The Student Room Group

The German Football Thread

Scroll to see replies

I may be one-sided here but that goal by Ronny in the first half was superb. I see that Kalou is going on for Schieber. Interesting that they're not both going to be playing in the second half alongside each other...

Anyway, hoping for a win for my beloved Hertha tonight. We need it! Let's see what the second half brings...

Is anyone else here watching tonight's game? :smile:
Amazing game! Feels like a win to me! Ronny was amazing tonight. I thought Schulz's foul was awful but if it wasn't for the fact he was sent off we wouldn't have been able to draw tonight. Freiburg and Hertha still without any wins now. The atmosphere in the stadium was electric, Freiburg have really vocal fans I felt sorry for them because they played so well against us tonight.

Say what ever you like about Hertha but they're not a boring team to follow anyway, always keep me hanging on. :smile:
Anyone who has watched Stoppelkamp's goal against Hannover 96? it was a nice record in Bundesliga. If the goal scorer intented that, so it was amazing!
Seemed to me it's exactly what he intended :smile:
Reply 1044
Vintage Dortmund to **** up when they have the chance to go top. The table is hilarious right now though.

Original post by Elphaba Thropp
You raise some really good points here. Okay I was definitely exaggerating a bit with the relegation favourite comment about Mainz. I thought before yesterday that they might be in for a tough season. Personally I thought Choupo-Moting and Mueller leaving over the Summer was bad for them. Tuchel not so much because as you've said Hjulmand is a good manager. But I thought that with being knocked out of Europe that that might affect them psychologically in some way? :confused: I'm clutching at straws really. I think I was overly harsh on Mainz. I was surprised that they didn't beat Paderborn a few weeks back actually. My favourite lecturer for German is from Mainz so I should like them by default really. :smile:

You're definitely right about our squad. At the moment we have good players "on paper" but there seems to be a lack of cohesion in the squad. Schieber has been doing well, yesterday just was a blip. Ramos was going to leave, I know that. I just wish that it was possible to keep him a while longer. Our second half of the season was bad without him. For a while I thought we were in with a chance at European football. Still we have remained in the top flight despite all that. We weren't relegated and that's our most important goal. We finished eleventh last year and I was really happy with that. I need to let the Ramos thing go. We were payed well for him and he went to Dortmund. I have a soft spot for Dortmund. It's a beautiful club.

Yeah, you're right about Allagui. Signing Beerens and Haraguchi probably signaled to him that his time was at an end. No player wants to be a sub at the end of the day. We have made a lot of signings over the Summer that sound promising. We'll bounce back eventually! Freiburg on Friday will prove it, I hope! :smile:

It's so nice to have someone see my Hertha rants and dissect them. Most people I talk to don't know they exist! So thanks for reading my post and analysing Hertha from a neutral's perspective. :smile:

Yeah, I definitely understand the frustration as Hertha dominated most of the game but then failed to make anything of it and didn't take their chances as well as Mainz, so there was more in that game for Hertha. Just think that the result shouldn't be overrated as Mainz are probably equally good on paper, plus now that they beat BVB the Hertha result looks even less bad :tongue: I think you can't expect too much too soon of Hertha either; to get relegated (albeit unfairly if you think how the relegation play-off against DüDo went, lol), promoted and then finish the season like they did last season in such a short span has been a good achievement, and now it's just about finding the cohesion and stability that should, with the squad you have, see you finishing above the bottom half of the table. Seems like Luhukay is still testing around and rotating to find his best 11, once he has settled for one team, the team cohesion and stability should improve, and if that happens Hertha should be as good as anyone except the top 6-7 candidates. The question is of course how long that will take and how well the other teams will do in the meantime, but the season is long and all teams have ****ed up so far, so it's probably too early to make any predictions. The Freibug result isn't ideal on paper, but considering how the game went, it was a good performance from Hertha and showed some promising signs.
Saw Paderborn top is this real life?
Original post by jam278

I think Bayern will destroy them. They really need to bounce back after the result on Saturday and (with respect to Paderborn) they're not the greatest, although performing great just now.
Could really be a hiding for Paderborn, but stranger things have happened.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by munchen102
I think Bayern will destroy them. They really need to bounce back after the result on Saturday and (with respect to Paderborn) they're not the greatest, although performing great just now.
Could really be a hiding for Paderborn, but stranger things have happened.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah the Bavarian behemoth will destroy paderborn.

Robbery being fit will be vital to you guys having consistent results. If they play a few matches in a row and get a good result pep can start rotating for important matches(e.g. CL)
Original post by jam278

Kaiserlautern like in the 90s got promoted and won the league straight away.
Original post by qua
Vintage Dortmund to **** up when they have the chance to go top. The table is hilarious right now though.

Yeah, I definitely understand the frustration as Hertha dominated most of the game but then failed to make anything of it and didn't take their chances as well as Mainz, so there was more in that game for Hertha. Just think that the result shouldn't be overrated as Mainz are probably equally good on paper, plus now that they beat BVB the Hertha result looks even less bad :tongue: I think you can't expect too much too soon of Hertha either; to get relegated (albeit unfairly if you think how the relegation play-off against DüDo went, lol), promoted and then finish the season like they did last season in such a short span has been a good achievement, and now it's just about finding the cohesion and stability that should, with the squad you have, see you finishing above the bottom half of the table. Seems like Luhukay is still testing around and rotating to find his best 11, once he has settled for one team, the team cohesion and stability should improve, and if that happens Hertha should be as good as anyone except the top 6-7 candidates. The question is of course how long that will take and how well the other teams will do in the meantime, but the season is long and all teams have ****ed up so far, so it's probably too early to make any predictions. The Freibug result isn't ideal on paper, but considering how the game went, it was a good performance from Hertha and showed some promising signs.

I was explaining Friday's game to a friend of mine and he couldn't believe it when I said Hertha equalised so late in the game. So proud of that draw! :smile: Yeah, I have faith in Luhukay, I think that as you've said that he's testing positions. Soon hopefully we'll have a better grasp of things and head for the middle of the table. After Dortmund's defeat to Mainz, I feel a hell of a lot better about our loss to them! :biggrin:

I love Bundesliga so much. Just one glance at the current table and you can see that we are in for a long season full of beautiful football and many twists and turns! :smile:

Go Paderborn!!! :biggrin: (I love seeing a newly promoted team do so well even if it is just the start of the season. :smile:)
Anyone else want to bet on Paderborn-Mainz-Hoffenheim being the top 3 at the end of the season? :wink:
I hope Paderborn beat Bayern that would be very epic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jam278
Yeah the Bavarian behemoth will destroy paderborn.

Robbery being fit will be vital to you guys having consistent results. If they play a few matches in a row and get a good result pep can start rotating for important matches(e.g. CL)

Yeah, if Paderborn managed to pull this off Pep would have to quit haha. I'd compare it to Sheffield Wednesday v Man City. I hope I'm not doing Paderborn an injustice here though, that's just how big the gap seems.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any one else think Kevin Großkruetz is just the Dortmund version of Thomas Muller? Nt in terms of quality but in terms of personality and even style if play. Both not so keen on the eye but do the job

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any one else think Kevin Großkruetz is just the Dortmund version of Thomas Muller? Nt in terms of quality but in terms of personality and even style if play. Both not so keen on the eye but do the job

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can see what you mean. They're both grafters who work hard for the team, you could probably put them anywhere on the field and they'll do a job. Muller e.g. in CM early under pep. Großkeutz playing from RB to left wing.

Also since they've both come from the youth squad as well. Although Großkeutz doesn't have that instinct that Muller has, Mullers mental positioning and off the ball ability is eons above. He's an interpreter of space literally.
Original post by jam278
Can see what you mean. They're both grafters who work hard for the team, you could probably put them anywhere on the field and they'll do a job. Muller e.g. in CM early under pep. Großkeutz playing from RB to left wing.

Also since they've both come from the youth squad as well. Although Großkeutz doesn't have that instinct that Muller has, Mullers mental positioning and off the ball ability is eons above. He's an interpreter of space literally.

The thing that swung it for me was seeing Großkruetz running with his shin guards and sick down to ankles, like Muller. Looks so stupid haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Grosskreutz is just a guy who's made a career out of working hard. Nothing wrong with that and he is a nuisance but the quality is not there really. Muller is pretty straightforward in what he does, but he is world class at it.

They're both pretty amusing personally but in different ways. Grosskreutz is your typical Dortmunder Jung standing around the Hbf singing stupid songs with his mates whereas Muller shows genuine wit dressed up and delivered in timeless Ober-bayern style. Muller no doubt appreciates the work of Gerhard Polt and enjoys the Harald Schmidt show whereas Kevin never misses an episode of Berlin Tag und Nacht over a well earned Doner. As for the other joker, Podolski, he relishes Tom and Jerry on Sunday mornings.
(edited 9 years ago)
The thing that swung it for me was seeing Großkruetz running with his shin guards and sick down to ankles, like Muller. Looks so stupid haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

always though the socks down to the ankles look was brilliant, makes him look even more old school. Even then Muller couldnt be any more Bavarian if he tried, the guy is a time-traveller from 1974 tbh.
Original post by Zürich
always though the socks down to the ankles look was brilliant, makes him look even more old school. Even then Muller couldnt be any more Bavarian if he tried, the guy is a time-traveller from 1974 tbh.

If Muller wasn't a footballer, he'd be playing the Tuba in the Hofbrauhaus head to toe in lederhosen

Posted from TSR Mobile
My word, just watched the BVB highlights and they were so poor. No fluidity in their game at all, just hoofing the ball around hoping for some kind of break. Immobile when he came on looked dangerous and Kagawa looked sharp but they are missing the likes of Reus and Gundogan badly obviously. Makes Arsenal's loss seem even worse, surely BVB will lose in London on this form?

Schalke also being Schalke makes a CL place look possible for Gladbach too, that would be lovely! :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest