The Student Room Group

Biology A Level mature students?

Hey there, are there any mature students (i use the term loosely, and don't mean to offend) studying Biology A level as an adult? I've just started with a home learning course, so would be nice to speak to other people in a similar situation.

Even if you're not doing a home learning course, still reply. It's always good to meet new people.

Scroll to see replies

Hey there. While you're waiting for a reply to your post, we thought we'd give your thread a timely bump.

But don't twiddle your thumbs in the meantime! Kick off your revision and study time by heading to our Learn Together section.

In Learn Together, you'll find interactive study tools to help make your revision quicker and easier. We've also got thousands of handpicked assignments analysed by great teachers, so you can learn from top-marked work. And there's tons more too: get started on Learn Together now!
Nobody? Oh. :frown:
Reply 3
Hi Sam
I am a 21 yr old mature student looking to take Biology A level. I am researching at the moment how to do so. Lots of distance learning courses are expensive, but perhaps preferable to going back to a teenager filled classroom. May I ask what course you chose?
Sophie
Hey sorry I took so long to reply. I'm doing Biology and Psychology with ICS as no local college allows adults to study A Levels. Have you made any progress with it yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,
I am a mature student (am 36) taking Biology AS this year and currently panicking about having messed up the exam today :/
I wanted to study in a college but couldn't find one so am doing it on my own. I have however got a tutor I go and see once a month or so as was struggling to manage on my own.
I'm taking biology through distance learning, just had my Unit 1 exam this morning actually!
Reply 7
Hi,

I have been looking at different courses to do. Being 20 soon, Biology A level is an option, but lab experiments and things, are you having to do them at home? Is this difficult,, compared to school, where they have everything for you :P

Original post by sarah-april
Hi,
I am a mature student (am 36) taking Biology AS this year and currently panicking about having messed up the exam today :/
I wanted to study in a college but couldn't find one so am doing it on my own. I have however got a tutor I go and see once a month or so as was struggling to manage on my own.

Your better off enrolling in a college for the practical unit and paying for it too be done with a teacher. Who will guide you through it, it will make getting a good grade easier knowing you don't have to worry about it. There are so many places that will be able to assist you with it, private colleges.

I found if you get the syllabus, read the learning outcomes, i wasted so much time trying to learn a whole textbook rather than understanding the damn thing, youtube and the use of a private tutor helps.
Original post by k17
Hi,

I have been looking at different courses to do. Being 20 soon, Biology A level is an option, but lab experiments and things, are you having to do them at home? Is this difficult,, compared to school, where they have everything for you :P

I personally think its easier, I hated school doing things at someone else pace. TSR is really good for bits and pieces, practicals are easy to sort out so you get a better grade then you would at school. Im 26 and I work full time, far from academic, you might actually enjoy it more. If your passionate and organised about it, theres no reason why you shouldn't do well.
I'm in my 30s :/ ... Doing the course through NEC, thought it was going great until the unit 1 exam earlier this week, now I feel like I know nothing!! Did anyone else do the edexcel as unit 1 on May 21st? Good luck to anyone taking exams, it's not easy studying while working etc!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SloaneRanger
Your better off enrolling in a college for the practical unit and paying for it too be done with a teacher. Who will guide you through it, it will make getting a good grade easier knowing you don't have to worry about it. There are so many places that will be able to assist you with it, private colleges.

I found if you get the syllabus, read the learning outcomes, i wasted so much time trying to learn a whole textbook rather than understanding the damn thing, youtube and the use of a private tutor helps.

Good advice, I think I might do that next year. A tutor definitely helps but the practicals were hard to study for
Learning the whole textbook is exactly what i'm trying to do. I've been trying for a year and not got further than unit 1. I'm 25 and work full time and rarely find the time to study, so it's a bit overwhelming for me.
Original post by SamMorrissey88
Learning the whole textbook is exactly what i'm trying to do. I've been trying for a year and not got further than unit 1. I'm 25 and work full time and rarely find the time to study, so it's a bit overwhelming for me.

Learning a full textbook can be some what unproductive, best to get the syllabus and then look for the key points to understand. Look at the learning outcomes, work from that.
Learning a full textbook can be some what unproductive, best to get the syllabus and then look for the key points to understand. Look at the learning outcomes, work from that.

That's a great idea, thank you. So have you done biology a level, or are you doing it now?
Original post by SamMorrissey88
That's a great idea, thank you. So have you done biology a level, or are you doing it now?

Doing it now, trust me at 26 it is painful, i spent months just reading the book. Chapter by chapter and I felt after looking on TSR how the kiddies do it nowadays such a waste of time. Also I watch a fair amount of youtube, so many teachers have put up videos, they are really useful in understanding complex topics! Like after a days work the last thing you want to be doing is reading a book, but at least if you have it on you gage the concepts and ideas behind it.
Doing it now, trust me at 26 it is painful, i spent months just reading the book. Chapter by chapter and I felt after looking on TSR how the kiddies do it nowadays such a waste of time. Also I watch a fair amount of youtube, so many teachers have put up videos, they are really useful in understanding complex topics! Like after a days work the last thing you want to be doing is reading a book, but at least if you have it on you gage the concepts and ideas behind it.

Another great tip! I'm 25, so i know how you feel!
Returning to one of my original threads over a year later, how has everyone got on with studying? Not as good as is hoped if I'm honest!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
I have just finished studying A-level biology with ICS Learn as a mature (late 30s) student, married, working full time with kids to boot. My personal advise would be that you get very little for the money studying with ICS Learn. I achieved a C grade at AS and a D grade at A2 but that was little to do with ICS Learn, and more to do with Bozeman Science and Kahn academy on YouTube.

If I had my time over I would not have spent the money on ICS Learn - my tutor rarely replied to my emails, the forum is dead and have you noticed how many errors there are in the folder? I would instead:

- Familiarise myself with the syllabus at http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/as-and-a-level/biology-2410/subject-content (free)

- Buy the Nelson Thornes (official) textbooks which contain all the same information but error free and with colour diagrams (around £40 for the pair)

- Search for Bozeman Science and Kahn Academy videos on YouTube (free)

- Visit this forum for help and advise when stuck (free)

- Make revision flashcards using Quizlet and test yourself on them daily (free)

- Employ a private tutor to prepare you for the exams (around £50 per hour)

This is pretty much what I did anyway but only after struggling with ICS Learn for a while. Just for a laugh I have attached one of the many errors I spotted in the folder - It's a pretty big one!

The ics resources are notoriously shady.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending