The Student Room Group

URGENT: Braces just before a holiday?

Hello everyone,

I'm due to have braces put on soon :s-smilie: and was originally given the date of 6th September. However the orthodontist has now said they'd prefer for me to have it done THIS Friday to get them on sooner rather than later. But a week on Saturday I am due to fly out to Cyprus for a week.

Reading some articles though it says that the braces could hurt for up to 10 days and prevent proper eating etc.? Do you think I should decline the appointment and stick with the original so that I don't have to worry about something going wrong while I'm away and so that I can enjoy my holiday pain free?

HELP!
Thanks
Reply 1
Mine didn't at all, I just stayed away from anything really hot or really cold for a few days. It's nothing a few ibuprofen won't help in the worst case scenario, though you might not feel like smiling in all your holiday photos.
So I should be okay? It's more of a sit round the pool... don't do anything holiday :tongue: so no photos to worry about
Reply 3
Original post by justanothertechie
Hello everyone,

I'm due to have braces put on soon :s-smilie: and was originally given the date of 6th September. However the orthodontist has now said they'd prefer for me to have it done THIS Friday to get them on sooner rather than later. But a week on Saturday I am due to fly out to Cyprus for a week.

Reading some articles though it says that the braces could hurt for up to 10 days and prevent proper eating etc.? Do you think I should decline the appointment and stick with the original so that I don't have to worry about something going wrong while I'm away and so that I can enjoy my holiday pain free?

HELP!
Thanks

Pained me for about a week. Was limited to eating liquid type meals. Soups n stuff. Not worth the risk.
So I should be okay? It's more of a sit round the pool... don't do anything holiday :tongue: so no photos to worry about

At first your teeth will hurt for a few days, especially considering that this is them on for the first time but ten is a bit much but a few days usually, it is just a constant ache, hurts to brush your teeth and eat hard foods.
That's my fear... because where we go there isn't many 'liquid' or soft meals available!
My eating was abnormal for one day (and I could still manage stuff like pasta) and then I was fine.

The sooner they're on, the sooner they're off! :smile:
Mine hurt a little bit, but only for a day or two after. Honestly, it's not as bad as what so many people say, and most of it's just exaggeration.

Enjoy your holiday! :h:
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
My eating was abnormal for one day (and I could still manage stuff like pasta) and then I was fine.

The sooner they're on, the sooner they're off! :smile:

Hmmm... okay... I guess I'm just a little nervous because I HATE the dentist and orthodontists! I think i'll probably just go on Friday and hope for the best, after all my pain threshold is quite high!
Mine was painful for about 3 days, I still could eat pretty much anything apart from tough meat and really you can eat nearly anything else, it just takes longer, just be thankful you have no had to have retainers, braces don't hurt anywhere near as bad as retainers, plus it was a pain to eat as they cover the top of your mouth and as such anything was really hard to eat and used to take ridiculous lengths of time to eat.

Beyond the holiday don't worry about pain, I have had them now for over a year and my normal diet as continued and mine is mostly meat based and chocolate lol.:eek:
Reply 10
I would not get them done. Postponed the date :-) you never know it might ruin your holiday. I remember I got an infection from my braces, but then I sued the clinic and got free money :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
It's really not worth the risk. Another couple of weeks isn't long to wait, considering how long the braces will be on for.

I've got a pretty high painthreshold (can stand on several lego bricks before collapsing to the floor and crying) and mine hurt like hell for about a week. None of the subsequent tightenings hurt, but I seriously couldn't eat anything for a couple of days when they were first put on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for all your replies. I decided against it and stuck to my original appointment!
Reply 13
Thanks for all your replies. I decided against it and stuck to my original appointment!

Cool. Have a good holiday.:banana2:
Reply 14

Well done:-) you go girlfriend have fun :-) :-) :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Defiantly not a bad idea that you've postponed it- they probably would've been fine but no point risking a good holiday for the sake of a couple of weeks. From a pain point of view though really don't worry about it- mine didn't hurt at all if I remember right, just a bit of pressure.

Original post by WilliamsQI
just be thankful you have no had to have retainers, braces don't hurt anywhere near as bad as retainers, plus it was a pain to eat as they cover the top of your mouth and as such anything was really hard to eat and used to take ridiculous lengths of time to eat.

Omg this aha. I had a year using a retainer before I got braces and that was so much more painful than my brace- I've had a brace for almost three years now and the worst I've ever felt is a little pressure and couldn't eat hard foods for a couple of hours after being tightened.
Reply 16
I think it's very individual. Mine hurt really bad, couldn't eat any solid foods for a couple of days. Also got a really bad headache and fever.
Original post by Jatz07

Have fun on holidayz, which part of cyprus are you going to? I went to Ayia Napa and Protoras hotel last year... it's amazing!! It's really really hot though!! Haha

Jatz

We go to a village, kinda, called Latchi or Latsi, locally. We go to villa out there most years at this time. Lush heat indeed! Very picturesque too.

I'll have a fab holiday! Have a good summer too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Coconutter
Defiantly not a bad idea that you've postponed it- they probably would've been fine but no point risking a good holiday for the sake of a couple of weeks.

Thank you! I'm glad I postponed too because I don't want to panic trying to find a dentist in a little village if something goes wrong.

Plus, as you say, no point risking a good time for a few weeks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest