The Student Room Group

Studying a Master's Degree in a completely new subject? (Help!)

Hello all,

Basically I've accepted an offer to study International Relations (MA Taught) at Newcastle University to which I am elated by. However, after much deliberation I'm starting to have doubts about it purely because of my undergraduate degree.

Basically my undergraduate subject was in English Language & Film Studies, a subject that at first would have no relevance to the subject in question. The primary reason that I want to do the MA is firstly, because Politics is a subject I've always had great interest in and never had the opportunity to study before. Secondly, the field that I want to really work in after my studies are political bodies, whether it is the Foreign Office, Local Government or otherwise.

Obviously my personal statement must have been good enough to have been offered the place, but I'm just having doubts about my own abilities really. Though I would say I have a very good knowledge of the political spectrum, I just obviously do not want to enter into the MA and fail or just get a pass. The idea that I could be in a seminar with students that have all studied Politics for their Bachelor's degree is something that does un-nerve me slightly.

Has anyone else went into a Masters to study a subject that has no direct link to their undergraduate?
(edited 10 years ago)
The best thing you can do is lots of preliminary reading during the summer. Pick out the modules you want to register for and read the recommended texts before you start in September. What you could also do for a more introductory start is look at the reading lists of IR/Politics undergraduate degrees.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending