The Student Room Group

Nursing 2014 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I want to be an Adult Nurse since I was at school aswell - but did work for 2 years and went back to college.
I want to go to Southampton in 2014 and would be considered a "adult learner" as I would be 20 when I start.
I am a HCA at Winch hospital on the bank and uni's said that it would be brilliant to put into personal statement as it shows you have previous experience and what it is like to be on a ward and work alongside nurses.
If you have any other work experience relating to nursing for example doctors surgeries (although unlikely) and maybe community nursing then that is also considered to look good.
Good luck and maybe see you there!
Reply 81
Hey.. I am a 2014 entry student hoping to apply for Child Nursing, I thought I would get in on this chat! :smile: Errmm firstly I cannot figure out this site really (like I don't know how you kind of 'post a question') so if someone could enlighten me that would be really great and also, I don't know about any other 2014 students, but I am really struggling finding a hospital volunteering placement :frown: does anyone have any advice on finding placements like that? I have tried on the NHS site and I was thinking of going down to my local hospital and asking whether they have a human resources department and ask them directly what to do... but I don't know whether that's a normal thing to do - it is a hospital after all :/ not sure. Thank you!
Original post by EllaHolmes
Hey.. I am a 2014 entry student hoping to apply for Child Nursing, I thought I would get in on this chat! :smile: Errmm firstly I cannot figure out this site really (like I don't know how you kind of 'post a question') so if someone could enlighten me that would be really great and also, I don't know about any other 2014 students, but I am really struggling finding a hospital volunteering placement :frown: does anyone have any advice on finding placements like that? I have tried on the NHS site and I was thinking of going down to my local hospital and asking whether they have a human resources department and ask them directly what to do... but I don't know whether that's a normal thing to do - it is a hospital after all :/ not sure. Thank you!

Most hospitals should have a voluntary services department? Have you looked on your hospitals nhs website?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 83

Hey - welcome!
When I was applying for voluntary experience I also looked on NHS website, yes you do have to ring the hospitals, ask to speak to HR, personnel or voluntary services. I found a lot of them were grateful for the interest but didn't have anything in place for volunteers, or had a waiting list. My advice would be to make a list of hospitals within travelling distance, ring them in working hours as although it's a hospital the offices are only open 9-5ish! Be prepared for a lot of no's, but also don't give up - look further afield (can say on your personal statement that you are prepared to travel to placements) or look at hospices or other voluntary organisations. Doesn't necessarily have to be hospital experience, as the tutors at open days at uni told me. They stressed it's more important what u take away from the experience.
Sorry if this post is a bit long got carried away hah.
Reply 84
Hi everyone :smile:

I'm planning on applying for Adult nursing for the September 2014 intake. I applied for September 2013 intake last year but I didn't get any interview unfortunately as I didn't have any work experience ( which i now have cause I did a ten weeks work experience at a nursing home) when I wrote my PS and sent it off.
I think I'm more ready this year and my parents are really ready for me to move this time round if I do get a place.
I'm applying from Ireland through an access course that includes 11 modules ( Care support, Communications, Work Experience, Human Growth and Development, Social Studies, Psychology, Introduction to Nursing, Anatomy and Physiology, Intercultural Studies, Care Skills and Work Experience).
I've decided to use my PS from last year with a few tweaks to my change circumstances (Does anyone know if this is okay?)

So sorry this is so long, I just wanted to get it all out there!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 85
You can't use the same personal statement again, when it goes through the plagiarism detectors it will be flagged up and you could ha e your application cancellled! So I would recommend re writing it!

Good luck, hopefully you will get a place this year! It just proves how important having some experience really is!!
Reply 86
Omg really?! Better get started on a new PS so!
Yea, experience is most definitely important!
Reply 87
Original post by northernlass
Most hospitals should have a voluntary services department? Have you looked on your hospitals nhs website?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi yeah I have gone on the site.. bit its so confusing and messed up (as you have probably noticed I am not too tech savvy) and they are now sending me jobs :confused: so I really don't know?
Reply 88
Original post by boltonmum
Hey - welcome!
When I was applying for voluntary experience I also looked on NHS website, yes you do have to ring the hospitals, ask to speak to HR, personnel or voluntary services. I found a lot of them were grateful for the interest but didn't have anything in place for volunteers, or had a waiting list. My advice would be to make a list of hospitals within travelling distance, ring them in working hours as although it's a hospital the offices are only open 9-5ish! Be prepared for a lot of no's, but also don't give up - look further afield (can say on your personal statement that you are prepared to travel to placements) or look at hospices or other voluntary organisations. Doesn't necessarily have to be hospital experience, as the tutors at open days at uni told me. They stressed it's more important what u take away from the experience.
Sorry if this post is a bit long got carried away hah.

Heyy thank you! :smile: hehe
To be honest I have never tried ringing the hospitals directly so that may be a good idea and yeah I will write down a list of them, yeah I was told that it does not necessarily have to be hospitals but my tutors from school keep like screaming down my throat about that I will never get in without Hospital experience - not the most helpful really! I will definitely all that you said, ringing them etc and hopefully - thank you!! And don't worry about the length, it was really helpful ^^ mine is long too!! So are you a 2014 Nursing applicant? or in nursing now? :smile:
Reply 89
Heyy thank you! :smile: hehe
To be honest I have never tried ringing the hospitals directly so that may be a good idea and yeah I will write down a list of them, yeah I was told that it does not necessarily have to be hospitals but my tutors from school keep like screaming down my throat about that I will never get in without Hospital experience - not the most helpful really! I will definitely all that you said, ringing them etc and hopefully - thank you!! And don't worry about the length, it was really helpful ^^ mine is long too!! So are you a 2014 Nursing applicant? or in nursing now? :smile:

Glad I could help :smile:

I know what you mean, you're told doesn't have to be hospital but you want to get that so it looks better! I felt daft ringing them at first too ha. No I'm not a nurse, I wish! I'm a 2014 applicant too want to get in Manchester met or Salford. Where are you applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 90
Original post by boltonmum
Glad I could help :smile:

I know what you mean, you're told doesn't have to be hospital but you want to get that so it looks better! I felt daft ringing them at first too ha. No I'm not a nurse, I wish! I'm a 2014 applicant too want to get in Manchester met or Salford. Where are you applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am a 2014 applicant too :smile: not entirely sure where I would like to apply yet.. But my top 2 are Surrey and Nottingham (but for me Nottingham is a bit far) I tried ringing the HR room of the Hospital yesterday but they are only open on weekdays so I will try calling them tomorrow! :smile:
Original post by Abi61894
Anyone looked at surrey or leeds... i haven't had a chance to go to the open days and hoping to get my UCAS in in the next 2 weeks!

I went to an open day in June.

Surrey university is lovely, course is slightly different to other uni's in that you do until Easter in the university doing theory and from then until the end of the year on placement (in the first year this is). You also get given a locality for the three years, which is a set section of centers in which you will be doing placements for the three years, rather than being anywhere in the county like I've found at some other universities.

Relatively low entry requirements too (BBB for adult nursing) and the campus itself is beautiful.

I haven't looked around leeds so I can't comment on that, but if you're looking for another option then I would definetly say surrey is the way to go!
Reply 92

If you have a specific question you can always post a thread in the relevant forum, there's an orange button on the blue bar at the top of all the threads saying "post new thread" where you can do this. Alternatively you could use the search function in the top right corner of the page to see if anything has been posted already on what your looking for.

With volunteering, like others have suggested try contacting the hospitals directly. It can be difficult getting hospital work experience, admissions tutors know this, but there's loads of other things you can try too, like volunteering with St John Ambulance or the Red Cross, volunteering in nursing homes or care homes. I see you're interested in kid's nursing, spending time with a youth organisation like the cubs or brownies or something similar would be useful for your application too.

Hope this is of use to you :smile:
Original post by kattokit
I want to be an Adult Nurse since I was at school aswell - but did work for 2 years and went back to college.
I want to go to Southampton in 2014 and would be considered a "adult learner" as I would be 20 when I start.
I am a HCA at Winch hospital on the bank and uni's said that it would be brilliant to put into personal statement as it shows you have previous experience and what it is like to be on a ward and work alongside nurses.
If you have any other work experience relating to nursing for example doctors surgeries (although unlikely) and maybe community nursing then that is also considered to look good.
Good luck and maybe see you there!

Exactly the same. I'm 19 now, will be 20 when I start in 2014. Also hoping to go to Southampton and also working as a Health Care Assistant in a hospital local to me in Kent. I have included that in my personal statement as I think it shows capability within the field of health :smile:
Reply 94
For those of you posting about age, the average age of a nursing student at the moment is about 28 to 29 years old. You get a lot of mature students studying courses like nursing, so those of you who are a bit old won't be alone.
Reply 95
I've started thinking about the universities and at the moment UEA and Nottingham are my top two choices. I live an hour away from UEA so hoping to get there so I can still see my boyfriend in free time, however applying to Hertfordshire and Surrey too. I can't find a fifth I really like that much so might just apply to those four.
I'm doing the access course and I'm 21. Not finding it difficult yet but I'm excited to get even more stuck in. I've written a couple of paragraphs of my personal statement.

I've also just started volunteering for the charity Scope and it seems like a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to really getting stuck in.
I've also applied to volunteer in a dementia based care home. I haven't been able to get hospital work but a lot of universities have told me its what you learn from the volunteering that matters.

Really interested in what anyone else has to say about the access course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey everyone :smile: I'm applying for child's nursing at Bournemouth, Southampton, Surrey, UWE and Worcester for 2014. PS almost, almost done! Hoping to send my UCAS by the end of the week :biggrin:
Reply 97
Original post by moonkatt
If you have a specific question you can always post a thread in the relevant forum, there's an orange button on the blue bar at the top of all the threads saying "post new thread" where you can do this. Alternatively you could use the search function in the top right corner of the page to see if anything has been posted already on what your looking for.

With volunteering, like others have suggested try contacting the hospitals directly. It can be difficult getting hospital work experience, admissions tutors know this, but there's loads of other things you can try too, like volunteering with St John Ambulance or the Red Cross, volunteering in nursing homes or care homes. I see you're interested in kid's nursing, spending time with a youth organisation like the cubs or brownies or something similar would be useful for your application too.

Hope this is of use to you :smile:

Hey, thank you for the help on this site :smile: hehe. Yeah I have rung Demelza, to see what is available there, and I was planning on visiting the Hospital this Friday as that is just after some volunteering I am doing at a local crèche and in relation to scouting I have been a scout since I was 6, and went to St John's 3 times? (it was on the same day as scouts) so that's okay?? :biggrin: Thank you, yeah it was of use
Reply 98
Original post by mollie_jacobs
I went to an open day in June.

Surrey university is lovely, course is slightly different to other uni's in that you do until Easter in the university doing theory and from then until the end of the year on placement (in the first year this is). You also get given a locality for the three years, which is a set section of centers in which you will be doing placements for the three years, rather than being anywhere in the county like I've found at some other universities.

Relatively low entry requirements too (BBB for adult nursing) and the campus itself is beautiful.

I haven't looked around leeds so I can't comment on that, but if you're looking for another option then I would definetly say surrey is the way to go!

Thanks so much!... Think I want my top 3 choices to be leeds, nottingham and surrey... just don't know which order to put them in since they all have the same entry requirements!
Reply 99
Original post by Abi61894
Thanks so much!... Think I want my top 3 choices to be leeds, nottingham and surrey... just don't know which order to put them in since they all have the same entry requirements!

you don't have to put them in any order of preference for your UCAS application. Only when you've had your interview and been offered a place/s do you decide which one to 'firm' and which one to hold as your 'insurance' place

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending