The Student Room Group

Overcoming Depression without Medication?

Can it be done solely via cognitive/dialetical behavioural therapy??

Is it ill advised to not take them?

I find the idea of doing so really aversive.
Reply 1
In my personal experience I've been on about 5 or 6 different antidepressants, 2-3 dosages of each. Recently my GP and I 'experimented', in short terms, what I'd be like on no medication what so ever. I may have been worse on some medications, and some worked but declined over a short period of time, but being off them I've gone straight back to how I felt before trying anything. I must admit that most people find benefits after just the first type of depressant, I suppose I've just been rather unfortunate.

I may have been only suffering for just over 2 years, but my depression is rather severe. I had a brief try at CBT last year, but i ended up only having 2/6 sessions in total due to weather (blooming snow), and never got the opportunity to reschedule. I've begun it again, a max of 20 sessions, and during this time if its apparent that its not for me then I'll be referred for some other type of therapy.

Overall, this is only my experience, but it depends on the yourself and the prescriber treating you. they may wait and see and want to see you in a few weeks, they feel comfortable to prescribe medication on the spot in the first appointment (which is what they did with me).

Feel free to message me if you feel the need to.
I've recovered from depression twice now, both times without medication! I didn't like the idea of taking meds as I wanted to do it on my own! I did take propranolol for my anxiety but that's all! It can be done! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I've recovered from depression with not anti depressants as my doctor didn't want me on them under 18. I've had depression for years and it got worse before it got better. I still have relapses of my depression now, but I'd say it is absoloutely possible.
Reply 4
So about a week has passed. I have been feeling really low, heightened anxiety, suicidal thoughts, inability to sleep at night and get up in the morning and constant relapse). I finally "caved" in and went to my GP where I got a prescription for Fluoxetine.

However, I'm absolutely terrified about taking the pills. I have no idea why I'm being irrational here.

I keep reading conflicting advice and the articles against medication stick out like a sore thumb in my mind. Plus, something inside of me keeps telling me that it will be all ok if I get my sleep cycle sorted out but what I'm currently trying to do obviously isn't work. I hate feelings this ****ty, but at the same time, life just seems so hopeless and bleak.

Someone talk some sense into me!
It really depends on how severe your depression is.

If you have severe depression, and I mean severe, then medication should be a big option.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
So about a week has passed. I have been feeling really low, heightened anxiety, suicidal thoughts, inability to sleep at night and get up in the morning and constant relapse). I finally "caved" in and went to my GP where I got a prescription for Fluoxetine.

However, I'm absolutely terrified about taking the pills. I have no idea why I'm being irrational here.

I keep reading conflicting advice and the articles against medication stick out like a sore thumb in my mind. Plus, something inside of me keeps telling me that it will be all ok if I get my sleep cycle sorted out but what I'm currently trying to do obviously isn't work. I hate feelings this ****ty, but at the same time, life just seems so hopeless and bleak.

CBT will be very, very hard without a rational mind; rational mind being not depressed and having a blurred view on everything.

The medicine that you have been given should be taken, you have suicidal thoughts. If you have these recurring thoughts about killing yourself, you could be hospitalised as you're a danger to yourself.

I take quetiapine and it really is helping me, and it is definitely not a placebo effect. I have bipolar, and apparently schizophrenia and maybe a identity disorder.

Where have you read that psychiatric medication is bad?

And for all those people who have been saying that they have gotten over depression, you may not have had depression. People have very sad times in their lives and sometimes doctors diagnose people with depression. However, for those people on this forum, you probably had mild or moderate depression. OP on the other hand, has severe depression, and anti-depressants should be taken for severe depression.

Take the medicine to get rid of the horrible thoughts and to help you to feel less down, only then can CBT be really helpful. Studies have shown that CBT and medication helps to improve psychiatric disorders.
Original post by iJess
I've recovered from depression with not anti depressants as my doctor didn't want me on them under 18. I've had depression for years and it got worse before it got better. I still have relapses of my depression now, but I'd say it is absoloutely possible.

You do realise that you can have different severities of depression, it's not just black and white.

I have bipolar and apparently I may have schizophrenia and an identity disorder, I'm 16 and I've been given medication. So it's not just because you're under 18, it's more so the severity of the disorder, and the type of disorder.

OP may be suffering from severe depression, so they should take their medication or they'll risk being hospitalised. In this way they're not only endangering themselves but they're not accepting treatment.

Plus, this thread reminds me of the stigma of having a mental health disorder.

Just for the record: Anti-Depressants are usually not a long-term solution. Depending on the severity of the depression you simply need them to get into a state, where therapy makes sense. Anti-Depressants without therapy won't work, therapy without Anti-Depressants won't work, as long as the patient is too depressed for it. Of course you need to take the Anti-Depressants as long as you are prescribed them. Some people just stop as soon as it gets better, but that means there is a high probability to get back into that state and then enhance the time you need to take the medication.
=> Don't worry. Reading around in this forum, you should also find plenty of people with postive experiences.
Can it be done solely via cognitive/dialetical behavioural therapy??

Is it ill advised to not take them?

I find the idea of doing so really aversive.

In my opinion, and experience, yes it can. I have done both CBT and DBT, and I can say that DBT has definitely helped me loads, and has got me to a point where I feel I can control my illness (BPD with psychotic features, depression, substance abuse). Yes I am also on medication (antidepressants, antipsychotics and also mood stabilisers in the past), but I feel that it is the therapy that has really helped me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
sometimes medication works really well for some people. others not so much - it does nothing, and others still it makes it worse.

id highly recommend doing what youve suggested first, as long as your immediate health isnt in direct danger.

also talking about things with people is really good too
Original post by lonelybrummie

And for all those people who have been saying that they have gotten over depression, you may not have had depression. People have very sad times in their lives and sometimes doctors diagnose people with depression. However, for those people on this forum, you probably had mild or moderate depression. OP on the other hand, has severe depression, and anti-depressants should be taken for severe depression..

To be honest, I have known people who have had severe depression (sectioned and in hospital) who have recovered from depression solely from therapy. When I have been in hospitals/crisis houses, the general consensus is that with problems such as depression (and the large majority of people in these places have severe depression), medication is not the answer - lifestyle changes and therapy are the things tht really work, along with intense support.

Yes the majority of people who have severe depression do take meds, but that does not mean that it is required, or that people who recover from depression without meds are not severely depressed (or that they don't have depression).

For other issues such as psychotic disorders, medication is more important, but there are still people who live with disorders such as schizophrenia without meds, but use therapy, peer support, psycho education, talking treatments and other techniques.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My GP was about to prescribe me antidepressants until I mentioned that I had 4 exams in the next few weeks - the first few weeks of taking them are when the side effects are worst is what I've heard. I managed to overcome the worst bit of my depression & anxiety (I still have occasional bad days) through counselling, so it can be done without medication.

I think that antidepressants should be used as a treatment for depression alongside therapy, as they don't cure depression - they don't tackle the root cause at all, they just alleviate the symptoms. However some people have depression so severe that without the medication they'd really struggle to even get out of bed or do anything at all, and they make a hell of a difference to the lives of those people, so they shouldn't be dismissed as being such a bad thing because to some people they're a lifesaver.

I do think that GPs prescribe them a bit too freely (I had one appointment on a particularly bad day when I was also feeing physically ill and was about to be prescribed some), but again, some people would be in an awful state without them.
You do realise that you can have different severities of depression, it's not just black and white.

I have bipolar and apparently I may have schizophrenia and an identity disorder, I'm 16 and I've been given medication. So it's not just because you're under 18, it's more so the severity of the disorder, and the type of disorder.

OP may be suffering from severe depression, so they should take their medication or they'll risk being hospitalised. In this way they're not only endangering themselves but they're not accepting treatment.

Often people who are under 18 are not prescribed anti depressants due to black box warnings. Only really psychiatrists will prescribe, and not many people with psychiatric problems are referred to mental health services. Some drugs like antipsychotics and mood stabilisers are more often prescribed to young people with bipolar/psychosis than anti depressants offered to people with depression.

Also just to point out for the OPs benefit too. The likelihood of being hospitalised for not taking your medication is very low, especially if its antidepressants.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14

Yep my depression has returned recently but worse I'm at my wits end

Quick Reply

Latest