The Student Room Group

Best textbook/revision guide for OCR A2 Biology?

--
(edited 10 years ago)
Hey there. While you're waiting for a reply to your post, we thought we'd give your thread a timely bump.

But don't twiddle your thumbs in the meantime! Kick off your revision and study time by heading to our Learn Together section.

In Learn Together, you'll find interactive study tools to help make your revision quicker and easier. We've also got thousands of handpicked assignments analysed by great teachers, so you can learn from top-marked work. And there's tons more too: get started on Learn Together now!
Original post by geor
x

Eugh, OCR Biology. Firstly.. good luck (i've just finished it)! Now, onto the books..

The first one you mention is the course textbook which, is written in the normal OCR fashion which I typically characterize as waffle, waffle and some more waffle - some topics are covered in so much detail, when in reality they may only ever crop up as 1 mark questions in an exam or (even worse) some of the really detailed analysis may only refer to a ridiculously small part of the specification. The CGP revision guide is much better at slimming down the material; however, the downside to this is that some smaller, yet equally important points (which the textbook covers) are sometimes missed out.

For A2, you really need to get the whole picture so I'd recommend getting both textbook and revision guide and always referring topics between the two books so you can find a happy medium. Personally, I've never used the third textbook and unfortunately I don't actually know anyone who has (at least at my sixth form) but if you find it helpful then I'd get it and use it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending