The Student Room Group

Calls to bann Ask Fm

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Sammy Lanka
This statement is complete bull. Some people can ignore it. Others are mentally vulnerable and cannot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which is why we should teach teenagers to have a backbone. I read that someone said her uncle deserved to die. If an anon person said that, I simple would not care. Most people wouldn't because that person is pathetic as they would not say that to my face.

I think she was mentally unstable before ask fm and the abuse made it worse so she couldn't handle life.

I just don't understand why she didn't delete her ask fm when she got the first round of abuse, its like she wanted more.
Original post by PinkyQT
Which is why we should teach teenagers to have a backbone. I read that someone said her uncle deserved to die. If an anon person said that, I simple would not care. Most people wouldn't because that person is pathetic as they would not say that to my face.

I think she was mentally unstable before ask fm and the abuse made it worse so she couldn't handle life.

I just don't understand why she didn't delete her ask fm when she got the first round of abuse, its like she wanted more.

I am no psychiatrist but I am fairly certain that it is not as easy as you make out. Remember that this abuse makes a person hate them self. Due to this they feel that they deserve the abuse so they want more leading to a downward spiral

See where I'm going?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 82
Do people still use Ask Fm? :curious:

I don't understand why she didn't deactivate/delete her account? Social networking sites are harbours for trolls, abuse and downright sick comments and the best thing is to do is block/ignore them and not give them what they want, which is probably attention.

I personally don't believe that a bunch anonymous comments, albeit sick ones, were the sole reason as to why she took her life, there were perhaps many other factors that contributed. It's really upsetting that the girl thought her only way out was to end her life. It's scary when you realise how neurologically fragile we all are.
(edited 10 years ago)
I thought Ask FM was a radio station.

What is it? Just another website through which people can beg for attention.
Reply 84
Original post by g_star_raw_1989
I thought Ask FM was a radio station.

What is it? Just another website through which people can beg for attention.

A quick google search would have been smart then, why bother posting

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85
I don't think it should be banned. People often have abusive phone calls. Sometimes (though less often now with the internet) people get abusive or threatening letters. But no-one suggests we should get rid of phones or the post because of this (or individual postal/phone companies etc).

There is already safeguarding against people abusing or threatening others - it's called the law. Anyone breaking the law can have their information passed to police by the site, even if it's not visible to the public.

It is quite easy to report a crime online or over the phone, however, though I don't think it's necessary I wouldn't object to a link added to websites such as Ask.fm (something like 'What to do if you're worried or upset about a comment you receive.') which simply gives information about people to talk to (samaritans, childline etc) as well as how to report crimes in different local areas and what is not acceptable. I think most people of the age who should be using these kinds of sites should be able to find this information themselves, however, it can't hurt to make it even easier to find and could help.

xxx
Original post by ImNew
Why are people always trying to find someone to blame? Suicide is self inflicted deal with it.

Utter rubbish - Suicide is not self-inflicted, to get to the point where you seriously consider it as an option you've got to be incredibly desperate, without any morsel of hope, feeling like the world is just too much. Rarely will someone get to that point on their own: it'll almost always be down to abuse and grief they received from others, where they've been systematically stripped off all self-esteem, been made to feel worthless in essence.
This statement is complete bull. Some people can ignore it. Others are mentally vulnerable and cannot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But it can be quite easily ignored on sites like ask.fm; just delete your account. Am I being so ignorant that I'm overseeing some reason why just deleting your account/not going on it is so difficult? As opposed to logging on, reading the abuse, knowing full well that it greatly upsets you.

It's a relatively obscure website (unlike Facebook/Twitter where there is mass social pressure to join) that's notorious for trolls and idiots sending hateful messages, if you were so sensitive then why continue to use the site?

As a few others have said there's got to have been some external factors that impacted her decision.
Reply 88
Are the comments / questions posted on ask/fm viewable to all members, or just to the person they're addressed to? If something's being said about you, publically, even if it's not to your real name - it's very very hard not to look at new stuff. It's hard to not listen when everyone else can still hear it.

Original post by ImNew
Recently it was discovered not that psychopaths do not have empathy, but actually they can turn empathy and emotions off at will. I can turn my empathy off

So, you're saying you're a psychopath?

The study I assume you're referring to (by Keysers?) states that psychopaths have the ability to switch their empathy on, but that the default state is off, which is rather different from a healthy person choosing to ignore or desensitise themselves to the emotions of others.

We shouldn't be teaching our children to toughen themselves to the cruelty and and heartlessness of the world. We should be teaching them how to make the world a little bit less cruel and heartless.
Original post by suncake
Deleting these websites is unnecessary. All kids and teenagers nowadays should be taught to not take everyone/everything on the internet so seriously...

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah, easier said than done..
Original post by Believable_Jeff
But it can be quite easily ignored on sites like ask.fm; just delete your account. Am I being so ignorant that I'm overseeing some reason why just deleting your account/not going on it is so difficult? As opposed to logging on, reading the abuse, knowing full well that it greatly upsets you.

As I said abuse makes people think they deserve it. They are then compelled to find more abuse

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PinkyQT
So you think if you got hate you would commit suicide? Thats a problem.

No? I never said that. I meant if I got I hate I would deactivate my account before it got worse, instead of committing suicide.
Maybe it would improve spelling.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A ban on Ask.fm won't solve anything really, the bullies will just move on to other means of harassing people for their own enjoyment and it ruins the fun for people who use the site for its intended purpose if it was gotten rid of completely. There needs to be a new system implemented where the anonymous feature is removed and people can only use their real names so people can be held accountable if there is abuse going on. Or all comments could be moderated before they are published, but that could take a long time.
Ask is the only site which is anonymous. This makes it more dangerous. This is further compounded by the absence of a report abuse button. If such a function existed then I would support the existence of ask. At present there is no safeguard which is unacceptable

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is. Delete your account, stop using the site, do something else where bullies won't target you. It amazes me that some people cannot seem to wrap their heads around this mindbogglingly simple concept.
Original post by Greenlaner
There is. Delete your account, stop using the site, do something else where bullies won't target you. It amazes me that some people cannot seem to wrap their heads around this mindbogglingly simple concept.

Look dude. I'm bored of repeating myself. If you want a response about why people don't do that then look back at my posts on this thread

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 96
I don't really get the obsession with trying to be celebrity-like and fling your life story left, right and centre. And I've always got the impression with those sites that the 'serious' questions are just being posted by the person in question themselves. The dad sounds thick as anything - whoever did it obviously knows her in real life, i.e. maybe they should be looking for them instead of thinking closing some website is going to suddenly going to make teenagers stable and happy.
I'm not opposed to the idea per se, I just don't think it'll work. However, it is clear we need heavier policing of social media, as well as broadly better education and access to mental health services.
Reply 98
The father is calling for the owner of the website to be charged with manslaughter? Wow...
Original post by ElChapo
The father is calling for the owner of the website to be charged with manslaughter? Wow...

This is clearly ridiculous however he is understandably upset and blaming someone might make it easier for him

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest