The Student Room Group

I cant find a clearing place!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Ghille
Take a gap year.

Yeah psychology is not well respected anyway
Original post by Amo1234
I achieved ABBBC! are the clearing spaces they show next thursday not only for english students though?

Are those highers? If so you won't find many (if any) English universities ready to take you as they will require A level equivalents (advanced highers). It has nothing to do with where you live, though, just the qualifications you offer.
Reply 22
I heard both Uni of Birmingham and Coventry have places in Business or Psychology and both are talking to anyone who has there results already
Clearing is useless for Scottish students looking for places in Scotland, unless you want to end up at UWS.
If you want to get into a decent modern University I would go with a gap year.
If you want to go to a Russell Group Uni, I'd go to college for a year and do some extra highers or a couple of advanced highers and apply again next year.

If you check Unistats, going for a University like UWS lowers your prospects. You'll most likely drop your income after graduation by a few thousand pounds a year compared to if you had gone to a university higher up in the league tables.

If worst comes to worst and you go for a place in clearing at UWS, you can always transfer to a better University. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781424
Original post by Good bloke
Are those highers? If so you won't find many (if any) English universities ready to take you as they will require A level equivalents (advanced highers). It has nothing to do with where you live, though, just the qualifications you offer.

Neither highers or advanced highers are the equivalent to an a-level. Advanced highers are more difficult than a-levels and highers are easier.
Original post by TicketyBox
Neither highers or advanced highers are the equivalent to an a-level. Advanced highers are more difficult than a-levels and highers are easier.

That is a silly quibble. In practical terms they are used in the same way as A levels (just as the baccalaureate is), while highers are broadly seen as equivalent to the AS.
Reply 26
yeah! i will call them up again tomorrow and see if there are any more available places! fingers crossed.
Reply 27
try not to worry too much at the moment. you still have time, until more universities will be releasing their vacancies.
Reply 28
If I applied for a university in England, what unis do you most recommend? I would prefer to go to one in Newcastle or Manchester. I have now received an unconditional offer from Glasgow university however don't want to do it as its campus is in Dumfries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Reply 30
Newcastle have listed Psychology in their clearing list - they put it on their website today. Asking for ABB. Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's a forum on here which states the universities link to the clearing pages-its a good place to start. Also you could try searching on Google for example 'business clearing university 2013"! Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by Amo1234
I have now received an unconditional offer from Glasgow university however don't want to do it as its campus is in Dumfries.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dumfries isn't bad, sure it's not a city but it has it's merits. I'm currently studying there, if you've got any questions feel free to ask.
Reply 33
Do you enjoy it?? Is there good nightlife?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Amo1234
I achieved ABBBC! are the clearing spaces they show next thursday not only for english students though?

Sheffield have clearing spaces in both subjects, wanting ABB I believe. You should look at their website. Best of luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Okay English results day has come! Hopefully I will be able to find a course now!! Fingers crossed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Called up Aberdeen university however she said she thinks these places are only for English students! She took down my details anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Got an offer! Could not be happier! Thanks for everyone's help 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Amo1234
Got an offer! Could not be happier! Thanks for everyone's help 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats. Where did you get in? And for which subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Aberdeen university to do psychology!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest