The Student Room Group

Would you join the Army if conscription was introduced?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chocomalbom
Russia is worse, do you not read the news?

And do you understand sarcasm?
Original post by MrSupernova
And do you understand sarcasm?

Yes, my post was sarcasm too, sorry you didn't catch it.
I'm gay so no, what has this country done for gay people?

Pretty much everything that it has done for people of the more generic sexual orientations.....? Oh, sorry, so you're telling me that you don't use the NHS, libraries, child benefits, education system, water, electricity, internet - everything that was and/or is provided through one of the numerous nuances of this nation, because you're GAY?
Gee-shucks Mister, you sure know how to make your life difficult!

You are part of the problem.
I'd like to think I'd be the first one in the recruiting office if the situation ever arose but hey, hopefully I'll never have to find out.
Reply 64
I might fight in defence, or maybe for sufficiently good cause - but it would have to be really exceptional circumstances. Killing people is a bad thing; systematically killing people and calling it a war doesn't somehow make it better. It would take quite a lot to outweigh that.

I'm gay so no, what has this country done for gay people?

Adoption, civil partnerships, guaranteed access to goods and services, employment rights, hate speech laws, free HIV treatment, and same-sex marriage.
The Army? Please I wouldn't join the army, I'd join the Royal Marines :biggrin: hell if I were allowed, I would've already joined them :smile:
Reply 66
Fortunately (in this scenario at least) I'm partially deaf and have Lupus, so there's no way the Army would take me. If I *had* to, I could work as an Army doctor, but I don't think they'd ever want me to.
Yes, my post was sarcasm too, sorry you didn't catch it.

If you're referring to your post about Russia and the news, then no it wasn't, because you made a factual statement (i.e. one that is actually true) without a hint of irony. I guess you've answered my question, in a roundabout way: no, you don't understand sarcasm.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Michaelj
The idea of conscription is you don't have a choice on the matter... So you can moan all your want or refuse, you'll just end up in prison. Or you can try and beat the psychologist and claim your crazy. In WW1, men were considered "cowards" if they managed to avoid joining and people shunned them. Not sure if it'd be the same... With the attitude of kids nowadays, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the norm.

Btw, I've left the Navy after 7 years last year, and no, I don't wanna go back. :tongue:

Somehow I doubt the government would be able to imprison millions and millions of people.
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
Somehow I doubt the government would be able to imprison millions and millions of people.

So what would they do

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 70
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent

You honestly think millions and millions of people are going to refuse?
You honestly think millions and millions of people are going to refuse?

I guess it depends. If this thread is anything to go by then yes. However I doubt that everyone on here who says they would refuse actually would. I personally would though

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would try and sign up early to get a better job haha. With conscription you might get sent to the Rifles :frown: If I had to join the Infantry again it would be Royal Irish or Royal Regiment of Scotland (then pray for 2SCOTS)

Atleast a good intercontinental scrap may speed up recruitment. Even with an A grade im looking at next year start date for REME or R Signals.
Reply 73
Original post by Jam198
Yes, I'd join the army but as an engineer. Not fighting.

I take it you don't know what engineers in the army actually do then.

When an armoured formation attacks someone, the engineers go first.
Reply 74
Original post by Sammy Lanka
I guess it depends. If this thread is anything to go by then yes. However I doubt that everyone on here who says they would refuse actually would. I personally would though

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure people can be who they want behind a computer. I imagine people weren't any less patriotic during ww2 or 1.
Reply 75
I'm sure people can be who they want behind a computer. I imagine people weren't any less patriotic during ww2 or 1.

I can assure you I stand by what I say. If Britain was being invaded and by that I mean actually invaded, not some stupid made up nonsense about how "There are armed terrorist groups in this country we need to go invade them or else they will attack us", then I would fight.

But if Britain does not come under attack, I am not going to fight because the only time I could justify killing another human being is if it was in self-defence. My country invading another country doesn't really qualify as "self-defence" does it?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 76
Yes but not the British army.
Reply 77
Original post by Bart1331
I can assure you I stand by what I say. If Britain was being invaded and by that I mean actually invaded, not some stupid made up nonsense about how "There are armed terrorist groups in this country we need to go invade them or else they will attack us", then I would fight.

But if Britain does not come under attack, I am not going to fight because the only time I could justify killing another human being is if it was in self-defence. My country invading another country doesn't really qualify as "self-defence" does it?

We're not gonna conscript if there wasn't a serious threat are we? (We're currently making soldiers redundant) We wasn't invaded in ww1 or 2 (apart Battle of Britain) but the danger was there. Nowadays it'll be to prevent a nuclear war.
Reply 78
With the attitude of kids nowadays, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the norm.

Think it would be more likely the case that the vast majority of people wouldn't be physically capable these days. So many now suffer from asthma, hayfever, allergies or are just horrendously unfit that they'd never make it through the selection.

Even those being conscripted had to meet medical requirements. This day and age, most wouldn't.
I'm playing the medical card :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending