The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Languages

Anyone doing them in French and/or German this year?

Scroll to see replies

I'm doing German! :smile:
Do you know which texts you're studying yet. We're doing Der Besuch and Die Wolke.
Reply 3
I'm doing French and German! We're going to be studying "Biedermann und die Brandstifter", but there has been no mention of a second text yet so I assume we'll be doing the cultural topic instead. For French, we're studying "Huis Clos" and "Monsieur Ibrahim et les Fleurs du Coran". :smile:
For French, we're doing "Huis Clos" as well, and also "Le Petit Prince"
For German it's "Die Wolke" and "Der Besuch"
Yes, I know both of mine. Draussen vor der Tur and Katerina Blume
OMG, why haven't I subscribed to this thread yet? I'm doing both French and German. :biggrin: Shall provide more on that later.
I'm doing French but it's not going to help me for my first choice uni application (I want to study maths) so I'm not going to work that hard for it.

Is anyone doing the 'language in work' unit or know anything about it?
I have no idea what the language in work unit is..
Original post by alanameatsix_
I have no idea what the language in work unit is..

Your folio is two essays and the limit used to be 500 words, it's now 750 words I think.
If you do the 'language in work' unit then you don't do the two essays and instead you do one project which is 1000 words. But that's about all I know about it.
My school(as unorganised at it is) told me it was two 750 max essays on the texts in English and also a background topic in German/French(doing them both) on topic of your choice eg the Wall.
How many people are in all of your classes, at Gala,we've only got 2 doing AH German and 4 for AH French.
Reply 12
I miss AH French.. :tongue: if anyone wants to know anything about AH languages courses or has any general questions, feel free to ask :smile:
Is it true the speaking assessment with an examiner is 20 minutes? And also how long does the background topic have to be?
Reply 14
Original post by EcosseSchottland
Is it true the speaking assessment with an examiner is 20 minutes? And also how long does the background topic have to be?

Our's lasted around 15-20 mins but you get to submit a form beforehand with the topics you want to talk about, so you don't need to talk about your weak topics :smile: it really doesn't feel like 20 mins either :smile:

I can't help with background topics I'm afraid, I did two texts and therefore didn't do a background topic :smile:
There's 4 people doing AH German at my school and no AH French!
Original post by IAmCookie
Our's lasted around 15-20 mins but you get to submit a form beforehand with the topics you want to talk about, so you don't need to talk about your weak topics :smile: it really doesn't feel like 20 mins either :smile:

I can't help with background topics I'm afraid, I did two texts and therefore didn't do a background topic :smile:

Thanks for the help, much appreciated :smile:
There's 4 people doing AH German at my school and no AH French!

My school is the only one in the Borders that's doing AH German!
Reply 18
Yes, I know both of mine. Draussen vor der Tur and Katerina Blume

AH German here.

We're doing "Draussen vor der Tur" as well! And a novel called "Sansibar oder der letzte Grund" which I have never heard of:confused:
I've read "Der Besuch" and "Le Petit Prince" in English and plan to read the other two in English before I go back just to get a feel for the texts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending