The Student Room Group

Ebay question...

Hey, I sold a fairly large item on ebay and charged the buyer £5.49 for the P+P. Having just gone to post office, the postage actually cost £8.14 (!) so I am £3 out of pocket. I wouldn't have minded so much but the item didn't even sell for as much as I wanted it to. What should I do? Is there any way that if the buyer agrees they can pay me the extra postage?

Help appreciated! :smile:
Reply 1
from my experience, you'll be left out of pocket. if you politely email the person that purchased the item from you saying this, from their generosity, they may send you a few pounds extra.

I don't think there are any ways to make them pay you the extra amount, it's up to the buyer. next time, use the online postal calculator to work out the postage costs before you list the item on ebay

hope this helps & sorry it's not the answer you wanted
Reply 2
that's why you always over charge on the postage, or look at similar items and see how much they are charging for postage and packaging.

even if i know the postage and packaging, i ususally over charge anyway to make a few pennies!
Reply 3
Aye I always charge at least £2 over what it should be just in case.
Reply 4
You can try e-mailing the seller and ask them to pay extra, but they're under no obligation to do so and can infact complain to eBay saying that you're trying to hoik up the price of item.

regards
--marty
Reply 5
Thanks for the replies, but what I'm wondering is if the buyer does agree, how do you go about getting that money from them i.e. through paypal or whatever.

I don't wanna talk to the buyer about it if I don't even know how to go about it doing it - slightly unprofessional!
Reply 6
you can just tell them to send you another payment for the specified amount via paypal or it is possible to "Request money" from the paypal website if the buyer agrees to do so.
Reply 7
you will probably get minus feedback
Reply 8
You can't make them pay. You should've sent it standard parcels, as it would've been cheaper.
Reply 9
and you should have checked the price at the post office before hand
I would be tempted not to give +ve feedback if someone tried to make me pay more because they had made a mistake.
Reply 11
Well it's a shame but I think if I was the buyer I would think it was a bit cheeky of the seller to ask for extra money for a mistake they made! If I were you I would just take it as a lesson learnt. It's like the time I got conned by a Jewish man on the street into buying a £2 sample stick of incense...at first I was angry, but now I laugh and am a lot more cautious.

Latest

Trending

Trending