The Student Room Group

A level Choices

I'm currently still deciding on what a levels should I take in September and also I would like to know more information about each course.

I have no definite idea on what i would like to do as my career. but it will be based around arts or maybe around sciences.

For GCSEs I took, maths, english lang & lit, biology, chemistry, physics, maths, art, design technology resistant materials, french and ICT.

So, the a levels, I'm deciding between are Maths, Chemistry, Physics, ICT, Graphics, Art or Textiles. Choosing 4 in total.

Maths - AQA
Chemistry - AQA
Physics - Edexcel
ICT - OCR
Graphics - Edecel
Art - OCR
Textiles - AQA

Which set of subjects would be the best to leave my options in both areas?
Also, the main alevel I want to take are Art and Physics.

I would like to know how the art a level OCR is like, as I did AQA for GCSE. Is there a lot of difference between the two exam boards?

Also for the other subjects whats the course is like and is it worth it?

Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by gloria0816
I'm currently still deciding on what a levels should I take in September and also I would like to know more information about each course.

I have no definite idea on what i would like to do as my career. but it will be based around arts or maybe around sciences.

For GCSEs I took, maths, english lang & lit, biology, chemistry, physics, maths, art, design technology resistant materials, french and ICT.

So, the a levels, I'm deciding between are Maths, Chemistry, Physics, ICT, Graphics, Art or Textiles. Choosing 4 in total.

Maths - AQA
Chemistry - AQA
Physics - Edexcel
ICT - OCR
Graphics - Edecel
Art - OCR
Textiles - AQA

Which set of subjects would be the best to leave my options in both areas?
Also, the main alevel I want to take are Art and Physics.

I would like to know how the art a level OCR is like, as I did AQA for GCSE. Is there a lot of difference between the two exam boards?

Also for the other subjects whats the course is like and is it worth it?

Thank you.

To keep Physics as an option open you MUST take Maths and Physics.
As for art, I'm no expert but I imagine art is a good idea. :tongue:
A brief glance at a couple of Fine art courses at Oxford, UCL and Southampton, the only one which was named was art.
As for the fourth, I personally enjoy chemistry and think it's a fantastic subject, but you should pick something you think you'll enjoy :smile:
Reply 2
Chem is relatively easy and more definite
Reply 3
So Art, Physics, Maths & Chemistry is a good combination?
Reply 4
So Art, Physics, Maths & Chemistry is a good combination?

That depends on whether or not you like chemistry. If you don't I wouldn't recommend it :tongue:
Pick what you love, however in my opinion Art is better than Graphics or Textiles (if you're trying to get into arts courses or ones involving art like Architecture), taking Maths and Physics together is a very good idea, and for your fourth...Chem is more respected than ICT, and taking more than one art-focused A-level seems like suicide from a workload perspective.

Art, Maths, Chem and Physics would be where I went (if just from those A-levels) but go with your gut instinct.
Reply 6
Thank you for the advice, I think I will stick with these four, depending on my GCSE results.
Really appreciate you guys for answering my question, feel more confident now =)
Reply 7
Thank you for the advice, I think I will stick with these four, depending on my GCSE results.
Really appreciate you guys for answering my question, feel more confident now =)

NP :biggrin:
Reply 8
You could get a really interesting job in Art and Physics, I went to a lecture earlier this year about the Physics behind Art, and how we percieve things and why colours and 3D work, stuff that that!

good luck with your A Levels :-)
Reply 9
Original post by paradoxicalme
Pick what you love, however in my opinion Art is better than Graphics or Textiles (if you're trying to get into arts courses or ones involving art like Architecture), taking Maths and Physics together is a very good idea, and for your fourth...Chem is more respected than ICT, and taking more than one art-focused A-level seems like suicide from a workload perspective.

Art, Maths, Chem and Physics would be where I went (if just from those A-levels) but go with your gut instinct.

Just got my GCSE results today!
With
Maths -A
Art - A
ICT - A
Chemistry- A
Physics A (1 mark off A*)
DT Resistant Materials A*

So, what do you think i should do?

Maths, Art, ICT, Textiles, Graphics, Physics or Chemistry?
Just got my GCSE results today!
With
Maths -A
Art - A
ICT - A
Chemistry- A
Physics A (1 mark off A*)
DT Resistant Materials A*

So, what do you think i should do?

Maths, Art, ICT, Textiles, Graphics, Physics or Chemistry?

Congratulations! I'd say Maths, Art, Chemistry and Physics still :smile:
Reply 11
Congratulations! I'd say Maths, Art, Chemistry and Physics still :smile:

I was looking at
http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/search2014/bysubject/00178/architecture-3-years-ba/entry-requirements/

However, candidates who combine, for example, Fine Art & Design and Technology for two of their three A Levels or who offer sports-science or similar put themselves at a disadvantage.

and why would they say that for art & design and DT?

I was looking at
http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/search2014/bysubject/00178/architecture-3-years-ba/entry-requirements/

However, candidates who combine, for example, Fine Art & Design and Technology for two of their three A Levels or who offer sports-science or similar put themselves at a disadvantage.

and why would they say that for art & design and DT?

Maybe because the skills overlap? And also, they're respected subjects, but not as much as chemistry or maths or english lit and the like.
Reply 13
Maybe because the skills overlap? And also, they're respected subjects, but not as much as chemistry or maths or english lit and the like.

Isee, Thank you.
As I have chosen Art, Physics, Maths & Textiles.
But I have still got a week to decide & change.
I chose textiles over chemistry as I only scraped an a in GCSE so I think it would be difficult for me.
Anyway I will try the first week with textiles and if there is too much coursework with art then I think i will change to chemistry.

If I fiind it alright, by then end of as I will need to drop a subject so it will be either art or textiles, and this will leave me with 2 'good' subjects for uni requirements
Isee, Thank you.
As I have chosen Art, Physics, Maths & Textiles.
But I have still got a week to decide & change.
I chose textiles over chemistry as I only scraped an a in GCSE so I think it would be difficult for me.
Anyway I will try the first week with textiles and if there is too much coursework with art then I think i will change to chemistry.

If I fiind it alright, by then end of as I will need to drop a subject so it will be either art or textiles, and this will leave me with 2 'good' subjects for uni requirements

That sounds like a good plan. I do think textiles and art together sounds like an insane amount of coursework, but if it works for you do it :smile:
Reply 15
That sounds like a good plan. I do think textiles and art together sounds like an insane amount of coursework, but if it works for you do it :smile:

Thank you, i hope i can cope with it, as i didnt want to leave the art by itself if i didnt choose textiles. As it would be too sciency with 2 science and matjs. This would give me two routes for uni
Hi, My name is Ibrahim. I got my AS level results and they were:
Sociology - B
English Lang/Lit Combined - C
IT - D
Psychology - E
I really really need help and guidence with moving into A-level. I was thinking of doing AS ICT as well as A2 in my second year? Do you think I should do this? Please I'm kind of lost and confused asto what to actually do? I want to go further on and do an English Lang/Lit Combined degree to then become an English Teacher. I need help on what to do further now I know my results. I have a meeting on 28 August with my Sixth Form to discuss stuff. Please Please Please Help in any way you can. Much Obliged, ThankYou.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ibrahim-TeamGR
Hi, My name is Ibrahim. I got my AS level results and they were:
Sociology - B
English Lang/Lit Combined - C
IT - D
Psychology - E
I really really need help and guidence with moving into A-level. I was thinking of doing AS ICT as well as A2 in my second year? Do you think I should do this? Please I'm kind of lost and confused asto what to actually do? I want to go further on and do an English Lang/Lit Combined degree to then become an English Teacher. I need help on what to do further now I know my results. I have a meeting on 28 August with my Sixth Form to discuss stuff. Please Please Please Help in any way you can. Much Obliged, ThankYou.

Hi Ibrahim!

I can try my best and help you out here. Okay, you are aiming to study English at university in order to become a successful English teacher. Personally, I would say drop IT as it is not revelant to the course you wish to study in Uni. Also, I would advise you to keep your English to A2 as it is vital for you. However, I'm not discouraging you. If you truely think you can push up that IT grade, then I would say go for it. I wish you the best with for whatever your decision may be :smile:
Hey guys im choosing and confirming my alevel choices next week, i dint really know exactly what i want to! Im interested in criminals,law etc! And therfore stuck between physchology criminology and law for uni??any tips or advice, i know if i do criminology or physcology im most likely to try and get a phd in it as im more likely to get a job?but someones please hel! I want to use my alevel subjects and keep my choices open.. So far i have
Physchology, gov&politics, history, sociology and english lit! I know im probably only going to just 3 out of them 4, which do u think are best? Also i know i sound..idk...but o dont wnt something TOOO hard, i will wok hard to achieve my best but i wnna get the best grade outcome possible pls help

Quick Reply