The Student Room Group

What degree is best if you want to become a researcher?

I like science, but medicine is not really for me.
Im doing Chem and Bio for Alevels, so most degree are available for me.
I would love my future job to be stting in a lab all day doing research,
nothing specific in mind.
What degree leads most in that direction?
I was thinking pharmacology?
Help!
Reply 1
Whatever grabs you really.

For my BSc project my supervisor did Chemistry before a PhD which was perhaps more cellular biology, and then ended up as a researcher in Physiology. He said if doing it all again he would have done medicine then moved sideways into research, apparently he could have ended up doing the same job but the pay scales would be much higher. You would however have to put up with 5/6 years of medical school to do that, although that could be broken up with intercalations in lab stuff.
Not an easy question to answer I'm afraid. It really depends on the type of research that interests you the most. It sounds as though you are keen on laboratory based research, but there are alternatives (my own research work is clinical, I work with elderly patients).

Perhaps start by narrowing it down to a few key disciplines, for example, Botany, Zoology, Medical Physiology, Genetics etc. Don't get too worried about the specifics at this stage. Then take a look at prospectuses!

If you want to follow an academic career (research and/or teaching at a university) it is likely that you will need to study for a PhD following your first degree. However, commercial research work (drug development/clinical trials) may only require a good first degree in a related subject.

Good luck!

DrT

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending