The Student Room Group
Well they could give you a capacitor of a known value and get you to charge it using a resistor to protect it. Then you can work out the charge by the voltage across it. Then you may have to connect it to another resistor in parallel so they share the charge, put a voltmeter across it and get the voltage, then work out the combined capacitance. Then using the value for the first capacitor you can work out the capacitance of the new one by deducting this from your new value.

This could be it but I just don't know.
Reply 2
androidkiller
Well they could give you a capacitor of a known value and get you to charge it using a resistor to protect it. Then you can work out the charge by the voltage across it. Then you may have to connect it to another resistor in parallel so they share the charge, put a voltmeter across it and get the voltage, then work out the combined capacitance. Then using the value for the first capacitor you can work out the capacitance of the new one by deducting this from your new value.

This could be it but I just don't know.

resistor to protect it?
To stop a short circuit I think. I just remember we always used a resistor to charge ours when we were learning, or perhaps that was varying the speed of charging.

Also, you could have to plot a current against time graph and use the area under it to find out the charge that went on to the capacitor, measure the pd across it and use Q = CV to work out the capacitance. I just don't know- it could be anything!

Latest