The Student Room Group

Opinion on people ignoring messages instead of being honest

What do you think when people you had short friendly or whatever relations say they will keep in contact but it turns out that when you send them a message to ask how they are etc. they just constantly ignore you? It’s more common with girls but also many guys do that.
I am not talking about constantly annoying the person with daily messages… more like 1-3 messages in a month period of time. Many people say that it means that you should just take the hint and forget about the person and that you are just annoying them (sometimes even implying that being honest and showing interest for the other person is rude).

I agree that you should forget this person but for a totally different reason… I believe that not having the decency to tell the other person that you don’t want to talk to them and also giving them false hopes of friendship or whatever is very rude. It shows that that you are very insecure and cowardly or just highly egoistic, insensitive and self-centered. Is it really so hard to say sorry I don’t want to be your friend instead of making false promises and then failing to keep them? It’s called manners, something long forgotten I guess. I know it’s their right not to speak but speaking the truth is always the way to go, It shows that you care for other people.
Reply 1
Decency to tell the other person that you don’t want to talk to them or at least give a hint should be done really, as ignoring is really rude.
I have a friend who i used to be close with but ended up going to a different uni to me, they would just ignore me for weeks/months one
minute, then talk to me the next or if i pump into them in person, they treat me as if nothing has happened or that its all ok.
I personally do think it is very rude. And i know some people have reason's to ignore someone, and others are just cowards to say anything, so all they do is ignore someone thinking its the best thing to do, but in some eyes it hurts to be ignored.

I hate being ignored and if i was to not want to speak to someone i would be honest in the nicest way i could.
I always got brought up to, 'treat someone how you would like to be treated' - which includes being honest, its just a shame not a lot of people do it.
It would be nice to hear an opinion from someone who has done the ignoring, and maybe offer an explanation as to why people do this. I would like to believe that a person has a good reason for being rude to someone they were once close to by ignoring them completely and not explaining why - but I like to believe the best in people. But I really cannot understand how a person can be so rude, particularly to some they were once friends with and so care about. It is much less rude to tell someone how you are feeling, even you think that will upset the other person - and it is definitely than messing people around so they are not sure what to even think about your relationship with them!
I ignore people sometimes. People I am actually friends with I usually reply to, unless they're expecting me to reply to "lol". Sometimes people just click on the chat and then off again and forget to reply; I've done that a couple of times. I ignore people mostly when I've tried to be nice and responsive previously and they get the wrong idea and think I want to talk 24/7, and then get butthurt when I don't reply within a 1 minute time frame. It's so annoying.

Recently I ignore guys who are inappropriate, for example not stopping making unnecessary comments when I tell them I have a boyfriend. They call me a bitch eventually but hey ho, I'd rather be mean and ignore than be sexually harassed.
Reply 4
Original post by LostOnAnIsland
It would be nice to hear an opinion from someone who has done the ignoring, and maybe offer an explanation as to why people do this. I would like to believe that a person has a good reason for being rude to someone they were once close to by ignoring them completely and not explaining why - but I like to believe the best in people. But I really cannot understand how a person can be so rude, particularly to some they were once friends with and so care about. It is much less rude to tell someone how you are feeling, even you think that will upset the other person - and it is definitely than messing people around so they are not sure what to even think about your relationship with them!

This, i also want to know. I would also love to hear an opinion from someone doing the ignoring, and i dont mean to things like lol or stuff like that. More like for saying hi how are you and never getting an answer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending