The Student Room Group

Will three A Levels matter?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Katie_96
It's not the fact I can't handle it though, I'm not finding it so difficult that I need to drop it, I just know that without it I could work a lot harder in my other three subjects and achieve better grades. Also because we wont have January exams I will have 10 exams all within the space of three weeks and that is a lot of revision to do in one go, and it may mean that I don't get to revise for say chemistry, as much as I would like to because I spent the time doing further maths revision when Unis will only look at 3 A Levels anyway. I completely get what you're saying though, I just don't know whether to risk taking three and not spend enough time on the three that I need most.

I sat 10 papers this summer and it's not as bad as you think. As long as you have sufficiently prepared, then all is well.

A vast majority of successful ChemEng applicants to Cambridge, Imperial, etc.. will have A2 FM.

But please don't solely take advice off TSR. It would be best to speak to a professional about this. Perhaps try out with 4 A2s and see how it goes? You can always drop FM if you think it's too much.
Reply 21
Original post by Lunch_Box
I sat 10 papers this summer and it's not as bad as you think. As long as you have sufficiently prepared, then all is well.

A vast majority of successful ChemEng applicants to Cambridge, Imperial, etc.. will have A2 FM.

10 just seems like such a lot, when did you start revising?

I think I will probably need it, it's just managing to spend enough time on each subject!!
Reply 22

I think I will probably need it, it's just managing to spend enough time on each subject!!

Spoiler

As for Chemical Engineering it is highly competitive though Imperial say they look for A*A*A or A*AAA so it appears 3's just fine :smile:

For AS, around February time. But I'm getting ready for A2 by learning some stuff already.
Reply 24
Original post by joostan

Spoiler

As for Chemical Engineering it is highly competitive though Imperial say they look for A*A*A or A*AAA so it appears 3's just fine :smile:

14 exams?! You poor thing thats horrible, someone should send Michael Gove back through A Levels again and he can see what hell he's putting us through.

Imperial's ChemEng course is one of the best, but I went to the open day and it just seemed like no one had any free time at all, and while I don't really like slacking anyway I don't want to spend 24 horus a day, 7 days a week working which it seems is what Imperial expects of you :-(
Reply 25
Original post by Lunch_Box
For AS, around February time. But I'm getting ready for A2 by learning some stuff already.

You've started already?! I was planning on reading up on C3, C4 and D1, but I'm doing a Nuffield placement at the moment so I haven't had time to start anything yet. Is the work paying off?
Reply 26
14 exams?! You poor thing thats horrible, someone should send Michael Gove back through A Levels again and he can see what hell he's putting us through.

Imperial's ChemEng course is one of the best, but I went to the open day and it just seemed like no one had any free time at all, and while I don't really like slacking anyway I don't want to spend 24 horus a day, 7 days a week working which it seems is what Imperial expects of you :-(

Yeah, but to be honest. Chemical Engineering's not for the faint hearted :laugh:
My mum has a degree in it and says it got pretty horrendous at some stages :tongue:
Reply 27
Original post by joostan
Yeah, but to be honest. Chemical Engineering's not for the faint hearted :laugh:
My mum has a degree in it and says it got pretty horrendous at some stages :tongue:

The amount of work is ridiculous, but I find stuff like that so interesting, and it leads into such good jobs afterwards!

Oh dear, when did she complete her degree?

I'm going to have no social life at university! :bl:
Reply 28
The amount of work is ridiculous, but I find stuff like that so interesting, and it leads into such good jobs afterwards!

Oh dear, when did she complete her degree?

I'm going to have no social life at university! :bl:

You and me both. I'm a wannabe mathmo :tongue:
1984 I think :smile:
Take them all.

FP2 and FP3 will be very useful for Chem Eng. Differential equations and everything...

Now, sit S2 anyway.

Just teach yourself M3/4 content but don't exactly sit the exams...

Cambridge and Bath would definitely want the further maths A Level.
Reply 30
Is further maths compulsory for Cambridge's and Bath's course? If not then you can drop it. As long as you are predicted 3 A stars you have very good chance of acceptance at Cambridge.
Reply 31
Original post by joostan
You and me both. I'm a wannabe mathmo :tongue:
1984 I think :smile:

ahh good luck to you! :biggrin:

apparently it's only getting harder, so if she found it hard then I'm going to die under a mountain of work
Reply 32
Original post by l'evil fish
take them all.

Fp2 and fp3 will be very useful for chem eng. Differential equations and everything...

Now, sit s2 anyway.

Just teach yourself m3/4 content but don't exactly sit the exams...

Cambridge and bath would definitely want the further maths a level.

Original post by ben kenobi
is further maths compulsory for cambridge's and bath's course? If not then you can drop it. As long as you are predicted 3 a stars you have very good chance of acceptance at cambridge.

contradictions are so difficult for me guys :bawling:
Reply 33
ahh good luck to you! :biggrin:

apparently it's only getting harder, so if she found it hard then I'm going to die under a mountain of work

Thanks. :smile: You too.
For the record keeping FM is not a bad thing, it's less difficult than people make out :tongue:
Reply 34
Original post by joostan
Thanks. :smile: You too.
For the record keeping FM is not a bad thing, it's less difficult than people make out :tongue:

no the AS went ok I think! M2 was tricky but I managed to get an A in M1 so hopefully that'll even out my grades a bit.

I've tried to give you a rep but I'm all repped out :frown: remind me and I'll do it tomorrow because you've helped so much!
Reply 35
no the AS went ok I think! M2 was tricky but I managed to get an A in M1 so hopefully that'll even out my grades a bit.

I've tried to give you a rep but I'm all repped out :frown: remind me and I'll do it tomorrow because you've helped so much!

Haha, I'm not worried about rep, I quite like being helpful :tongue:
contradictions are so difficult for me guys :bawling:

It's not compulsory because not everyone can do it, but if you have the chance they want it.
Reply 37
Original post by joostan
Haha, I'm not worried about rep, I quite like being helpful :tongue:

precisely why you deserve the rep, rather thana rep-hunter! :bubbles:

Original post by L'Evil Fish
It's not compulsory because not everyone can do it, but if you have the chance they want it.

I'll stick with it, and if I feel like the other subjects need to have more time spent on them then I'll drop it, do you think that would be ok?
precisely why you deserve the rep, rather thana rep-hunter! :bubbles:

I'll stick with it, and if I feel like the other subjects need to have more time spent on them then I'll drop it, do you think that would be ok?

Yeah, you can :smile:

But I doubt you'll find it too hard :tongue:
You've started already?! I was planning on reading up on C3, C4 and D1, but I'm doing a Nuffield placement at the moment so I haven't had time to start anything yet. Is the work paying off?

Learnt most of C3 and C4 yeah

Quick Reply

Latest