The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE Mathematics and economics

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lightningdoritos
Chances of getting in with A*AB with the A* in Maths? I'm doing AS Further Maths next year! Also, do I need to talk about Economics in my personal statement if my other applications are just Maths? (this is the only uni I'm applying to with Economics with Maths, all the others are just Maths)

Unfortunately you don't meet the requirements, so they won't consider you. If you had an offer and then got those grades, they may let you in. Try retaking a few exams to get the entry requirements (at least).
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by JOR2010
Unfortunately you don't meet the requirements

jheeeeeeeeze

Spoiler

Original post by Ff96
:redface: maths AND Eco! Means we'll be first year buddies kinda... Yay us for getting in :biggrin:

Sorry for the late reply but did you meet your offer? I did and I'm going to be staying at bankside. Wbu?
Reply 23
Original post by #Unknown
Sorry for the late reply but did you meet your offer? I did and I'm going to be staying at bankside. Wbu?

It's okay and yep I met my offer! Staying at home as I live in London :biggrin: congrats to you
Original post by Ff96
It's okay and yep I met my offer! Staying at home as I live in London :biggrin: congrats to you

Congrats to you too! Wish I could stay at home too lol but I live like over 200 miles away to the North :P Anyways, have you figured out the type of calculator we're supposed to buy?
Hey guys,

I'm about to enter my third year of Maths and Econ and here were my grades when i applied:-

A-level: A*A*AA (in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chem)
AS: A in Mandarin
GCSEs: 5A* 4A

Advice: Obviously more maths is better, in particular do as many stats modules as you can (even S3, S4 etc.). If you do this, first year stats will be quite straightforward and so you can concentrate on your other modules.

Further Maths isn't essential but is helpful and advantageous. I didn't do Econ but i don't think it matters because my other friends who also applied for Maths and Econ were given offers on their 3 non-Econ A-level subjects and their personal statement didn't even mention econ!

For your personal statement just mention why you love maths and your maths related achievements. Don't spend too much time mentioning extra curriculars/work experience because frankly LSE doesn't care about these as much as grades
Reply 26
Congrats to you too! Wish I could stay at home too lol but I live like over 200 miles away to the North :P Anyways, have you figured out the type of calculator we're supposed to buy?

Aw haha, at least you're going to get the full uni experience! I'm assuming we'll need the proper one with integration and all, maaaan it's expensive ugh
Original post by Ff96
Aw haha, at least you're going to get the full uni experience! I'm assuming we'll need the proper one with integration and all, maaaan it's expensive ugh

Have you already bought a calculator or do the uni sell one to us. Btw, have you joined the lse Facebook group?
Reply 28
Have you already bought a calculator or do the uni sell one to us. Btw, have you joined the lse Facebook group?

I think we get our own but I'm pretty sure we can buy it from uni. And nope I haven't as I'm not on Facebook.. :/
Original post by Ff96
I think we get our own but I'm pretty sure we can buy it from uni. And nope I haven't as I'm not on Facebook.. :/

No one's mentioned anything about it in the Facebook group so thought everyone had it sorted. Btw, have you done any preparatory reading for the course?
Reply 30
No one's mentioned anything about it in the Facebook group so thought everyone had it sorted. Btw, have you done any preparatory reading for the course?

Nope I've done nothing and that's my problem, I wanted to get a headstart before we actually start. Any ideas on what I can do?
Original post by Ff96
Nope I've done nothing and that's my problem, I wanted to get a headstart before we actually start. Any ideas on what I can do?

I really wanted to get a head start as well in the beginning of August but was worried I wouldn't get in lol Anyways, the LSE website suggests the book "Mathematics for economics and finance" by M Anthony. Btw, have you studied A-Level in economics because I think you'd be alright if you did. I unfortunately didn't do it at A-Level so I'm thinking of getting this book ASAP.
Reply 32
I really wanted to get a head start as well in the beginning of August but was worried I wouldn't get in lol Anyways, the LSE website suggests the book "Mathematics for economics and finance" by M Anthony. Btw, have you studied A-Level in economics because I think you'd be alright if you did. I unfortunately didn't do it at A-Level so I'm thinking of getting this book ASAP.

Oh right, and yep I did it at a level, however I've been told numerous times that university level economics is nothing like a level so you should be more than fine!
Original post by Ff96
Oh right, and yep I did it at a level, however I've been told numerous times that university level economics is nothing like a level so you should be more than fine!

Yep but after looking online at current students opinions, they say that the lecturers miss out a lot of important stuff and the only way the student knew this was because he did a bit of outside reading.
Original post by Ff96

Yep but after looking online at current students opinions, they say that the lecturers miss out a lot of important stuff and the only way the student knew this was because he did a bit of outside reading.
Reply 35

Oh right then, and btw did you get that email which included some sort of maths worksheet? I seem to have forgotten everything :K:
Original post by Ff96
Oh right then, and btw did you get that email which included some sort of maths worksheet? I seem to have forgotten everything :K:

Yes and Haha same here! Its kind of worrying seen as we're starting in a few weeks :P btw, have you ever studied the triangle inequality and the notation for "intervals of real numbers" on '1' (first page) in college? I've never seen this before at A-Level in either maths or further maths.
Reply 37
Yes and Haha same here! Its kind of worrying seen as we're starting in a few weeks :P btw, have you ever studied the triangle inequality and the notation for "intervals of real numbers" on '1' (first page) in college? I've never seen this before at A-Level in either maths or further maths.

Not at all! But then sadly, most of the stuff seems unfamiliar to me :/ looks like I'll have to revisit A2 before I open that email again.. I'm so worried that I'll be the annoying dumb kid in class who knows nothing ugh
Hiii I know that this forum is rather old but I'm applying to LSE and I noticed that you mentioned LSE prefer great personal statements and all, any tips or pointers it would mean a lot, I mean your not obliged to and I'm currently starting to ramble so... yh thank you
Original post by Believeit
Hiii I know that this forum is rather old but I'm applying to LSE and I noticed that you mentioned LSE prefer great personal statements and all, any tips or pointers it would mean a lot, I mean your not obliged to and I'm currently starting to ramble so... yh thank you

Tbh, I didn't think think I'd get an offer with my personal statement since I didn't even meet their minimum requirements of a grade B in English Language so I guess this shows how much they emphasise on the PS cos it must have been quite good for them to accept me. What I did for my PS, was to first look at other student's PS who got into oxbridge studying maths etc. and looked at the content they included:

- Awesome starting paragraph which entices you to read further about your passion for the subject (for me it was maths and I kind of hinted its relevance to economics vaguely - only point in the PS when I even mentioned anything economics related lol)
- Talk about your extra curriculars in next paragraph and the subjects you study and what in particular interests you (like I talked about my passion for pure maths and demonstrated this by reading a relevant book and talking about what it entailed etc.) Also talk about achievements like for example, I took the UKMT Mathematics challenge and got a silver award.
- Your final paragraph really is summarising your key strengths and answering the question of "Why you would be perfect for this course?"

Hope this helps! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending