The Student Room Group

The German Football Thread

Scroll to see replies

Wtf is happening with Gladbach this season?
Original post by jam277

Good question! four defeats in a row. Even Hamburg got a victory in Gladbach. Perhaps Gladbach plays a similar season like Dortmund in the last one?
Original post by jam277

They haven't had the easiest start, in fairness.

Dortmund are revitalised and reinvigorated, and duly thumped them on the opening day at their patch. They were unlucky to lose to Mainz, by all accounts, and they were down to ten men when they lost 2-1 to Werder Bremen.

As for last night, I don't have any excuses. That's a poor result, but I haven't seen the goals or the highlights.

Hamburg are a good side, but you can't even say that their squad is struggling to cope with the European demand given the fact the CL hasn't even started.
Original post by Zürich
watch a Tomas Muller interview and i feel hes mocking the viewers
-breaks the 3rd wall

He has a special humour all the while. But I like that. He is completely different to an ordinary (emotionless) pro. That is fine!
Reply 1664
Original post by jam277

Injuries, poor management and bad transfer business. Losing Stranzl, Dominguez etc to injury sure hurts a lot but Favre's reaction to it has been senseless, throwing all the youngsters out against BVB and then kneejerk-rotating his backline every match and fielding individual players in too many positions, knocking any continuity, confidence and rhythm in the process.

Regarding transfers it's the same question as with bvb last season. Either they buy players for the coach and his system, or the coach changes his system. If they like bvb with Klopp want to stick with Favre & his football, replacing Kruse and Kramer with Drmic and Stindl and not investing in more alternatives probably wasn't the wisest of decisions. But now that's done, so what Favre needs to do is adapt his system and find something that works. The squad isn't great, but not relegation-bad either, so it's doable. We'll see whether he will & can, or whether they'll reinvest in the winter.
(edited 8 years ago)
Mikhytaryan has been absolutely fantastic this season. Haven't really had the time to watch Dortmund other than highlights but he's scored 9 goals already this season. Seems more like the Mikhytaryan of 13/14 and of Shaktar now.

Also possibly a title challenge from Dortmund this season? Don't trust Wolfsburg to do much more than top 2/3 with the loss of De Bruyne but Dortmund looking reinvigorated for sure.
Original post by Vae
Injuries, poor management and bad transfer business. Losing Stranzl, Dominguez etc to injury sure hurts a lot but Favre's reaction to it has been senseless, throwing all the youngsters out against BVB and then kneejerk-rotating his backline every match and fielding individual players in too many positions, knocking any continuity, confidence and rhythm in the process.

Regarding transfers it's the same question as with bvb last season. Either they buy players for the coach and his system, or the coach changes his system. If they like bvb with Klopp want to stick with Favre & his football, replacing Kruse and Kramer with Drmic and Stindl and not investing in more alternatives probably wasn't the wisest of decisions. But now that's done, so what Favre needs to do is adapt his system and find something that works. The squad isn't great, but not relegation-bad either, so it's doable. We'll see whether he will & can, or whether they'll reinvest in the winter.

Yeah constant back line rotation really doesn't help your defence. Does it look like Favre will get the sack at this rate or do the board trust him enough for him to turn it around?

What kind of system is likely to change their fortunes with the players they have got?
(edited 8 years ago)
Thomas Muller is only 26? What even? He could have 30 odd world cup goals by the time he's done.
Original post by Vae

Reckon they can do anything to challenge City in the CL group?

Juventus haven't started well, of course. Dybala looks exciting, and Mandzukic will prove to be a shrewd acquisition in a physical league like Serie A, but they massively miss Vidal and Pirlo. Pogba isn't a man who can carry a side. Nowhere near.

I'd have given Gladbach a decent chance of progressing had they started the domestic season well, but they've conceded 8 thus far this term. I think I read somewhere earlier that they only conceded 10 post-Christmas last season. That's an alarming disintegration at the back.
Original post by The Shed End
Thomas Muller is only 26? What even? He could have 30 odd world cup goals by the time he's done.

Yeah he's most definitely going to smash the WC goalscorer record at this rate. Depends on whether he still starts next WC, Germany will have Kruse(possibly Werner) challenging for the ST spot and they have plenty of attacking midfielders and CMs. Guess he'd probably still start though.
(edited 8 years ago)
....Gladbach are ****ed both domestically and in Europe. Poor bastards.
Original post by The Shed End

Yeah, I give Müller credits to score seven goals at the the next world up and to set a new record. He is so effective in scoring goals, the best attacker in German squad without a doubt, although he is a midfielder!

Original post by Mackay
....Gladbach are ****ed both domestically and in Europe. Poor bastards.

Yeah, Gladbach is playing a bad season at the moment.
Good to see Draxler on form for his new club. Of course, he has some way to go to reach the heights that De Bruyne has, but a good solid performance last night - coupled with the winner - suggests he and Wolfsburg will make life difficult for LVG.

United have already lost once away, and you can't see them getting six points from CSKA and Wolfsburg away. In fact, they may make just 0 or 1. That leaves them in a heck of a predicament.
Original post by Mackay
Good to see Draxler on form for his new club. Of course, he has some way to go to reach the heights that De Bruyne has, but a good solid performance last night - coupled with the winner - suggests he and Wolfsburg will make life difficult for LVG. (...)

Does LVG stand for Louis Van Gaal, the United Coach?

In terms of Draxler, he is a very young but very skillful player. If everything goes well - that is to say receive not so many injuries - he will achieve De Bruyne's level very soon.
Original post by Kallisto
Does LVG stand for Louis Van Gaal, the United Coach?

Haha. Yep. Should have made that more clear.
Original post by Mackay
Haha. Yep. Should have made that more clear.

It was clear enough to guess it out.

I think so too that LVG will run into difficulties when United has to play against Wolfsburg.
Fair play to Leverkusen tonight. They were seriously impressive, albeit at home. They could surprise people this year for sure.
Gladbach lose again. Damn this is a shocking start to the season.

Think I'm going to watch Dortmund tomorrow as they're looking on fire atm.
Original post by jam277
Gladbach lose again. Damn this is a shocking start to the season.
(...)

Imagine, a team like Gladbach which was brilliant in the last three seasons (have had a great development process) has to relegate, while a team like HSV which does not deserve to be in 1.Bundesliga for two years (this team was very awful in this time span!) is playing another seasons in the highest league. That would be really unfair.
Reply 1678
Original post by Kallisto
Imagine, a team like Gladbach which was brilliant in the last three seasons (have had a great development process) has to relegate, while a team like HSV which does not deserve to be in 1.Bundesliga for two years (this team was very awful in this time span!) is playing another seasons in the highest league. That would be really unfair.

Aye, would be shocking but I don't see it happening. There's a lot of quality in the squad and 29 matches to go. How quickly a team can ascend the table was seen last year with Dortmund. I still would lay a bet on them being at least Europa League at the end of the season.

Dortmund match soon. Looking forward to that. First real test for Dortmund today to see whether they can, in fact, keep up with Bayern or whether they'll go back to being somewhere around 4/5/6th place.
Original post by asdef-
(...)
Dortmund match soon. Looking forward to that. First real test for Dortmund today to see whether they can, in fact, keep up with Bayern or whether they'll go back to being somewhere around 4/5/6th place.

I hope that Dortmund has a strong enough squad in fighting for championship as long as possible. The same applies for Wolfsburg. At the end, Bayern will the win the race, just because there are 10 up to 12 teams out of 18 which are no match for this team, so get 60 up to 72 points so easily without any great efford.

Quick Reply

Latest