The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge postgraduate applicants 2014/15

Scroll to see replies

Hello! I'm probably going to be applying for the MPhil in Archaeology (taking the Medieval Archaeology route) at Cambridge. I'm going into my third year of my BA in History at Oxford - got a distinction in first year (average of 68.5), and am tentatively predicted a 1st overall, but will probably get a 2:1. A Level grades (are they relevant?) are A*AA (with an A* in General Studies, too!)

This is sort of just a sudden change of heart I've had regarding post-graduation plans. I was originally looking into museum studies courses, but after getting told that they're incredibly vocational/being warned that they're not much use straight after graduation, I came across the Cambridge Archaeology course, which not only actively encourages applications from history undergraduates, but also allows me to hopefully combine a bit of museum studies with the more theoretical/intellectual side in the form of Medieval Archaeology modules.

Experience wise I've done a week on a dig way back in 2010, quite a bit of museum volunteering, including an internship with the numismatic department of the Berlin State Museums (which is what sort of highlighted to me that I'd like to do something slightly less vocational than pure museum studies), and am writing my undergraduate thesis on Anglo-Scandinavian metalwork and coins. I'm one of only 2 people in my year doing a medieval archaeology paper at the moment, so could possibly come top of the university in it! :tongue:

The only thing that's frightening me is the £18000 financial guarantee :s-smilie:
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 41
Original post by flywithemma
The only thing that's frightening me is the £18000 financial guarantee :s-smilie:

Same here, even though I'd have no tuition fees in my course. I'm doing some research to see what scholarships I can possible apply for.
Reply 42
Hi everyone.

I got an offer for a PhD study in Cambridge and wonder how the life as a PhD student is like in Cambridge. That, of course, depends mainly on the department/supervisor. However, I am mainly interested in the working times: Do you usually have fixed working hours (e.g. 9 to 5) where you are asked to be in the lab/office or is there some flexibility? What is your average amount of work (in hours) a week? Also, can you just take off a day or two (without anyone knowing) whenever you want or wouldn't that be possible? How will that be checked? I assume that there are rooms where all PhD students gather, rather than having the PhD students sitting next to the supervisors.

I'm not asking because I'm lazy but I'm an international student and would really appreciate the opportunity to go back home for some extended weekend trips on a regular basis. That really is a concern of mine and makes me even think about not accepting the offer. Also, I don't want to miss out a 2-3 weeks summer holiday. On the other hand, I'd of course be very happy to make up for that by working more than usually during the other weeks and on weekends (or even during the time being back in my home country).

Thanks for your help
xx
What is your discipline? In my experience, the likes of working hours and expectations of attendance at the lab/office really depends on what subject you're doing, and in particular whether you are lab-based. Nearly all of my scientist, lab-based friends work a 9-5 type of schedule (through frequently they work far more than that!), whereas we in the humanities are a bit more flexible, largely because a lot of disciplines in the arts don't give any real work space to their postgrad students (with some exceptions), so you are free both to set your own 'hours' and to work where you like. The same question will also influence holidays etc., although everyone I know takes a holiday in the summer and those from abroad (myself included) regularly go home for various things.

Original post by leandrine
Hi everyone.

I got an offer for a PhD study in Cambridge and wonder how the life as a PhD student is like in Cambridge. That, of course, depends mainly on the department/supervisor. However, I am mainly interested in the working times: Do you usually have fixed working hours (e.g. 9 to 5) where you are asked to be in the lab/office or is there some flexibility? What is your average amount of work (in hours) a week? Also, can you just take off a day or two (without anyone knowing) whenever you want or wouldn't that be possible? How will that be checked? I assume that there are rooms where all PhD students gather, rather than having the PhD students sitting next to the supervisors.

I'm not asking because I'm lazy but I'm an international student and would really appreciate the opportunity to go back home for some extended weekend trips on a regular basis. That really is a concern of mine and makes me even think about not accepting the offer. Also, I don't want to miss out a 2-3 weeks summer holiday. On the other hand, I'd of course be very happy to make up for that by working more than usually during the other weeks and on weekends (or even during the time being back in my home country).

Thanks for your help
xx
Reply 44
Original post by sj27
I don't know much about the diploma in terms of competitivness - no idea how many apply etc, but I woud think they take the same kind of criteria into account. For references, I guess one from the head and one from a lecturer would be fine, as long as both your references know you and can co,met on your academic ability that should be fine. Bear in mind they will have to submit references directly to Cambridge online.

No idea, sorry.

Thanks sj27. Do you have any recommendations regarding the statement of purpose/essays that I need to submit along the application? What is Cambridge looking for? How do I convince Cambridge that I am the right applicant and capable of the workload?
Furthermore, Cambridge states "Subject to performance in the Diploma, they (applicants) may then proceed if they wish to one of the MPhil degrees, thus achieving a Master's qualification after two years of study". Do you know what 'satisfactory performance' in terms of marks refers to? Thanks alot. Any further advice on how to boost my application is more than welcome.
Is it commonly done and a straightforward process to go from a Natural Sciences degree at Durham to postgraduate study and PhD, in a scientific field, at Cambridge?
I don't know whether a natural sciences degree from durham will have sufficient detail after 3/4 years to do a PhD in a specific area, you'd need to ask them directly. Durham's NatSci is very different to Cambridge's course.
Reply 47
Hi gutenberg,

thanks for your response, that's very helpful indeed. I will be in the Manufacturing Engineering department on the West Cambridge Site, if you have any information about students over there? I would really appreciate and be happy about that.
Reply 48
I can't comment on Cambridge, but I'm a postgrad and we have to sign the equivalent of a contract (if I remember correctly, this was for 37 hours a week of study). Our holidays are mandated - 1 week at Christmas, 1 week at Easter, 2-3 weeks during August. Anything outside that has to be agreed by our supervisors. This means that we're dependent on our supervisors for flexibility. Mine really don't care what time off I take or when, as long as I produce good work and hit deadlines. Other people in my office have supervisors who expect them to be on campus 9-5 Monday-Friday and will check up on them.
Reply 49
Original post by leandrine

I'm not asking because I'm lazy but I'm an international student and would really appreciate the opportunity to go back home for some extended weekend trips on a regular basis. That really is a concern of mine and makes me even think about not accepting the offer.

At face value I find this a very strange thing to be a factor in your decision. I don't know your personal circumstances of course (you may have a terminally ill relative that you need to see regularly) but it seems to me an odd reason for someone to consider not taking a PhD program.
Reply 50
It's indeed to do with family reasons but that's not the point: if you have two mostly equally nice offers, this one specific reason might get more important than one would think. So the decision is not that crucial .. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 51
Original post by David125
Thanks sj27. Do you have any recommendations regarding the statement of purpose/essays that I need to submit along the application? What is Cambridge looking for? How do I convince Cambridge that I am the right applicant and capable of the workload?
Furthermore, Cambridge states "Subject to performance in the Diploma, they (applicants) may then proceed if they wish to one of the MPhil degrees, thus achieving a Master's qualification after two years of study". Do you know what 'satisfactory performance' in terms of marks refers to? Thanks alot. Any further advice on how to boost my application is more than welcome.

I remember reading that you needed to get a 65% to progress onto the Mphil. This was quite a while back though so it might have gone up. Have you tried emailing someone from the department?
Reply 52
Original post by David125

Be sure that your research proposal adequately matches up with a faculty member in your department, otherwise, there will be no one to supervise your work. Your marks, references, and written work should indicate to the Faculty Board that you've reached a high enough level of proficiency in your research area to handle the workload at the postgraduate level. As far as "satisfactory performance" goes, most courses require at least a 65%, but it's Faculty-specific to check the requirements for the course you want to attend.
Well I have finally decided to post :smile:

In currently looking at part iii maths. My grades aren't what you call amazing (on a low first atm) however I would put in the application depending in how third year looks for me.

I'm currently doing a research project and my supervisor is impressed with me. I'm also looking at the states for grade school where I would more likely apply for 2015 entry. So hello :wavey:
can someone tell me, if the one year masters I intend to apply for is not listed here (http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/students/studentregistry/fees/funding/ahrc/index.html), does this mean that it's likely that there will not be AHRC funding available for to study this course at Cambridge next year either? I really hope this is not the case :'(
Reply 55
can someone tell me, if the one year masters I intend to apply for is not listed here (http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/students/studentregistry/fees/funding/ahrc/index.html), does this mean that it's likely that there will not be AHRC funding available for to study this course at Cambridge next year either? I really hope this is not the case :'(

Did you have a look at http://www.arch.cam.ac.uk/other-funding.html ?

Yup! I was just a bit confused because there it says 'Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) studentships are available for students from the UK and EU applying to do a MPhil or PhD degree', and that you will be automatically considered, however on the first link I posted, it states that last year they only offered AHRC funding for Archaeology PhDs and not MPhils (at least I think this is what it's saying!), and stressed that you need to fill in a particular bit of a form in a particular way, which doesn't really seem like automatic consideration?

I think I might do what it suggests and contact one of the members of the archaeology faculty. Or wait until next the academic year starts again and go to uni talks about funding etc.

Edit: it also seems I'll be disadvantaged because lots of masters funding seems to depend on the guarantee that you'll then go on to do a PhD, which I definitely don't want to do straight after my masters/if at all. AH.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 57
I think I might do what it suggests and contact one of the members of the archaeology faculty. Or wait until next the academic year starts again and go to uni talks about funding etc.

Ye, this seems like the logical next step. I couldn't find anything more than you did online unfortunately. I'll do anything to get away from finishing my dissertation write up atm :P
i have a 2.1 from glasgow.. im trying out master in mechanical engineering.. what can i do to increase my chances of getting admitted? generally speaking
Reply 59
Original post by divineflare1411
i have a 2.1 from glasgow.. im trying out master in mechanical engineering.. what can i do to increase my chances of getting admitted? generally speaking

What course are you after? There are quite a few Mphils.

It's gonna be difficult with a 2.1 if the course is competitive. What will help you out are strong references, a good research proposal (if applicable) and good interview performance (if applicable). List any awards/publications if you have any.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending