The Student Room Group

Saw my girlfriend cry for the first time today

My girlfriend and I were meant to be spending the whole weekend together but it got cut short because work needed me unexpectedly. On the way walking her to the train station I noticed she looked upset I asked if she was okay and then she suddenly started crying. Not full on sobbing or anything, just a few tears. I hugged her and she stopped crying after a minute or two.

Was it bad that I told her to not be silly and that there was no need to cry because it's not like we wouldn't see each other again? (We live in different cities so we're kind of on a long distance relationship) She apologised and said she was just sad we couldn't spend the weekend together. Was I harsh/should I have been more sensitive? Or was she being dramatic crying?
A few tears in the eyes is not dramatic crying, trust me :tongue:

I don't think you was harsh, just told it how it was.
I think she was just a bit sad. It's understandable, it would be super disappointing if I'd been planning for ages to see my long distance bf just to be sent away again because of work.
From her apologetic reaction, it seems you'll be fine. After reading this, it makes me want a girlfriend like this so badly. I think it's really sweet how much she enjoys being with you and how much she misses you not being there. Almost brings a tear to my own eyes just pondering it. :indiff:

Best wishes to you both anyways.
Reply 4
You shouldn't tell her she's "silly" because she's crying. Since it was the first time, she doesn't seem like someone who overreacts. Just comfort her and tell her you'll see each other soon. Don't make a big issue out of it.
I do this all the time... well, not all the time, but I have done this! (the crying bit when we have to say goodbye)
You weren't harsh in your response. In fact, I find that kind of response reassuring :smile: Good luck!

Original post by tre101
My girlfriend and I were meant to be spending the whole weekend together but it got cut short because work needed me unexpectedly. On the way walking her to the train station I noticed she looked upset I asked if she was okay and then she suddenly started crying. Not full on sobbing or anything, just a few tears. I hugged her and she stopped crying after a minute or two.

Was it bad that I told her to not be silly and that there was no need to cry because it's not like we wouldn't see each other again? (We live in different cities so we're kind of on a long distance relationship) She apologised and said she was just sad we couldn't spend the weekend together. Was I harsh/should I have been more sensitive? Or was she being dramatic crying?
Reply 6
Right ok I think it's really sweet. Guys have to recognise that it can be more difficult for girls to control emotions and a lot of the time hormones can get the better of us. So it's often the case that there'll be like exaggerated reactions to things. It is possible however that she was really that upset because hasn't been able to spend time with you and if I may...loves you/or at least likes you a lot :smile:
Yeah, no that's fine. You did good.

Just don't be condescending or make her feel stupid. "Don't be silly" is fine as long as you said it in a compassionate way. Often when people cry they know it's for a pretty daft reason, but they still can't help themselves. Sometimes you just feel sad. Be comforting. The worst thing is crying and your partner just doesn't care or ignores it. A hug, comforting words and a smile is good.
Reply 8
Original post by Autistic Merit
From her apologetic reaction, it seems you'll be fine. After reading this, it makes me want a girlfriend like this so badly. I think it's really sweet how much she enjoys being with you and how much she misses you not being there. Almost brings a tear to my own eyes just pondering it. :indiff:

Best wishes to you both anyways.

He is saying right thing here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending