The Student Room Group

The German Football Thread

Scroll to see replies

How does everybody watch it?

I don't think I have the channel which provides the Bundesliga match coverage. Are there any good streams available? Like actual good ones which don't buffer in between.
Reply 61
Original post by J.Nalbandian14
How does everybody watch it?

I don't think I have the channel which provides the Bundesliga match coverage. Are there any good streams available? Like actual good ones which don't buffer in between.

Most probably use stream. ITV4 show highlights 10pm every Monday.

Hannover Mainz turning out to be a decent game Diouf and Muller have scored for their respective teams.

Buzzing for Schalke Bayer later on.
Original post by 419
Most probably use stream. ITV4 show highlights 10pm every Monday.

Hannover Mainz turning out to be a decent game Diouf and Muller have scored for their respective teams.

Buzzing for Schalke Bayer later on.

Bayer should absolutely murder S04. Cricket score
Original post by Zürich

Bayer have been pretty poor. Would have expected their front three to destroy Schalke's make shift defence. Fair play though, let's hope this is the start of a recovery for Schalke. Hearing some rumours they have made a bid for Ronaldinho :moon:
Reply 64
Original post by Zürich

This is probably going to come across as highsight 20:20 but why did you think so? I expected Schalke to win.
Reply 65
Original post by TheInvincibles14
Bayer have been pretty poor. Would have expected their front three to destroy Schalke's make shift defence. Fair play though, let's hope this is the start of a recovery for Schalke. Hearing some rumours they have made a bid for Ronaldinho :moon:

Recovery from what?
Original post by 419
This is probably going to come across as highsight 20:20 but why did you think so? I expected Schalke to win.

Watched Schalke this season and theyve been just awful whereas Bayer have been very good so as simple as that really. Guess they must have improved after their CL games, and also KPB made a difference today, linked up well considering he's just arrived. Aogo shaped up the defense nicely too, needed him.

Lars Bender didnt get hold of the game at all either so they struggled to get the front 3 into the game, if they had then the game couldve been different.

Original post by 419
Recovery from what?

Horrific start to the season?
Original post by TheInvincibles14

Surprised, form book turned on its head tbh. But Schalke really needed this one tbh and they deserved it obviously.

Ronaldinho would be fun, Schalke still need a better CM option though rather than more attackers.
Reply 68
Original post by Zürich
Watched Schalke this season and theyve been just awful whereas Bayer have been very good so as simple as that really. Guess they must have improved after their CL games, and also KPB made a difference today, linked up well considering he's just arrived. Aogo shaped up the defense nicely too, needed him.

Lars Bender didnt get hold of the game at all either so they struggled to get the front 3 into the game, if they had then the game couldve been different.

Fair enough. I've just not been that wholly convinced by Bayer to expect them to waltz this match.

Horrific start to the season?

Results says so I guess but they've been okay with alot of it has been bad luck (bar the second half collapse at Wolfsburg).
Haven't watched any matches thus far although I should get round to doing so.

Anyone watching Dortmund, how has Mkhitaryan been doing? Early days yes but he was a beast for Shakhtar league wise and in the CL so I'd be interested to know if he carries this on in Germany...
Reply 70
Original post by The Assassin
Haven't watched any matches thus far although I should get round to doing so.

Anyone watching Dortmund, how has Mkhitaryan been doing? Early days yes but he was a beast for Shakhtar league wise and in the CL so I'd be interested to know if he carries this on in Germany...

He was very good in the pre-season games and scored in almost every game I believe before he got injured. In his two first starts in the Bundesliga, he was quite invisible on the pitch and didn't produce much at all, but scored two goals against Frankfurt in his third start yesterday. He is certainly improving game by game.
Loving Borussia Monchengladbach at the moment, managed to catch all their full games this season. Max Kruse (early candidate for European signing of the season? Amazing value!), Patrick Herrmann, Raffael and the one and only Juan Arango (that left foot :drool:) are linking up brilliantly when they go forward. Could tighten up defensively but two difficult away fixtures to Leverkusen and Bayern done and dusted, and no European football to distract them.They could make a charge this year.
Original post by Mastermind`
Loving Borussia Monchengladbach at the moment, managed to catch all their full games this season. Max Kruse (early candidate for European signing of the season? Amazing value!), Patrick Herrmann, Raffael and the one and only Juan Arango (that left foot :drool:) are linking up brilliantly when they go forward. Could tighten up defensively but two difficult away fixtures to Leverkusen and Bayern done and dusted, and no European football to distract them.They could make a charge this year.

Havent seen them yet but seen the highlights, Max kruse is definitely a candidate for the national team starter at the WC though. Good to see Nordtveit doing well too, great DM he is.
@419

Yeah thanks for notifying me about the Bundesliga coverage on ITV, I'll stick to that now but somebody PM'd me a decent stream site too so I probably use that for the big clashes. Surprised how Shalke won, they've been absolutely terrible but Draxler is definitely a hotshot. Anyway, love watching Dortmund, they play such exciting attacking football and both them and Leverkusen should give Bayern a real fight for the league.
Reply 74
Original post by Malevolent
Can someone explain why Low seems to hate KeiBling?

The reason Löw mentioned was that first, he didn't believe Kießling would perform or could take the pressure in international tournaments and that second, he didn't really fit into his system. As for the world cup, Klose and Gomez are his first choices representing, in his eyes, two types of fowards he wants covered. As such, Kießling is a similar player as, but in Löw's eyes inferior to, Klose, and thus superfluous/not needed. If those two aren't available, he'll play Kruse or Götze as false nine.

The reason he doesn't call him up for particular games is, as he stated, that as long as he couldn't guarantee him a place in the squad, he didn't want to raise his hopes by playing him in smaller games.

Plus, but that's my personal take, bar Klose, Löw loves introducing only young players. Kießling is too old to be educated "the Löw way".

Original post by Malevolent
I think KeiBling has said though he will never play for Germany under Low though again.

He did say one day later that should they need him in the world cup, he'd be the last to leave the team in the lurch.

By the way, it's I before E. Kießling, not Keißling. :smile:

Original post by 419
He can't ignore him for his next squad. No way.

That's what is going to happen. Löw is incredibly stubborn when it comes to these issues - just look at Weidenfeller.

Personally, I've lost my trust in Löw with those player decisions. Germany has a ridiculous amount of talent right now, so it would be a shame if they failed next year, but with Löw as a coach, I don't see it happening.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 75
I've got a strange feeling about Mainz, think they'll have a decent season despite their crumble away at Hannover. See them pushing for a European spot.

Original post by qua
That's what is going to happen. Löw is incredibly stubborn when it comes to these issues - just look at Weidenfeller.

Personally, I've lost my trust in Löw with those player decisions. Germany has a ridiculous amount of talent right now, so it would be a shame if they failed next year, but with Löw as a coach, I don't see it happening.

As much as i can understand/accept leaving out KieBling (made sure i got the i before the e unlike malevolent :tongue:) leaving out Weindefeller is absolutely criminal. He is simply superior to Adler, I don't know much about Zieler but I'd be confident that he is also subordinate to Weinderfeller.
(edited 10 years ago)
I agree that it's criminal Weidenfeller's never had a call up. Neuer, Weidenfeller and Ter Stegen would be my personal choices.

As for Kießling, I get the previous poster's comments about Löw being stubborn in his choices. To leave the top goal scorer in Germany out of the team doesn't send out a very good message. Look at the competition he beat off: Lewandowski during his best year, the superstars of Bayern, Huntelaar) all quality players. I think Löw should base his decisions on form rather than names, wont happen, but it would be good to see.

Lastly, I'm still amazed that Jerôme Boateng actually starts for Germany.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 77
Original post by munchen102
I agree that it's criminal Weidenfeller's never had a call up. Neuer, Weidenfeller and Ter Stegen would be my personal choices.

As for Kießling, I get the previous poster's comments about Löw being stubborn in his choices. To leave the top goal scorer in Germany out of the team doesn't send out a very good message. Look at the competition he beat off: Lewandowski during his best year, the superstars of Bayern, Huntelaar) all quality players. I think Löw should base his decisions on form rather than names, wont happen, but it would be good to see.

Lastly, I'm still amazed that Jerôme Boateng actually starts for Germany.

He won't call him up for the world cup, even if only for the single reason that he hasn't been fitted into the system. Löw is someone who pedantically follows his plan, everything is prearranged. He's easing Kruse in as his new future striker, and by next June he will probably be rotating the three of them. In order for Kießling to be part of his plans, he would have to start playing him now. Löw is not someone who's spontaneous or takes risk (except for his change in strategy in the Italy game in the Euros).

His focusing on names rather than form is a problem though. It annoyed me how in the Euros, he constantly preferred Müller over Götze, Reus and Schürrle, although it was clear Müller wasn't playing his best tournament and Götze was as promising as swallows for summer. I'm happy that with talents like Gündogan, Reus, Götze, Hummels etc. obviously establishing themselves as recognised talents the "Bayernpreferencia" has ended (if we consider Götze as dortmundgrown), but quite often, there's still no justice done, especially for players of smaller clubs.

It will be interesting to see also how he will rotate between Schweinsteiger, Khedira and Gündogan. Khedira has made quite a few defensive mistakes in the last games. No way anyone would leave Schweinsteiger out given his current beast form, but he's constantly missing out on friendlies (12 in a row now) in which Gündogan performs well and if he has one of his depressive phases again like last year, would Löw take him out? In the Euros, Schweini was almost asking to not be played ("I wouldn't be surprised to not be a starter next match"). Anyways, the midfield is not something to worry about, as there is plenty of depth and talent.

As for Boateng, I agree. You can only lol at him sometimes. The defense in general is tricky, it will be interesting to see how he will sort it out.

But anyway, I don't see Germany winning it next year anyhoo. First, because of Löw, second, because it's in Brazil. It is a shame seeing the golden generation and number of talented and technically gifted playre Germany has (imo better than all German teams in a long, long time) going to waste, but maybe with a new coach (Jupp? Klopp?) they can finally go for it in 2018. But then again, who knows what will happen next year. I see Argentina or maybe Brazil (with home field advantage) winning, but who knows...

(And I'm not even supporting Germany.)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by qua
He won't call him up for the world cup, even if only for the single reason that he hasn't been fitted into the system. Löw is someone who pedantically follows his plan, everything is prearranged. He's easing Kruse in as his new future striker, and by next June he will probably be rotating the three of them. In order for Kießling to be part of his plans, he would have to start playing him now. Löw is not someone who's spontaneous or takes risk (except for his change in strategy in the Italy game in the Euros).

His focusing on names rather than form is a problem though. It annoyed me how in the Euros, he constantly preferred Müller over Götze, Reus and Schürrle, although it was clear Müller wasn't playing his best tournament and Götze was as promising as swallows for summer. I'm happy that with talents like Gündogan, Reus, Götze, Hummels etc. obviously establishing themselves as recognised talents the "Bayernpreferencia" has ended (if we consider Götze as dortmundgrown), but quite often, there's still no justice done, especially for players of smaller clubs.

It will be interesting to see also how he will rotate between Schweinsteiger, Khedira and Gündogan. Khedira has made quite a few defensive mistakes in the last games. No way anyone would leave Schweinsteiger out given his current beast form, but he's constantly missing out on friendlies (12 in a row now) in which Gündogan performs well and if he has one of his depressive phases again like last year, would Löw take him out? In the Euros, Schweini was almost asking to not be played ("I wouldn't be surprised to not be a starter next match"). Anyways, the midfield is not something to worry about, as there is plenty of depth and talent.

As for Boateng, I agree. You can only lol at him sometimes. The defense in general is tricky, it will be interesting to see how he will sort it out.

But anyway, I don't see Germany winning it next year anyhoo. First, because of Löw, second, because it's in Brazil. It is a shame seeing the golden generation and number of talented and technically gifted playre Germany has (imo better than all German teams in a long, long time) going to waste, but maybe with a new coach (Jupp? Klopp?) they can finally go for it in 2018. But then again, who knows what will happen next year. I see Argentina or maybe Brazil (with home field advantage) winning, but who knows...

(And I'm not even supporting Germany.)

Yes i agree with your Low part there. I was very disappointed last year in the Euros when he didnt take advantage of the depth of the squad. (Gotze, Reus, Schurrle etc) and keep basically the same team (bar Podolski) through out. Schweinsteiger and Muller had poor tournaments and still he didnt change. The bench is there to be used and all three of those players mentioned can change a game.

My pick for the defence would be Lahm - Hummels - Badstuber/Howedes - Schmelzer. No Mertesacker or Boeteng. In midfield i'd like to see a Gundogan - Schweinsteiger partnership. Khedira is good but doesnt offer enough at the attacking end IMO.

I can see Germany winning it but the can't afford to have anymore heartless performances like against Italy last year. An interesting fact though, a European team has never won the WC in South America...
Original post by munchen102
Yes i agree with your Low part there. I was very disappointed last year in the Euros when he didnt take advantage of the depth of the squad. (Gotze, Reus, Schurrle etc) and keep basically the same team (bar Podolski) through out. Schweinsteiger and Muller had poor tournaments and still he didnt change. The bench is there to be used and all three of those players mentioned can change a game.

My pick for the defence would be Lahm - Hummels - Badstuber/Howedes - Schmelzer. No Mertesacker or Boeteng. In midfield i'd like to see a Gundogan - Schweinsteiger partnership. Khedira is good but doesnt offer enough at the attacking end IMO.

I can see Germany winning it but the can't afford to have anymore heartless performances like against Italy last year. An interesting fact though, a European team has never won the WC in South America...

Cant understand your logic here. Schweinsteiger plays with Martinez, an out and out DM, who compliments his gae perfectly and similarly Gundogan with S.Bender who is also an out and out DM. Gundogan/Schweini are much too similar to play together, and no way is Gundogan going to be picked ahead of Schweini....

Lars Bender + Schweinsteiger is the dream combo imo, or Khedira and Schweini.

Also Podolski is acknowledged to be extremely positive for the moral of the team as one of the most popular players so I think he'll be in the squad. He's normally done the business for Germany anyway so I'm sure he'll be in the squad. Great goal scoring record in a team very short on strikers of course too.

Neuer
Lahm Howedes Hummels Schmelzer
Bender Schweinsteiger
Muller Ozil Reus
Klose
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest