The Student Room Group

The German Football Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SarcasticMel
Dude can you stop dissing where I am from! It's not even true, Hamburg is an amazing city!

hey dont get me wrong, many a sailor had a good night in Hamburg!

Not even dissing North Germany, culturally a state including Holland and Germany North of Bremen would make alot more sense than one with Bavaria! :wink:

Anyway, if there is one group both Germans and Dutch people can enjoy denouncing it must be Friesians ! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
hey dont get me wrong, many a sailor had a good night in Hamburg!

Not even dissing North Germany, culturally a state including Holland and Germany North of Bremen would make alot more sense than one with Bavaria! :wink:

Anyway, if there is one group both Germans and Dutch people can enjoy denouncing it must be Friesians ! :smile:

I think it's the east Frisians haha :smile:
Original post by SarcasticMel
I think it's the east Frisians haha :smile:

For once, I made a lazy translation from Dutch to English rather than the other way!

Never had a reason to write about 'Friisians' . Never been North either, I just rely on my Opa's general rants. :colondollar:

Then again Opa suspects absolutely everyone. Most of all 'Prussians' . Typical old Dutch man
(edited 9 years ago)
Well thats funny it's not my Opa but my dad telling me how his Opa was telling him stuff. And he is the exact opposite, he was a fan of the Kaiser who was Prussian and things were so much better when we still had the Kaiser.
And Alonso, of course he's a short-term solution to cover up for the injuries, hence the 2-year deal and hence why I said signing Khedira would only make sense this & not next season. It does seem strange though that Bayern are throwing their sacred wage pyramid over board just to have a bit of cover for the time Schweini and Thiago aren't 100%, something which they were not willing to do for any player bar Götze before and contradicts everything "Hoeneß". Not to mention that Xabi is too static for Bayern's style of play, even as a CB, and doesn't fit their transitioning play at all (& the fact that Pep never got along with him). Iturraspe would have been expensive fee-wise, but the overall money invested wouldn't probably be a lot higher considering how much they'd save in wages. They'd probably need to invest good money relatively soon anyway to deal with Lahm and Schweini ageing. Playing time wouldn't be much of an issue either, Iturraspe said several times he'd want to leave and didn't seem put off by the Bayern interest either. The Xabi deal seems a little senseless & un-Bayern regardless of him though.

Alonso got 4.5M euros in 2012 and is supposedly on 6M euros at Bayern. Tbh for the player profile and since Lahm and Schweiny are getting 10M it's not an overly big salary. Although just keeping Kroos makes more sense. It's going to be a tough integration period for Hojberg et al so will require a midfielder being bought to bridge that gap. You'd think that Kroos being in the 23-27 age range would mean that there is a seamless transition, and Kroos will have his best years when the likes of Schweinsteigger are past it.

Yeah I don't see Alonso working out for some reason, if they go 4-1-4-1 then possibly, he can just fill in Busquetts role at Barca. If he plays at CB then he'd need protection.
Original post by jam278
Alonso got 4.5M euros in 2012 and is supposedly on 6M euros at Bayern. Tbh for the player profile and since Lahm and Schweiny are getting 10M it's not an overly big salary. Although just keeping Kroos makes more sense. It's going to be a tough integration period for Hojberg et al so will require a midfielder being bought to bridge that gap. You'd think that Kroos being in the 23-27 age range would mean that there is a seamless transition, and Kroos will have his best years when the likes of Schweinsteigger are past it.

Yeah I don't see Alonso working out for some reason, if they go 4-1-4-1 then possibly, he can just fill in Busquetts role at Barca. If he plays at CB then he'd need protection.

It's a good signing imo. Considering it is a small transfer fee his wages can be increased. Obviously with Schweini out and injury prone, Martinez out for nearly a season and Thiago out til November it makes good sense. It could also be a ploy to move Lahm back into RB.

I hope this doesn't freeze Rode out the team. I really like him. Just so energetic I'd like to see him get a good run in the team while the main men are out.

Bayern's CL group is no easy task either. Man City...well are Man City. Roma have spent big this year so could pose a if threat. Bayern does have the best fixtures in terms of dates with Russia in the fall and CSKA as their last game.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Alonso did well today imo.
Reply 947
Original post by jam278

Bayern's wages are always guesswork/Bild speculation but Alonso's is reported as between 7.5M (Bild, Focus) and 10M (other German papers, Marca). May not be outrageously much for a player of his name and CV, but it is for a substitute who won't get a lot of game time once everyone's fit, especially compared with Bayern's overall wage structure & the wages of some of the other key players. To go OTT like that is untypical of Bayern and rather two-faced considering what happened to Kroos.

Wage is only a minor argument though. The point is that the move harms Real more than it strengthens Bayern, so Bayern being Bayern you can wonder about the motivation behind it. I'm not denying that it makes sense for them to get a player in in light of their injuries (...in fact I had originally made that point, when arguing that Khedira to Bayern only made sense this year, not next year), but the 'efforts' (i.e. tinker with their sacred philosophy) to sign a player who's past it, doesn't fit the style ideally and isn't even best-suited to the required role, make you think there could actually be more to the transfer than just wanting to get cover for Javi.

With a midfield line of 4 of Alaba, Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Rode, Thiago and Højbjerg in front of him and Badstuber & Boateng flanking him, he probably has decent enough cover to play as CB. Playing as the mid CB in a 3-man backline isn't even too different, responsibilities-wise, from the static DM role he had at Madrid recently, so he should be ok as that.

That's where Pep played him today btw, and it worked out ok, he was one of Bayern's better players. Not a lot of other positives to take from the Bayern performance today though.

Anyway, good start to the season so far. HSV losing to Paderborn and Vfb to Köln :lol:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by qua
Bayern's wages are always guesswork/Bild speculation but Alonso's is reported as between 7.5M (Bild, Focus) and 10M (other German papers, Marca). May not be outrageously much for a player of his name and CV, but it is for a substitute who won't get a lot of game time once everyone's fit, especially compared with Bayern's overall wage structure & the wages of some of the other key players. To go OTT like that is untypical of Bayern and rather two-faced considering what happened to Kroos.

Wage is only a minor argument though. The point is that the move harms Real more than it strengthens Bayern, so Bayern being Bayern you can wonder about the motivation behind it. I'm not denying that it makes sense for them to get a player in in light of their injuries (...in fact I had originally made that point, when arguing that Khedira to Bayern only made sense this year, not next year), but the 'efforts' (i.e. tinker with their sacred philosophy) to sign a player who's past it, doesn't fit the style ideally and isn't even best-suited to the required role, make you think there could actually be more to the transfer than just wanting to get cover for Javi.

True. Yeah on Marca they say that Alonso will get €10M.

Move theoretically would strengthen Real, although if we were to go by last season Alonso was a fulcrum of the side, so yeah I see it being a way of getting back at Real. Which is why I don't get why they didn't try harder to get Kroos long term, anyway their loss.

I haven't watched Bayern this season. How exactly have they been playing?

With a midfield line of 4 of Alaba, Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Rode, Thiago and Højbjerg in front of him and Badstuber & Boateng flanking him, he probably has decent enough cover to play as CB. Playing as the mid CB in a 3-man backline isn't even too different, responsibilities-wise, from the static DM role he had at Madrid recently, so he should be ok as that.

That's where Pep played him today btw, and it worked out ok, he was one of Bayern's better players. Not a lot of other positives to take from the Bayern performance today though.

Anyway, good start to the season so far. HSV losing to Paderborn and Vfb to Köln :lol:

Yeah true, I was thinking that he may have a bit more defensive responsibility and if there's not enough protection(as the fullbacks push too high up then it could be possible to get a run at him, two wingers decide to pull wide on a counter if the, that forces the wide CBs to try and track their runs, allows a one on one vs Alonso. Probably more likely to happen at 3atb than in a 4-1-4-1. Although they are similar formations. Probably was in Peps thinking his previous season. Weird thing is that the first choice fullbacks can both play at CM too.

Leverkusen always have good starts as well for some reason. Remember them getting 7 or 8 wins in a row in 2012-13, they always seem like they're going to have a challenge then falter in the second half of the season. They were winter champion in 2010 e.g. but Schalke seem to do the exact opposite. No idea how they get into the CL every season with the terrible start they have almost every season.

Any outside top 4 threats? Gladbach/Augsburg/Freiberg or do you think that it be the typical 4 again, with Lever and Schalke fighting for 3rd and 4th spot?
See Alonso mentioned elsewhere, come to German thread to ask some questions, see that qua has already answered them, leave German thread lol
No goals in the matches on Sunday. Never seen this before! By the look of it the teams in Bundesliga need more time to get into gear. Next week the Bundesliga gets a pause due to the matches of the German national team against Argentina and Scotland. Can't wait to watch the matches in TV after a successful world championship! :smile:
Yeah, So I was in the stadium for Schalke/Bayern

Chorero was really really nice and the fans were really proud. Neuer got some nice songs! and apparently a new tunnel with coal on the sides, or at least black or something!. Schalke are a club continuously digging up coal, and never getting the fire together.

Rode much more box to box than I expected, Bayern still strugglin for Pep 2.0. Too drunk really to analyse the rest, 1-1

This time me and my brother drank in Gelsenkirchen, proper fans. schalke 04 and booze! Not such a bad life !

I have some photos, will post later!!!
(edited 9 years ago)
was really nice from Schalke

''fußball ist unser leben''

und ihr so...?
(edited 9 years ago)
dumm !!!!

für kein Geld in der Augustiner-Halle. Top Bier und top '60er

1860 München am in Berlin
(edited 9 years ago)
1860 just needs to move back to the Grunwalder to become my club !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think Zürich had a few too many last night.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
I think Zürich had a few too many last night.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Naturally

But 1860 at the Grunwalder is the dream, proper working class Munich. **** the Bayern day trippers from Bamberg, Tegernsee and Austria, afterwards drinking in hofbrauhaus. 1860 at the Allianz needs to end,

''Nur nach Hause wollen wir!''

again in the Grunwalder

1860 at the Grunwalder are the anti-Bayern, at the Allianz a tenant.

But this was a decent Allianz moment

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Naturally

But 1860 at the Grunwalder is the dream, proper working class Munich. **** the Bayern day trippers from Bamberg, Tegernsee and Austria, afterwards drinking in hofbrauhaus. 1860 at the Allianz needs to end,

''Nur nach Hause wollen wir!''

again in the Grunwalder

1860 at the Grunwalder are the anti-Bayern, at the Allianz a tenant.

But this was a decent Allianz moment

You will have a better idea than I do but when I went to see 1860 last month they seemed to really have made it their own on matchday. Decked in blue, the pre-match flag ceremony, 'Einmal Löwe Immer Löwe' across the top tiers. It was a really good experience although that may be because I've only been to games in England and Scotland :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone want to explain to me why ANYONE would want to sign for Hamburg these days. They were a shambles last year and don't exactly look to have improved so far this season.

Quick Reply

Latest