The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Umm in June 2005 although I don't have the exact questions in front of me I did do this paper in class and have seen the examiner's report, they were roughly

How do MEDCs and LEDCs cope with hazards
Exploitation of human resources
The impact of government population policies on the human envrionment

(Sorry there are only three, perhaps someone else can help more with this if you don't have them already)

Then for June 2001 I actually have the questions

1)Compare the impacts of hazards in different parts of the world
2)Discuss the factors which may influence the management of forest resources
3)Examine the environmental consequences of leisure and tourism in LEDCs
4)Discuss the extent to which pollution can be controlled
Don't panic about the first bit of the exam - your basic geographical knowledge will get you through.

The one thing i would say is just watch out for timing - look at how much each of the questions in section A is worth and make sure you don't spend too long on one question. Running out of time panics me and then i write a load of gobbledegook.

Our teacher has told us to that there are often three 'descriptors' that the examiners have when marking answers in section A - something like basic, advanced and extended. In other words, in order to get the higher marks you not only need to use the information in the pack, quote figures and refer to where it came from (aka figure 5) but also apply your own knowledge of geography to add extra detail or to 'suggest' likely effects, causes or consequences.

Not sure if that is clear or not :/

For the essay, apparently wilderness areas haven't come up for a while and may do this year - but please don't hold me to that!!

And another quick tip, it may be worth mentioning or referring to sustainability in the conclusion of your essay - and the future. They like this i think.

Good luck everyone :smile:
Reply 22
Hi,
Thanks cookiewoman for the tips. Our teacher has told us that we should aim to get a mark every 90 seconds in the exam and so therefore should spend the recommended 75 minutes on section A. Therefore if a question is worth 12 marks you should spend 18 minutes on it, 10 marks= 15 minutes and so on.

Just thought I'd add my twopenneth.

Good luck everyone
Anthony
Reply 23
Another tip that my teacher gave us was that if a question in section A asks you to examine the effects (or something along those lines) a could way to tackle it is to group them into environmental, social, economic. Equally if a questions is about influences on something i.e. location of industry or the like you can group them into political, economic, physical. She has told us that by actively stating it even if it seems obvious can put you into the higher mark bands.

The other big tip for section A we were given is use as much terminology as possible i.e. if somewhere is able to sustain a larger population than before say that its carrying capacity has increased rather than "more people can live there".

Like someone else said also try to consider sustainability and even if everything points to it being unsustainable maybe point out that like Boserup hypothesised technology may be able to improve the level of sustainability.
Anthony5
Hi,
Thanks cookiewoman for the tips. Our teacher has told us that we should aim to get a mark every 90 seconds in the exam and so therefore should spend the recommended 75 minutes on section A. Therefore if a question is worth 12 marks you should spend 18 minutes on it, 10 marks= 15 minutes and so on.

Just thought I'd add my twopenneth.

Good luck everyone
Anthony

No worries, and nice one! i was going to try and work out the recommended times but you have done it for me :smile:
Reply 25
Good stuff guys. Yes I as also told for sec. A that it is good to infer things from the info eg. people walking on footpaths --> soil erosion even if it doesn't say that in the extracts.

I think I will answer a Q on even hazards, how human affects the physical, and the wilderness env. eg. periglacial that someone mentioned above. :smile:
Reply 26
im going to look at.

river management-mississippi, yangtze and three gorges dam..possibly aswan dam and london ground water thingy.
a bit on coastan management.
periglacial environments.
problems of rapid industrialisation in cities and waste management.
and some stuff on tourism possibly...

to be honest i dont get this whole theme business..our teacher hasnt really mentioned it :colondollar: can anyone explain?
Right, click on this link, then 'specification' and scroll down to page 30.

http://www.edexcel.org.uk/quals/gce/geography/adv/9214/

It should be tritled 'Unit 6: Synoptic: people and their environment'

As far as i am aware, there will be one question on each of these 4 themes, referring to the content within them e.g.

2. Explain how some physical environments present both challenges and
opportunities.
(25 marks)
3. Examine how urban expansion affects the environment in the more economically
developed countries.
(25 marks)
4. To what extent can the physical environment be managed for sustainable
development?
(25 marks)
5. How and why do local authorities and governments influence the movement of
people?

I took these questions from the specimen paper on the edexcel website.

I think you can do as many of these themes as you want. Our teacher has only taught us (or rather given us case studies for) synoptic theme 6.1 and 6.2.

I am able to use some of the case studies which i learnt for the human and physical paper e.g. the effect of hurricanes on human activity = a hazard

Hope this helps
Reply 28
oooh right ok thanks...well i only really have case studies from theme 2 so i guess ill have to revise that mainly.
Reply 29
has anyone got their notes for their case studies on their pc? if so please post them up or email them to [email protected], it would mean alot! cheers!
Reply 30
hey again, ive looked at mainly theme two...however it doesnt seem to mention management...should i look at managemnt anyway?
Reply 31
Just reapeating wot stooy said, if they anoyone could do the same for [email protected] finding this really hard to revise i dont really know what to do

Latest