is very true, good point. :smile:
Reply 7

Surely everyone knows this? A 70 at Cambridge is of a much higher quality than a 70 at Norwich university for example.
Reply 8
Original post by ANB1993
Surely everyone knows this? A 70 at Cambridge is of a much higher quality than a 70 at Norwich university for example.

No, I think the problem was that this was spread around TSR as a rumour from a biased source - Cambridge students themselves. Now a study has confirmed this, it has a higher level of validity now.
Reply 9
Original post by Jam'
Obviously written by some pompous c**t who thinks they're so special be a use they go to Cambridge.

What the 'study' fails to recognise is that you can spend 13 hours a day 'working hard' but if that work is inefficient ... It's not much use compared to 3 hours of quality, focussed and thorough study.

I mean what non-news. The person has gone through so much effort making charts and whatnot for some sad meaningless article.

I hate to inform that person that 'average hours spent studying' is not something that employers, people in real life, or anyone else will give a damn about. They ought to spend less time writing rubbish - I mean, especially if they want to maintain that amazing record of studying the most. Wouldn't want to, in an ironic turn of events, lose the title because you wasted study time writing about how much you study.

May have been written by somebody pompous. However, your post seems to be written by somebody who is very bitter. You have to respect that an Oxbridge student is generally of a higher level than most other students. It is just naivety and ignorance if you do not recogise this.
Original post by Jam'

What the 'study' fails to recognise is that you can spend 13 hours a day 'working hard' but if that work is inefficient ... It's not much use compared to 3 hours of quality, focussed and thorough study..

I don't think Cambridge students are the ones likely to not be focussed and thorough in their studying...
Reply 11
Original post by Sanctuary
No, I think the problem was that this was spread around TSR as a rumour from a biased source - Cambridge students themselves. Now a study has confirmed this, it has a higher level of validity now.

Ah well I thought it was common knowledge haha! I suppose there will always be people who despise what they see as the elitism of Oxbridge.
Considering the difference in term lengths I don't think you can compare "hours a week worked" and then say X students work harder for their degree.
Reply 13
Original post by PQ
Considering the difference in term lengths I don't think you can compare "hours a week worked" and then say X students work harder for their degree.

This was my immediate concern. I'd also be curious how they checked hours worked; I'm not convinced people are reliable at judging how much time they're working.
Reply 14
So if two people are going for a job, and one came from Norwich university and got a 1st, but the other from Cambridge got a 2:1, we would dismiss the Norwich candidate? Stupid.

Also, there are many reasons that people do not attend Cambridge/Oxford - not just intelligence. It could be the geography, family and personal preference. For me, I had the grades, but I didn't like the language courses. I think that article is pure snobbery.
Reply 15
I don't know how they fit it all in... since a study shows cambridge students are the biggest users of sugardaddy dating sites -the filthy little golddiggers. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/student-life/9817588/Cambridge-is-top-university-for-sugar-daddy-dating.html
Original post by Slumpy
This was my immediate concern. I'd also be curious how they checked hours worked; I'm not convinced people are reliable at judging how much time they're working.

Based on notional HEFCE/QAA estimates of how much work students *should* do for a degree every student should be doing 1,200 hours per annum studying (either in lectures or private study and including revision time)
over a 24 week year that's 50 hours a week (oddly MORE than the cambridge students claim to study)
over a 30 week year that's 40 hours a week (unsurprisingly also more than students at other universities claim to study)

It's disappointing that a cambridge student wouldn't pick up on the difference in term lengths instead of just jumping on an opportunity to write an inflammatory and smug article. Most cambridge students and graduates I know don't feel the need to belittle other student's work in order to feel proud of their own:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by PQ

Whilst there are obviously some problems doing it this way, I think it presents a decent picture of how much more Cambridge students have to work for their degree. Taking the example of Essex, who work on average 20 hours a week, over the course of their 10 week term an average student there works 200 hours. Now compared to the average Cantab's 45 hours a week over an 8 week term gives 360 hours - an 80% increase. Cambridge students do have to work a lot in their holidays too - especially in Easter term where I was working just as hard as in term time.

Original post by TheBigJosh
So if two people are going for a job, and one came from Norwich university and got a 1st, but the other from Cambridge got a 2:1, we would dismiss the Norwich candidate? Stupid.

Also, there are many reasons that people do not attend Cambridge/Oxford - not just intelligence. It could be the geography, family and personal preference. For me, I had the grades, but I didn't like the language courses. I think that article is pure snobbery.

Sure, why not. The standards required for a particular grade varies hugely between institutions, I think if one takes a moment to look into the differences of particular courses and examinations between Cambridge and UEA, you can see it's not a huge leap to assume that the UEA student would have struggled to get a first or 2:1 at Cambridge, whilst the Cambridge student would probably have easily obtained a first at UEA.

The article is not snobbery at all but highlighting a huge problem that is being swept under the rug in Higher Education right now - that there are large differences in the standards and expectations of students to get a certain grade between institutions. Your post reeks of having a chip on your shoulder.
Reply 18
Original post by PQ
Based on notional HEFCE/QAA estimates of how much work students *should* do for a degree every student should be doing 1,200 hours per annum studying (either in lectures or private study and including revision time)
over a 24 week year that's 50 hours a week (oddly MORE than the cambridge students claim to study)
over a 30 week year that's 40 hours a week (unsurprisingly also more than students at other universities claim to study)

It's disappointing that a cambridge student wouldn't pick up on the difference in term lengths instead of just jumping on an opportunity to write an inflammatory and smug article. Most cambridge students and graduates I know don't feel the need to belittle other student's work in order to feel proud of their own:smile:

Anecdotally, 45 hours a week seems fairly light. I know we were told 50-60 hours a week would probably be sufficient to keep up. But this would vary by degree. I also know know of non-oxbridge courses that lecturers have told me students realistically needed to be in the lab 30+ hours a week, before you counted out of lab work. But I suspect this is far from the norm.
Reply 19
Original post by Nichrome
Whilst there are obviously some problems doing it this way, I think it presents a decent picture of how much more Cambridge students have to work for their degree. Taking the example of Essex, who work on average 20 hours a week, over the course of their 10 week term an average student there works 200 hours. Now compared to the average Cantab's 45 hours a week over an 8 week term gives 360 hours - an 80% increase. Cambridge students do have to work a lot in their holidays too - especially in Easter term where I was working just as hard as in term time.

Sure, why not. The standards required for a particular grade varies hugely between institutions, I think if one takes a moment to look into the differences of particular courses and examinations between Cambridge and UEA, you can see it's not a huge leap to assume that the UEA student would have struggled to get a first or 2:1 at Cambridge, whilst the Cambridge student would probably have easily obtained a first at UEA.

The article is not snobbery at all but highlighting a huge problem that is being swept under the rug in Higher Education right now - that there are large differences in the standards and expectations of students to get a certain grade between institutions. Your post reeks of having a chip on your shoulder.

You sound a bit chippy yourself - the outputs of higher education are compared by external moderation.

in most other sphere of life getting comparable outputs for lower inputs is considered good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending