The Student Room Group

NMR Coupling Constant - Effect of Frequency

Supposing I run a sample at 400 MHz and then again at 200 MHz.

Would the coupling constant change ? I think it would be larger at 400 MHz but I dont fully see why.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
No. The coupling constant will not change. It is the same as the chemical shift; the constant of proportionality introduced by your external magnetic field simply cancels out.

A proper mathematical justification may be more complicated though. I assume you want this, but unfortunately I cannot provide serious derivations over the Internet. The books I recommend are OCP 32, "Nuclear Magnetic Resonance" by PJ Hore, and OCP 92, "NMR: The Toolkit" also by PJ Hore, in that order.
Reply 2
Original post by Big-Daddy
No. The coupling constant will not change. It is the same as the chemical shift; the constant of proportionality introduced by your external magnetic field simply cancels out.

The coupling constant doesn't change because it's a quantum mechanical interaction that doesn't depend on the external field strength.... This is why you want to run with a high field, as this means the coupling constant is relatively small and you stay in the weak coupling regime. (i.e. simple spectra don't need to worry about roofing, overlapping multiplets and all that.)
Reply 3
Coupling constant won't change as it doesn't depends on external magnetic field. Also bit clarification about chemical shift, it the frequency of the resonance expressed with reference to a standard compound which is defined to be at 0 ppm. The scale is made more manageable by expressing it in ppm and is indepedent of the spectrometer frequency.

Quick Reply

Latest