The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

Multimedia Journalism at Bournemouth

Hey, fellow BAMMJ here.

Currently studying the course so I thought if anyone had any questions or anything, I'm more than happy to answer them :smile:

Scroll to see replies

How many hours a week do you spend in classes/lectures?
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
Reply 2
Original post by JoeWilliamsIsCool
How many hours a week do you spend in classes/lectures?

In the beginning I did two hours of shorthand, two hours of Media Journalism and Society, two hours of media law, an hour of peer assisted learning, two hours of news and features....and I think I'm missing something but I'm not sure but I got Monday's off in term one and wednesdays and a few afternoons off and one full day as far as I can remember.

I would recommend not going out every weekend as it can really get in the way of work.....and of money :')
Sounds good, thanks for the reply.
Reply 4
Original post by JoeWilliamsIsCool
Sounds good, thanks for the reply.

No bother, if you do have any more questions just message me or whatever :smile:
Original post by E_Rewcastle94
Hey, fellow BAMMJ here.

Currently studying the course so I thought if anyone had any questions or anything, I'm more than happy to answer them :smile:

Any tips for a good journalism personal statement?
What exactly is the application process ... Is there an interview process?
Where else did you apply and do you have any advice for applying to BU for journalism?
Sorry for all the questions haha :smile: x
Reply 6
Original post by taylorswiftx
Any tips for a good journalism personal statement?
What exactly is the application process ... Is there an interview process?
Where else did you apply and do you have any advice for applying to BU for journalism?
Sorry for all the questions haha :smile: x

It's fine. My personal statement was very centralised around media theory and how the journalism industry itself is transforming from straightforward print media to a more interactive online based industry.
I want to be a music journalist so I outlined any experience I'd already had, I'd done some newsroom experience at 3 local papers and had two blogs and contributed for online music blogs also.

All you really need to do is convey how passionate you are about the industry and going into journalism. A lot of people who just applied because they thought it was going to be a walk in the park found out quickly it's one of the most demanding courses.

There is an interview, although they call it an activity day. As far as I can remember I submitted my application at the beginning of October and was invited down for an activity day in December a couple of weeks later I was then given my conditional offer. At the activity day you have a taster of some of the modules, looking at the equipment and software and talking to the lecturers. There is also a little interview with one of the lecturers, I had mine with Dan Hogan (who is a legend btw. Easily the best lecturer there) whilst we were in a features taster. He asked what experience I had, what interested me etc. then looked at my portfolio (which was just an online blog that had everything I'd ever written on there) and we argued a bit over the fact that maybe an all rounded course studying law and public affairs might not be right, but apparently my passion for journalism won him over.

I applied for Nottingham trent, Westminster, Brunel & De Montfort. Tips for BU? Just don't be shy, make yourself heard and remembered. Don't be afraid to show how passionate you are and how serious you are about BU if it's your first choice uni. BU was really the only uni I wanted to go to so I made sure to say that and tell them that I'd only take a year out, study more, do more experience and reapply the next year.

If you've got any more questions just ask :biggrin: I don't mind answering them at all. I'm happy to help out.
Good luck :biggrin:
Original post by E_Rewcastle94
It's fine. My personal statement was very centralised around media theory and how the journalism industry itself is transforming from straightforward print media to a more interactive online based industry.
I want to be a music journalist so I outlined any experience I'd already had, I'd done some newsroom experience at 3 local papers and had two blogs and contributed for online music blogs also.

All you really need to do is convey how passionate you are about the industry and going into journalism. A lot of people who just applied because they thought it was going to be a walk in the park found out quickly it's one of the most demanding courses.

There is an interview, although they call it an activity day. As far as I can remember I submitted my application at the beginning of October and was invited down for an activity day in December a couple of weeks later I was then given my conditional offer. At the activity day you have a taster of some of the modules, looking at the equipment and software and talking to the lecturers. There is also a little interview with one of the lecturers, I had mine with Dan Hogan (who is a legend btw. Easily the best lecturer there) whilst we were in a features taster. He asked what experience I had, what interested me etc. then looked at my portfolio (which was just an online blog that had everything I'd ever written on there) and we argued a bit over the fact that maybe an all rounded course studying law and public affairs might not be right, but apparently my passion for journalism won him over.

I applied for Nottingham trent, Westminster, Brunel & De Montfort. Tips for BU? Just don't be shy, make yourself heard and remembered. Don't be afraid to show how passionate you are and how serious you are about BU if it's your first choice uni. BU was really the only uni I wanted to go to so I made sure to say that and tell them that I'd only take a year out, study more, do more experience and reapply the next year.

If you've got any more questions just ask :biggrin: I don't mind answering them at all. I'm happy to help out.
Good luck :biggrin:

I haven't sorted a portfolio out.. Do you have any tips? I haven't had much experience at all but I have secured a work placement at my local paper .. Will this limit my chances? Academically my grades are high.. How much do they look at grades?

Also... The media English degree at BU looks good, can you apply for both? Or does that limit your chances
Thanks so much :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
I have been put off by this course by everyone saying short hand is horrible to learn and makes the course miserable and that the first year is so tough as well as interview process any advice that would be helpful or re assuring as I really would like to do this course
I'm looking to study multimedia journalism (BU not my first option as I think S/ Solent will be better for me, as an individual, and because I don't think I'd get the required grades for BU) - just wondered, how do you find the course? I just want to know from personal experiences. Is it heavily reliant on group work? Thanks in advance! :smile:
Original post by tiff182
I'm looking to study multimedia journalism (BU not my first option as I think S/ Solent will be better for me, as an individual, and because I don't think I'd get the required grades for BU) - just wondered, how do you find the course? I just want to know from personal experiences. Is it heavily reliant on group work? Thanks in advance! :smile:

I didn't gt the required grades but was still accepted onto the course.

The course can be stressful and manic at times but honestly, it's worth it in the end when you see what you have actually managed to produce. It does require a lot of work but it prepares you for the real world and makes your placements a lot easier because you already half know what is expected of you.

Appart from the newsdays there isn't much group work it is mainly individual work but for the TV packages and radio you can help each other out and make the projects more fun.
Original post by Lmvasco
I have been put off by this course by everyone saying short hand is horrible to learn and makes the course miserable and that the first year is so tough as well as interview process any advice that would be helpful or re assuring as I really would like to do this course

Shorthand is hard to do but only if you don't keep on top of it and don't practice. The course isn't easy but then what's the point in doing something that doesn't challenge you at least a little bit? First year is not that tough, at the time you think its horrible but you only need to get 40% in each module to make second year, which isn't a lot. And the interview process is very casual, you get taken round the media school and are shown all the rooms we use and then they just ask you to write a short piece about something so they can see how you write. The lecturers (2 of them) go around and just get to know you and ask about what you want to do. If you have ever written anything before (blog posts, articles, whatever) bring them with you just so you can show them what you have done but honestly its very casual and relaxed so don't panic :smile:
Hi Guys,

I'm a second year BAMMJ and have gone through first year so if you have any questions I will try and answer them as honestly as possible :smile:
Original post by alicefiancet
I didn't gt the required grades but was still accepted onto the course.

The course can be stressful and manic at times but honestly, it's worth it in the end when you see what you have actually managed to produce. It does require a lot of work but it prepares you for the real world and makes your placements a lot easier because you already half know what is expected of you.

Appart from the newsdays there isn't much group work it is mainly individual work but for the TV packages and radio you can help each other out and make the projects more fun.

Thanks for that! Still applying for BU but who knows! :-)
Original post by Lmvasco

Hi Lmvasco,

I graduated as a BAMMJ in 2010. The shorthand is part of the NCTJ qualification, which is additional to the degree.
I actually ended up failing the shorthand, as I just couldn't do it very well! It meant that I didn't complete my NCTJ qualification, but I still graduated with a 2:1 in Multimedia Journalism :smile:
So don't be put off by the short hand! You might find you love it, in which case great! But if you hate it, it's not the end of the world :smile:
Happy to answer any more questions if you have them.

Alice
Reply 15
Hi! I have my interview in 2 weeks, was wondering is the interview day different to the activity day? And what could I be expecting at the interview? Pretty nervous.
Reply 16
Original post by ellenaw
Hi! I have my interview in 2 weeks, was wondering is the interview day different to the activity day? And what could I be expecting at the interview? Pretty nervous.

Hello! I had my interview for Multimedia Journalism at Bournemouth a week before Christmas. The interview and activity day are the same thing, we were there for a few hours so if you have anyone with you you'll have to let them know that you're going to be a while. Basically after we signed in they assigned us to 1 of 3 groups. I was in group 1. Once the day starts parents can go to a talk about finance and accommodation, but my parents said they barely mentioned either of those things, so it's up to your parents/guardians whether they want to go or not.

All 3 groups went to a room where the course leader gave a bit of a talk about the course and the university and then she answered any questions that people had. Then she introduced us to two students who were helping throughout the day. My group went with one of the students first to the TV production room where she just answered any more questions we had relating to the course, uni, town etc for about half an hour. Then she took us to a room full of computers and left us with the course leaders while she took another group.

(This is the interview part) When we had all settled down at a computer the course leader told us to write a short article about something that had been in the news in the last 24 hours. She also asked us to put any previous work that we had done/had published on the tables so they could look at it (they don't ask for that in the email). Then two lecturers walked around the room to 'interview' each person and kind of read what they had written. All she asked me was if I had any previous experience working at a newspaper (which I didn't), if I had any examples of work with me (which I didn't) and why I wanted to study Multimedia Journalism at Bournemouth. The one on one part of the interview only lasts for like a minute because of how many people they have to go through so it's nothing to worry about :smile:

Then another student took us to the radio room to answer any more questions we had and then we went home!

Overall really don't worry, it's pretty informal. Although there were boys dressed in full on suit and ties there! If you're a good writer then don't worry too much about previous experience etc. Because I'm predicted BBD in A levels, had no experience, and no examples of my work with me, and there were other people there who were predicted AAA had a folder full of work and experience working at newspapers. They gave me an offer anyway, I was convinced I wouldn't get one. I think she was impressed with the written work that I did during the interview though.

Just dress nice and smart, take some examples of work and make sure you're up to date on the news (it can be plain local news) so you have something interesting and detailed to write about. Anyway, sorry this is so long, I couldn't find much on the interview when I was looking so I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 17
Ah thank you so much, this is literally the most helpful thing ever!! Appreciate your help a lot.
I'm much more calm about it all now, I thought it was going to be like full on interviews but I feel more relaxed now. Congrats on getting an offer!
Have no idea what to wear haha, thank you so much again! :smile:
Reply 18
Hi, I have a place on the multimedia journalism course at BU to start this September but I'm not sure whether it's best to do the course here or at Southampton solent? Thanks
What was Bournemouth like compared to Brunel, I'm applying to both but I'm not sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending