The Student Room Group

Is this possible?

Hello,

Just in case if I don't get my firm, could I call my second-choice uni and see if they'll accept me through clearing and then ask my insurance to release me and then get into my second-choice uni that way?

I don't have much problem with my insurance but I do like my second-choice university a bit better. They originally gave me an offer and also offered to reduce my offer to AAB if I firm it. However, due to its location, I decided to firm my current university.

So in case I don't get into my firm, can I do this?
Original post by Cryl
Hello,

Just in case if I don't get my firm, could I call my second-choice uni and see if they'll accept me through clearing and then ask my insurance to release me and then get into my second-choice uni that way?

I don't have much problem with my insurance but I do like my second-choice university a bit better. They originally gave me an offer and also offered to reduce my offer to AAB if I firm it. However, due to its location, I decided to firm my current university.

It is possible, although you may find your second-choice university needs you to actually be in Clearing before they'll speak to you.

I'm unclear as to why your insurance isn't your second-choice university...?
Reply 2
Original post by TheSownRose
It is possible, although you may find your second-choice university needs you to actually be in Clearing before they'll speak to you.

I'm unclear as to why your insurance isn't your second-choice university...?

Ah, I see. Thank you for the reply. When is the list of universities/courses in clearing released?

And my second-choice uni's offer was AAA and my insurance's offer was AAB. My firm's offer was also AAA. So if I selected my second-choice uni as my insurance, I wouldn't get in if I miss my firm, as they would both require AAA. So, I chose my insurance as it has a lower condition. (AAB).
Original post by Cryl
Hello,

No , I believe you'll have to be released before you go through clearing. ( So you have to be released by your insurance BEFORE clearing , then apply through clearing to your second-choice uni). However , seeing as you have to be released beforehand, and the second-choice might not be able to offer you a place, you could end up losing your insurance ( through release) and not getting a place in your second- choice uni. Is it worth the risk ?
Original post by Cryl
Ah, I see. Thank you for the reply. When is the list of universities/courses in clearing released?

And my second-choice uni's offer was AAA and my insurance's offer was AAB. My firm's offer was also AAA. So if I selected my second-choice uni as my insurance, I wouldn't get in if I miss my firm, as they would both require AAA. So, I chose my insurance as it has a lower condition. (AAB).

The full list is released on midnight of Thursday, although some universities that anticipate being in Clearing have already got lists on their website.

Also bear in mind, it can take some time to get released on results day, by which time any spare places could have gone. It means taking the risk of ending up with no university at all for 2013 entry.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by FutureHeartSurg
No , I believe you'll have to be released before you go through clearing. ( So you have to be released by your insurance BEFORE clearing , then apply through clearing to your second-choice uni). However , seeing as you have to be released beforehand, and the second-choice might not be able to offer you a place, you could end up losing your insurance ( through release) and not getting a place in your second- choice uni. Is it worth the risk ?

Oh man. Can't I informally ring them up and ask them whether they'll accept me through clearing before I actually enter it? If not, that's risky indeed. Is it possible to quickly see what universities and courses are in clearing and then if my second-choice uni is there, I'd go into clearing in the hopes of them taking me. :/
Original post by Cryl
Oh man. Can't I informally ring them up and ask them whether they'll accept me through clearing before I actually enter it? If not, that's risky indeed. Is it possible to quickly see what universities and courses are in clearing and then if my second-choice uni is there, I'd go into clearing in the hopes of them taking me. :/

You can, but some won't talk to you until you're in Clearing officially. In fact, they're not supposed to...

It is risky. :sadnod:
Reply 7
Original post by TheSownRose
The full list is released on midnight of Thursday, although some universities that anticipate being in Clearing have already got lists on their website.

Also bear in mind, it can take some time to get released on Clearing day, by which time any spare places could have gone. It means taking the risk of ending up with no university at all for 2013 entry.

Hmm... such risky decisions. Alright. Thank you for your replies, guys. Very helpful. Let's hope I get into my firm.
Original post by Cryl

Yeah the other commenters are unfortunately correct, any attempt to contact the unis would tend not to be successful beforehand as there are serious legal implications for them doing so. Your best bet would be to.. give it a go anyway :P phone them and see what they think, remember the worst they could do is refuse to answer :P
And you WILL get into your firm. Confidence goes a long way :wink:
Reply 9
Original post by FutureHeartSurg
Yeah the other commenters are unfortunately correct, any attempt to contact the unis would tend not to be successful beforehand as there are serious legal implications for them doing so. Your best bet would be to.. give it a go anyway :P phone them and see what they think, remember the worst they could do is refuse to answer :P
And you WILL get into your firm. Confidence goes a long way :wink:

Aww thank you ^.^ But just in case if I don't, I'll take your advice and phone them up anyway. :smile:

Edit: nvm, got into my firm. :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest