The Student Room Group

Nursing 2014 entry

Thought I'd start a thread or whatever (newbie) on anyone thinking of or are going to apply to do nursing for the 2014 entry. We can jut discuss and inform each other when we apply, get offers, interviews when the time comes :biggrin:. What subjects are you doing at a level? Which branch are you applying to? And which universities are you thinking of applying to? I'm planning to do adult nursing and thinking of applying to Middlesex, city London, south bank, Hertfordshire and either king's college or Surrey. I'm doing health and social care, applied science and Ict.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I'm Liliana! I also want to apply for Adult Nursing-Southampton University... Have you done your Personal Statement? xxx
Reply 2
Hi :smile: Ooo I heard Southampton is good, are you applying anywhere else? And yes I started it but not finished :frown: haven't looked at my draft in quite a while, so not close to finishing lol. Have you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Yeah, I've done mine, I just need to check the spelling and grammar. Now I'm waiting for the reference. I'll only apply for Southampton and Bournemouth. I'm an EU citizen... Everything is new for me. Hope it'll be fine! XXX Good luck with your application! We'll keep in touch!
Reply 4
Hey I'm applying for adult nursing at anglia Ruskin university and Essex university! Im a mature student, live local and I have a young daughter so need to stay local really. Iv just pretty much finished my ucas application so I'm waiting for it to open in a couple of weeks to send off! I started my personal statement in April and only just finished it, really found the personal statement helper on here invaluable! I volunteer at my local hospital once a week on an ortho ward which has been brilliant and I really hope I get accepted. Quite nervous about the interview process and the tests though a lot of people are saying they're relatively straightforward.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there! :biggrin:

For the past two years I have been drifting between whether I should apply for medicine or nursing. I did manage to get the grades for medicine (A*AA) but I have only just realised that nursing is an area that I would much prefer to be in. I am currently on a gap year which I am using to just develop myself as a person.

I'm thinking of applying to Plymouth, Keele, Nottingham, York, Kings and Brighton. I'm looking forward to talking to the other nursing applicants on here :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by JadeD1990
Hey I'm applying for adult nursing at anglia Ruskin university and Essex university! Im a mature student, live local and I have a young daughter so need to stay local really. Iv just pretty much finished my ucas application so I'm waiting for it to open in a couple of weeks to send off! I started my personal statement in April and only just finished it, really found the personal statement helper on here invaluable! I volunteer at my local hospital once a week on an ortho ward which has been brilliant and I really hope I get accepted. Quite nervous about the interview process and the tests though a lot of people are saying they're relatively straightforward.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've stated my personal statement but still needs a lot of 'touching up'. I've done work experience in nursing homes and hospitals but i still want to get more experience on different wards. Yeah I'm more nervous about if I'll get an offer or not than the interviews lol. Good luck to you! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by HighwayUnicorn
Hi there! :biggrin:

For the past two years I have been drifting between whether I should apply for medicine or nursing. I did manage to get the grades for medicine (A*AA) but I have only just realised that nursing is an area that I would much prefer to be in. I am currently on a gap year which I am using to just develop myself as a person.

I'm thinking of applying to Plymouth, Keele, Nottingham, York, Kings and Brighton. I'm looking forward to talking to the other nursing applicants on here :smile:

Wow, I think I would've gone for medicine but I realised too late and plus I don't think I would've got the grades tbh. But nonetheless nursing is definitely the right path for me. What branch of nursing are you applying to? I was stuck between King's and Surrey but I think I'll end up applying to Surrey. Best wishes! :biggrin:
Original post by luni84
Wow, I think I would've gone for medicine but I realised too late and plus I don't think I would've got the grades tbh. But nonetheless nursing is definitely the right path for me. What branch of nursing are you applying to? I was stuck between King's and Surrey but I think I'll end up applying to Surrey. Best wishes! :biggrin:

I'm debating whether I should apply for childrens or adult, but I am leaning more towards adult nursing the more I think about it.
Reply 9
Hey, im thinking of doing adult nursing. My options at the moment are kings, city, hertfordshire, birmingham city and either de montfort or anglia ruskin. Im just about to start my A2s in biology, psychology and sociology.
Reply 10
Hey,

I'm wanting to do adult nursing at either Salford or MMU next year, start my access course next week! Am a mature student (25) with 3 year old and fiancee so will have my plate full! Been volunteering for a couple of months so far on a hospital ward,which has been great. Not got very far with personal statement yet though. When I went to open days in June the unis all said that PS has to be strong so need to do a lot of work on it.

How's everyone else doing with PS?

Exciting to be going back to college :top:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Hi

I am Liz - just started my access course at Manchester college. I've got an art degree and I am hoping to get into Liverpool John Moores or Manchester Uni to do mental health nursing - Starting college course full time next week
Reply 12
Hi everyone. I started my access course this week and will hopefully get onto an Adult Nurses course this time next year.
I'm looking at a few universities, my top two being UEA and Uni of Hertfordshire.

I really like the look of Nottingham and Northampton too, but on their websites it says I need to have GCSE Science. Does anyone know if that's the case? I do have English and Maths but not Science.

My access course modules are Psychology, Human Biology, Health and Community and Applied Maths.

I haven't started my Persona Statement yet and I'm not looking forward to it either.

What's everyone else studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by jadey12
Hi everyone. I started my access course this week and will hopefully get onto an Adult Nurses course this time next year.
I'm looking at a few universities, my top two being UEA and Uni of Hertfordshire.

I really like the look of Nottingham and Northampton too, but on their websites it says I need to have GCSE Science. Does anyone know if that's the case? I do have English and Maths but not Science.

My access course modules are Psychology, Human Biology, Health and Community and Applied Maths.

I haven't started my Persona Statement yet and I'm not looking forward to it either.

What's everyone else studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Northampton didn't ask for gcse science last year. Did you do it at gcse at school? Best to phone them and ask whether your access is enough. On my access course we were able to do gcses along side depending on the uni requirements. I did my maths again as it had been over 20years!!!
Reply 14
Yes they request GCSE Science this year, it's different to last year.
I've already emailed them, just waiting for a reply.
I don't need to do my Maths or English but I know a lot of people on my course are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hellloooooooo,
im applying for the Childrens Branch, started my ucas form but havent finished it yet. Im hoping to stay close to home so thinking edge hill or preston if im lucky enough to get a place. Currently doing an access course aswell so fingers crossed it all goes well :biggrin:
Reply 16
Hi, been accepted onto a place at Brighton for Feb 2014 - childrens branch.
Reply 17
Hi everyone!

I'm also going to be applying for nursing 2014 entry, I really want to do the 4 year adult and child nursing course at Southampton but at other unis ill just be applying for child :smile: at the moment the unis i think I'm going to apply to are southampton, Nottingham, kings, Cardiff and Birmingham :smile:

I volunteer in my local hospital on a adult surgical ward once a week, used to volunteer in an old people's home and I've also done work experience on a neonatal ward and at a school for children with special needs :smile:

I'm just going into my second year of college and studying the international baccalaureate with biology, psychology and English at higher level and French, maths and psychology at standard level.

I'm really looking forward to doing nursing (hopefully) at uni but I'm definitely nursing for the whole applying process...personal statements are so hard!! And interviews are scary :L

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Just sent off my ucas application quite nervous to hear back... One of them iv applied for march intake so I'm hoping il hear very soon on that one!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Hi! I've just sent off my application.... I applied to Southampton and Bournemouth. At the interview they might ask Why Adult Nursing, Why not Child or Mental Health? :/ Any idea? xxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending