The Student Room Group

thailand tour,trutravels

http://www.trutravels.co.uk/#!itinerary/cxcy

£375 for the week accomodation,transport etc. is that good value people???would want to do a group/guided tour firstly to get a feel for it.
Reply 1
if anyone has been on a tour to thailand, or elsewhere in asia can you tell me if that link/tour group is value for money. or any other tour groups you have used in asia.

thanks in advance :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by Clarky-x
In a word, no.

I spend three weeks in Thailand in June 2012 and after flights I spent around £400 on accommodation (based on 2 sharing), transport (Bangkok - Chiang Mai - Koh Phi Phi - Koh Lanta - Krabi - Khao Sok - Koh Samui - Bangkok), day-trips/activities, food, a few drinks, and souvenirs. So, in my opinion £375 for 1 week is not a good deal.

Thailand was my first real experience of traveling extensively in-country, I found it really easy and straightforward to get around the country, and I didn't even have a guidebook (although I did leaf through the pages of a Lonely Planet that was left at my hotel in Phi Phi)

i want a guided tour before,as i've never really left home like this before, so would want a guided tour,as opposed going on my own to get a real feel for it firstly.also dont think i'd be trusted going alone by my parents etc. lol
Reply 3
Yes, you can do it cheaper alone, independently.

Of course a tour costs more - you're paying the extra for having the admin and logistical hassle taken care of, having all the sightseeing, transport, accommodation and excursions pre-arranged and organised, having someone to help you out, provide information and assist you. That all costs money.

If you want to do a tour, the price you have seems about right, as a minimum - if it seems like what you're after, go for it and enjoy it. A tour is a perfectly sensible 1st step when it comes to travelling - some enjoy it so much they do many more, whilst others the set off under their own steam. There is no right way to travel. We're all tourists, no matter the mode and method of travelling :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by brabzzz
Yes, you can do it cheaper alone, independently.

Of course a tour costs more - you're paying the extra for having the admin and logistical hassle taken care of, having all the sightseeing, transport, accommodation and excursions pre-arranged and organised, having someone to help you out, provide information and assist you. That all costs money.

If you want to do a tour, the price you have seems about right, as a minimum - if it seems like what you're after, go for it and enjoy it. A tour is a perfectly sensible 1st step when it comes to travelling - some enjoy it so much they do many more, whilst others the set off under their own steam. There is no right way to travel. We're all tourists, no matter the mode and method of travelling :smile:

think youre absolutely right,as a first time think i may go for this, as it'll give me a real feel for travelling etc before i do it independently, thanks
Reply 5
I went on a tour for my first solo trip away and it was the best thing iv ever done!

If you want money off your trutravels tour use code LindaB
I did a trip to Thailand last year with RealGap called the 'Thailand Experience' It's probably their most attended trip as groups in peak season reach 40 people per group. (There's normally two groups a month). http://www.realgap.co.uk/thailand-experience

Good thing is, if you've booked a trip for next year you pay a deposit and then pay it off bit by bit. 4 weeks for £850 at the moment. I recommend this trip to anybody who wants a taster of travelling. It was my first ever trip alone and I made so many good friends.
Hey,
I've just booked the 'Thailand experience' through real gap for the 25th jan! So excited!
I'm planning on travelling for about 6 months in all but wanted to do a tour first so I could get to know some people as the idea of going out there alone was a bit scary but the fear as all gone now and I just want to get out there :smile:
Sophie x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by sophiepaynex
Hey,
I've just booked the 'Thailand experience' through real gap for the 25th jan! So excited!
I'm planning on travelling for about 6 months in all but wanted to do a tour first so I could get to know some people as the idea of going out there alone was a bit scary but the fear as all gone now and I just want to get out there :smile:
Sophie x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I'm really want to do the Thailand experience but have read some really bad reviews about the company. I just wanted your opinion on the experience, was it worth it?

Monica x
Hey Monica

Thinking about booking through TruTravels also, was reading their reviews on tour radar and they have a 5* Average, where are the bad reviews? Want to read them before i book haha, typical isn't it, i just don't trust all the good!

Ev x
So glad I came across this post! I'm hoping to travel to Thailand this coming October for up to 3 weeks I'm staying with a friend but she'll be at university and so I'm hoping to book onto a tour or some trips so I can explore the area and meet new people while she's busy studying.

Let me know what you end up doing! I've been looking at STA travel and they have some great offers and trips :smile:
Hey everyone,

I've lived in Thailand for 2 years for education, and got to travel a bit. I didn't join any tour groups though (I traveled in school trips, or with family)

I have to say, make sure you stop by the tiger temple at Kanchanaburi. It is a must in Thailand. The drive is around 4 hours from Bangkok, and you can do this separately or get a package tour.

The entrance fee isn't very expensive, though you will have to pay a larger sum if you want to take part in playing with tigers, bathing or feeding the tigers, etc. It will add up to be expensive then. Some of the tigers you are engaging with are full grown adults and it is a really breathtaking experience! I've been there twice and took part in different activities each time.

Some people complained about cruelty or said the tigers were sedated, but I didn't see it AT ALL. Big cats sleep for 18 to 20 hours per day so it depends on your luck as well - the first time I went, the tigers were pretty lazy and slept most of the time while for the second, most of them were wide awake and playful. I'm a huge animal lover and from what I saw, the tigers were well fed and loved. :smile:

Feel free to ask questions. x
Reply 12
I live in Thailand also, and a message to all STAY AWAY from the Tiger Temples, the Tigers are drugged up all day long, that is why they soo docile, please do not encourage this disgusting treatment of such beautiful animals.

Even the majority of my Thai friends are very much against the tiger temples, feel free to make your own judgement, but do you really think a fully grown tiger wants to sit with hundreds of tourists every day having their picture taken?....Would you want to?

Quick Reply

Latest