The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Physics 2013 - 2014: Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by nECS
0.012mgmA^-1 = 1.2*10^-4KgA^-1 :biggrin:

Yeah, that works perfectly thanks, however being a bit of a noob, could you explain how you got that? haha
Reply 41
Original post by Pliskin
Yeah, that works perfectly thanks, however being a bit of a noob, could you explain how you got that? haha

I had my ninja edit, but I'll do it a bit nicer here:

ok, so you have 0.012mg per mA. This means that you have 0.12*10^-6kg per mA. Therefore, you'll have 0.12*10^-6 x 1000 Kg per amp, so 1.2*10^-4kg/A :smile: I've forgotten how to 'TeX' so hopefully ole dirty standard font is satisfactory? :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by nECS
0.012mgmA^-1 = 1.2*10^-4KgA^-1 :biggrin:

edit: some working :smile:

0.121061103=1.2104 \dfrac{0.12*10^{-6}}{1*10^{-3}} = 1.2*10^{-4}

Yeah that's exactly where I went wrong! Why do you divide by "1*10^-3" ?
AW NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Milligrams!!! **** SAKE.... Hahahahaha
I completely understand... aw god. LOL
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by Pliskin
Yeah that's exactly where I went wrong! Why do you divide by "1*10^-3" ?

To change from mA to A

I set the units as a fraction, so mg/mA. Therefore, if you multiply by 0.12, you get

0.12mgmA=0.12×106kg1×103A \dfrac{0.12mg}{mA} = \dfrac{0.12\times 10^{-6}kg}{1 \times 10^{-3} A}

sorry, i kind of suck at explaining
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by nECS
To change from mA to A

Yes, I was being an extremely big idiot, as you said earlier I was working in grams not miligrams... aw god haha

Well this is embarrassing haha, literally so used to mA, that I just did not notice mg as milligrams.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by Pliskin
Yes, I was being an extremely big idiot, as you said earlier I was working in grams not miligrams... aw god haha

Well this is embarrassing haha, literally so used to mA, that I just did not notice mg as milligrams.

haha no bother, I could've probably explained that in one post rather than about 4 if I actually posted everything at once rather than a series of edits :P, that question was quite sneaky, it took me a while earlier today when I did it, although that may have been down to losing the will to live half way through the parallelogram of uncertainty... :tongue:
Reply 46
Original post by nECS
To change from mA to A

I set the units as a fraction, so mg/mA. Therefore, if you multiply by 0.12, you get

0.12mgmA=0.12×106kg1×103A \dfrac{0.12mg}{mA} = \dfrac{0.12\times 10^{-6}kg}{1 \times 10^{-3} A}

sorry, i kind of suck at explaining

Nah nah, you must have been thinking what the fuc.k is this guy thinking? Literally did not realize milligrams haha

Hahaha Yeah, like I know how to do it, but I was getting it wrong as I was working in "grams" not milligrams and because I am so used to "mA" etc it just did not click it was not the mA^-1 or anything haha
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by nECS
haha no bother, I could've probably explained that in one post rather than about 4 if I actually posted everything at once rather than a series of edits :P, that question was quite sneaky, it took me a while earlier today when I did it, although that may have been down to losing the will to live half way through the parallelogram of uncertainty... :tongue:

Yes I know, I will literally faceplant the paper if we have to do an uncertainty in the gradient, I thought the paper was really easy except that there and question 3. c) because I thought if the cord was thicker the mass would more concentrated at the rim, therefore inertia would increase, however it was due to the radius increasing so that completely stumped me lol
Reply 48
Original post by Pliskin
Yes I know, I will literally faceplant the paper if we have to do an uncertainty in the gradient

You, me, the rest of scotland sitting AH physics, I think the amount of face-desking would probably show up on the richter scale if that came up. Yeah, i did 2001 & 2002 this morning before realising that at that rate I'd end up doing like four past papers today and have ran out by the weekend, so I've been ploughing my way through these bad boys http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/Images/8097phys2_tcm4-123822.pdf .

I'd definitely echo your sentiments about 2001 though, pretty easy paper - but that might just be because doing physics papers isn't as much of a chore compared to other subjects.. :P
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by nECS
You, me, the rest of scotland sitting AH physics, I think the amount of face-desking would probably show up on the richter scale if that came up. Yeah, i did 2001 & 2002 this morning before realising that at that rate I'd end up doing like four past papers today and have ran out by the weekend, so I've been ploughing my way through these bad boys http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/Images/8097phys2_tcm4-123822.pdf .

I'd definitely echo your sentiments about 2001 though, pretty easy paper - but that might just be because doing physics papers isn't as much of a chore compared to other subjects.. :P

Yeah, cheers for the link it looks like another good bank of questions, I did 2002 yesterday, it was an insanely easy paper, 2001 was harder. They questions in the link look like old 1980 CYS questions, are they more challenging than the 2001-13 questions ?
Reply 50
Original post by nECS

Also I have a prelim tomorrow for physics, ugh, I have to go into school for it, it's a P and N 2014 (bought in paper) have u sat it before, if so, how difficult, and any hints lol?
Reply 51
Original post by Pliskin
Yeah, cheers for the link it looks like another good bank of questions, I did 2002 yesterday, it was an insanely easy paper, 2001 was harder. They questions in the link look like old 1980 CYS questions, are they more challenging than the 2001-13 questions ?

I wouldn't say harder in terms of the actual physics, but they tend to be wordier and a bit more complex to understand, also the marking scheme has basically no detail so if you get something wrong it can be a tad infuriating. :angry:

Original post by Pliskin
Also I have a prelim tomorrow for physics, ugh, I have to go into school for it, it's a P and N 2014 (bought in paper) have u sat it before, if so, how difficult, and any hints lol?

Nope not sat it, our late evidence/second prelim was made up by the teacher from old-school questions. haha any chance of getting to keep the paper? I'm always on the lookout for more papers :colondollar:
Reply 52
Original post by nECS
I wouldn't say harder in terms of the actual physics, but they tend to be wordier and a bit more complex to understand, also the marking scheme has basically no detail so if you get something wrong it can be a tad infuriating. :angry:

Nope not sat it, our late evidence/second prelim was made up by the teacher from old-school questions. haha any chance of getting to keep the paper? I'm always on the lookout for more papers :colondollar:

Sure, If i can keep it (but I am sitting it early, others are sitting it next week) so i might not even get answers to it! but I'll see, If i can I'll scan it in for you with answers.
Reply 53
Original post by Pliskin
Sure, If i can keep it (but I am sitting it early, others are sitting it next week) so i might not even get answers to it! but I'll see, If i can I'll scan it in for you with answers.

sweet, cheers :smile:
Original post by nECS

Lots of homework Q's with solutions unit by unit at NBerwickHS:
http://www.edubuzz.org/nbscience/physics/advanced-higher-physics/
(just in case you get bored wae nothing todo):pcguru:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by tomctutor
Lots of homework Q's with solutions unit by unit at NBerwickHS:
http://www.edubuzz.org/nbscience/physics/advanced-higher-physics/
(just in case you get bored wae nothing todo):pcguru:

Cheers :biggrin:
Reply 56
I did the 2012 paper there and got 76%, which i was fairly pleased with at first considering my revision so far has consisted of me trying to read bright red notes but procrastination the majority of the time. Turns out it was 81% for an A that year! :eek: That seems pretty high for the SQA. I've never seen an A boundary go higher than the 70s before. Heck i've seen it in the 50s for some subjects.
Reply 57
Original post by Blabyda
I did the 2012 paper there and got 76%, which i was fairly pleased with at first considering my revision so far has consisted of me trying to read bright red notes but procrastination the majority of the time. Turns out it was 81% for an A that year! :eek: That seems pretty high for the SQA. I've never seen an A boundary go higher than the 70s before. Heck i've seen it in the 50s for some subjects.

The grade boundaries in the spreadsheet include the investigation and are out of 125 :smile:. 81/125 = 65%, you can rest easy now :biggrin:
Reply 58
Original post by nECS
The grade boundaries in the spreadsheet include the investigation and are out of 125 :smile:. 81/125 = 65%, you can rest easy now :biggrin:

ah now I feel a bit stupid. I probably should have looked at the total marks too...

mind you that doesn't really help me. My project was just awful :rolleyes:
Reply 59
Original post by Blabyda
ah now I feel a bit stupid. I probably should have looked at the total marks too...

mind you that doesn't really help me. My project was just awful :rolleyes:

Yeah, with 76/100 I don't think you'd need a very high mark in the project to get an A, although I don't know what weighting the sqa give to each area/how they work out your total mark

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending