The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Languages

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EcosseSchottland
My school is the only one in the Borders that's doing AH German!

There's not so much interest in languages nowadays which really sucks. I had to move schools to do AH as I was the only one at my old school doing Higher and they wouldn't let me continue.
To do AH German me and another pupil had to really push to get it available as it hadn't even been a course for six years.
I did Advanced Higher French last year and just found out that I got 50 for my speaking. That's made my day haha.

Also, good luck to this years batch of AH linguists. :smile:
To do AH German me and another pupil had to really push to get it available as it hadn't even been a course for six years.

I tried for it at my old school so much. I spoke to the teacher in charge of timetabling, the German teachers spoke to them too and my parents but it was still a no.

And well done for getting 50 on your speaking! That's wonderful!
Original post by alanameatsix_
I tried for it at my old school so much. I spoke to the teacher in charge of timetabling, the German teachers spoke to them too and my parents but it was still a no.
That's so unfair, but at least you got to do it in the end. It certainly feels like some people go out of their way to prevent students from doing languages.
That's so unfair, but at least you got to do it in the end. It certainly feels like some people go out of their way to prevent students from doing languages.

I know, it's horrible!
Reply 26
My AH German class consists of me and one other girl, who just happens to be a native speaker. :s-smilie: It's all good though as we can both help each other out.
Anyone know their percentages for French and/ or German? Hopefully I'll get mine on Monday.
Anyone know their percentages for French and/ or German? Hopefully I'll get mine on Monday.

No - I know I got A1s for both of them, but I think I want to remain blissfully ignorant of the raw marks! :colondollar:
Original post by ladymarshmallow
No - I know I got A1s for both of them, but I think I want to remain blissfully ignorant of the raw marks! :colondollar:

I just want to know the parts that I'm weakest at, so I know what I need to improve. Most likely it'll be listening for French and German.
Reply 30
I have no idea what band I have - all I know is I have an A at Higher French and I'm happy with that :biggrin:

Languages wise, I'm doing AH French, Higher Spanish and A-level Portuguese this year so I'm basically spending 60% of my year in the languages corridor :lol: (the other 40% will be taken up by AH Art which officially requires at least 10 hours of work a week)

I'm pretty sure that we will be studying "Huis Clos" and "L'eau de collines" for AH French this year. We just finished watching the 1st part of the movie version of "L'eau de collines" on Thursday and it was so bad that everyone felt depressed by the end of it. Eurgh it was terrible :coma:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 31
In der Schule habe ich für ein Jahr Deutsch gelernt, aber ich habe viel mehr erfahren, als ich mit meinem Deutschen Freund gesprochen habe. Noch ist mein Deutsch schrecklich : P
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by srm4
I have no idea what band I have - all I know is I have an A at Higher French and I'm happy with that :biggrin:

Languages wise, I'm doing AH French, Higher Spanish and A-level Portuguese this year so I'm basically spending 60% of my year in the languages corridor :lol: (the other 40% will be taken up by AH Art which officially requires at least 10 hours of work a week)

I'm pretty sure that we will be studying "Jean de Florette" and "L'eau de collines" for AH French this year. We just finished watching the movie version of "Jean" on Thursday and it was so bad that everyone felt depressed by the end of it. Eurgh it was terrible :coma:

I think 8/13 of my teaching periods will be in the language department and a lot of my free periods.
Original post by ladymarshmallow

I found out today I got A2s for both. Wee bit disappointed not getting 85%+ in French as it's my stronger one. Fine with A2 in German as I didn't get taught for half the year!
Original post by skier16
AH German here.

We're doing "Draussen vor der Tur" as well! And a novel called "Sansibar oder der letzte Grund" which I have never heard of:confused:

I know I started my AH German 3 years ago but I did Sansibar! It's basically a story about people trying to hide a wooden monk statue from Nazis (I think). Or something like that...
Reply 35
Original post by GermanScientist
I know I started my AH German 3 years ago but I did Sansibar! It's basically a story about people trying to hide a wooden monk statue from Nazis (I think). Or something like that...

Sansibar oder der letzte Grund? That's what we're doing! But not until later in the year. How did you find it?

We're doing our play at the moment which is 'Draussen vor der Tuer' by Borchert. I have honestly never read something so depressing:frown: Saying that, I am actually quite enjoying it:biggrin:
We're doing "Der Besuch". I've read it in English first to get to get to grips with it. "Die Wolke" would be the second text, if we aren't doing a background topic.

Anyone doing a background topic for either of the languages?
Aww always nice to see language enthusiasts in ScotQuals :smile: I did AH Spanish and H French at school. Feel free to ask about anything if you have any questions! :smile:

Doing those two as well as Japanese at uni; I really hope there's a potential Japanese fanatic like moi here as well :holmes:
Original post by Quick-use
Aww always nice to see language enthusiasts in ScotQuals :smile: I did AH Spanish and H French at school. Feel free to ask about anything if you have any questions! :smile:

Doing those two as well as Japanese at uni; I really hope there's a potential Japanese fanatic like moi here as well :holmes:

Afraid not Japanese, but hoping to study Russian at university, and am also studying the emergence of modern Japan for AH History! :biggrin:
Reply 39
Original post by Quick-use

Hi, I've just got a quick question that I hope you won't mind answering. This year I'll be crashing Higher Spanish and I'd like to know if you could give me some tips as to how much grammar I need to know for Higher, e.g. what tenses do you need to know, etc. I've already got an A in both Higher French and German and I'm taking them for AH this year, so I know my knowledge of French will help me to some extent, but I'd just like to have a little bit of advice. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending