The Student Room Group

please help me choose alevels!

ive still not made my Alevel choices!
i only want one science, not physics
no maths or english
my school doesnt do geography, and i cant take history
it also doesnt do languages

ino my school sucks, and i can not make a final decision, i might do something to do with agriculture or something along the lines of that, i really have no idea
What were you naturally good at in GCSE? If you want a science, then Biology is probably the easiest (though it's not easy) but Chemistry could be equally fun if you enjoyed that sort of thing at GCSE. If you hated Chemistry at GCSE then stay well clear because it only gets more intense (I know because I used to be a science technician and A-level students of Chemistry get a real heavy load and a lot of expectations - which is only cool if you REALLY love it).

How about Psychology or Sociology? Both are interesting and in my experience Sociology was fairly grounded in logic and easy to relate to as it goes into much about how our society is run and the way we as people behave......or are made to behave......it CAN be really interesting. It's not hard to understand as long as you put the work in on planning essays and finding names of people who have carried out research to back up your statements.

What did you want to do for a career? Is your school the only option or are there any colleges locally which might offer qualifications which might suit your interest more?
Your school sounds poo! I would apply to a college or a different sixth form that varies their A-level options instead!
Original post by sonyliv
ive still not made my Alevel choices!
i only want one science, not physics
no maths or english
my school doesnt do geography, and i cant take history
it also doesnt do languages

ino my school sucks, and i can not make a final decision, i might do something to do with agriculture or something along the lines of that, i really have no idea

If you want to do a science, them i would recommend biology. Chemistry is ok if you are into that sort of thing, but from what ive heard its mega hard, and if it doesnt really float your boat, then you might find it more difficult. And you have already said no to physics. And biology would be especially useful if you want to do something to do with agriculture.
I would also recommend looking into sociology and business studies. I did sociology and loved it, i also found it was my easiest subject. From what ive heard, business studies would be a good subject to pick.
If you are looking to do something with agriculture- look on unis websites and see if theres any specific subjects they want you to do.
If you have time, you could also apply to a college that offers more choice in terms of a-levels.
Reply 4
Original post by Emma:-)
If you want to do a science, them i would recommend biology. Chemistry is ok if you are into that sort of thing, but from what ive heard its mega hard, and if it doesnt really float your boat, then you might find it more difficult. And you have already said no to physics. And biology would be especially useful if you want to do something to do with agriculture.
I would also recommend looking into sociology and business studies. I did sociology and loved it, i also found it was my easiest subject. From what ive heard, business studies would be a good subject to pick.
If you are looking to do something with agriculture- look on unis websites and see if theres any specific subjects they want you to do.
If you have time, you could also apply to a college that offers more choice in terms of a-levels.

Hi i was looking to do business, all though was also considering economics, would they be useful together? or just to much? ive never done any of them at GCSE
Reply 5
Original post by dotcomfairyuk
What were you naturally good at in GCSE? If you want a science, then Biology is probably the easiest (though it's not easy) but Chemistry could be equally fun if you enjoyed that sort of thing at GCSE. If you hated Chemistry at GCSE then stay well clear because it only gets more intense (I know because I used to be a science technician and A-level students of Chemistry get a real heavy load and a lot of expectations - which is only cool if you REALLY love it).

How about Psychology or Sociology? Both are interesting and in my experience Sociology was fairly grounded in logic and easy to relate to as it goes into much about how our society is run and the way we as people behave......or are made to behave......it CAN be really interesting. It's not hard to understand as long as you put the work in on planning essays and finding names of people who have carried out research to back up your statements.

What did you want to do for a career? Is your school the only option or are there any colleges locally which might offer qualifications which might suit your interest more?

Im really not sure what i would want to do but was considering maybe doing economics, home economics or business but it wont work cause my school has blocks we have to choose from
Original post by sonyliv
Hi i was looking to do business, all though was also considering economics, would they be useful together? or just to much? ive never done any of them at GCSE

I did GCSE business studies, and really enjoyed it- in fact, thats what i got my best grade in. I didnt do it at a-level myself,but i know others who did- and from what ive heard i kind of wish id done it. I would recommend doing it if you are into that sort of thing. And at east with business studies, you can go on to do a lot of stuff from it.

Quick Reply

Latest