Original post by L'Evil Fish
Yeah, you can :smile:

But I doubt you'll find it too hard :tongue:

ahh I hope not :biggrin:

Original post by Lunch_Box
Learnt most of C3 and C4 yeah

Oh wow well done, is it a big step up?
Original post by Katie_96
This has probably been asked before, and I apologise if it has, but I was just wondering..

I would like to go to either Cambridge or Bath to do Chemical Engineering and at the moment I have just finished my first year of studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. However I kind of want to drop Further Maths, and everyone told me that would be completely fine, it is noraml to take three A2's and I've already done the M1 and M2 in Futher Maths I'll need for ChemEng, but then my form tutor told me I wouldn't stand even a small chance at getting into Cambridge with only three A2's and she's really reluctant in letting me drop out of Further Maths. It's not that it's too hard, I just think only doing three would allow me to focus better and get some more work experience.

Do any of you know how much it would matter/if it would matter at all?

THANK YOU IF YOU CAN HELP

It depends on how well you are doing at the moment, so don't make any decisions until after results. As a general rule, I would say:
Stick with further maths if you are confident in getting A*s in most of your other subjects (bear in mind that the work is significantly harder at A2) - i.e. if you achieved 90%+ average in most subjects.
If you find that you are currently struggling with the work - i.e. only just scraping As, then drop further maths, since most universities don't require it and it is more important to get top grades than to take extra subjects.
Whatever you do, if you're going to drop a subject drop further maths not any of the others (some unis, including Cambridge, only really count the combination of Maths + Further Maths as one A level).
However, bear in mind that although your offer will probably only be based upon three A levels, if you get an offer from Cambridge it will be A*AA(+) in Physics, Chemistry and Further Maths - which basically also requires an A/A* in Maths as well. However, if you don't take further maths you will probably be at a significant disadvantage compared to the other applicants (most of whom will have FM), and so if you do get an offer they may make it a bit harder. Also, I have been recommended to study two extra modules of FM (DE + FP3) over the summer before I start (I'm doing NatSci, which is one of the routes into ChemEng, although I guess you're picking the Engineering Tripos route...) - and I did Maths + Further Maths, including M1-M3 at A level. You may therefore be set loads of summer catch-up work to do before you start in order to get you up to a similar standard to everyone else.
Oh wow well done, is it a big step up?

Bigger than GCSE to AS but nothing too challenging.
Reply 43
4 AS levels, 3 A2 levels - my brother got an A*AA offer for History at Cambridge, it is rare for ANY university to ask for 4 A2 levels though if Further Mathematics is required then 4 A2 levels probably will be required, as Further Maths is often viewed as an "extra" or "additional" A Level
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Take them all.

FP2 and FP3 will be very useful for Chem Eng. Differential equations and everything...

Now, sit S2 anyway.

Just teach yourself M3/4 content but don't exactly sit the exams...

Cambridge and Bath would definitely want the further maths A Level.

Original post by Ben Kenobi
Is further maths compulsory for Cambridge's and Bath's course? If not then you can drop it. As long as you are predicted 3 A stars you have very good chance of acceptance at Cambridge.

Further Maths is not compulsary for the Bath course. From the website:
"Essential: Maths and Chemistry required at A2

Preference will be shown to students who are taking any of the following as their third subject:
Further Maths
Physics
Biology"

So OP, you would be fine at Bath with your choices, but Cambridge would raise an eyebrow as to why you dropped Further Maths, and you'll be disadvantaged as most ChemEng applicants will be doing all 4. But as others have said FP2 & FP3 are both really relevant, perhaps you could swap out D1 for M3?
(edited 10 years ago)

I'll stick with it, and if I feel like the other subjects need to have more time spent on them then I'll drop it, do you think that would be ok?

This thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2399908 has some very useful information directly from the admissions tutor at Corpus Christi, Cambridge.

It's 15 pages long, but it's worth reading through for their comments on specifically this issue. From memory, I think they generally prefer 3 stellar grades to 4 'merely' very good ones but that could vary according to the subject studied.

If you don't find the answer you want, the admissions tutor is going to start a new thread later this month (after results) so you could always ask specifically about your situation.

Quick Reply

Latest