The Student Room Group

Electrochemical Cells Question

Hi guys, i'm not sure how to do this question regarding electrochemical cells :

Predict the reaction that will occur when Cl2 and Br2 are added separately to a solution that contains both Cl- and Br-

Is the answer reduction for both? :confused:
Reply 1
Reply 2
I dont understand the question, but i know the concepts..
Reply 3
Cl2 & 2 electrons taken --> 2 Cl- Eo = +1.359 volts
2Br- --> Br2 & 2 electrons lost Eo = - 1.065 volts

combine both:
Cl2 & 2 Br- --> 2 Cl- & Br2 Eo reaction = + 0.294 volts
+ve sign shows the preferred, product- favored reaction.
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi, is it possible to determine % of Cu in an alloy using Electrochemical cells? :confused:
Reply 5
Original post by Mohid Khan
Hi, is it possible to determine % of Cu in an alloy using Electrochemical cells? :confused:

Yes.
Original post by Borek
Yes.

How?:confused:
Reply 7
You didn't ask for how, you asked if it is possible.

Hint: electrodeposition of copper.
yeh i know the electrode will gain mass due to the copper sulphate BUT how will i determine the PERCENTAGE of Copper in an alloy????
Reply 9
Write the formula for the copper percentage in an alloy. It depends on two quantities. Think how you can measure them.
Mate, why are you looooooooooooooooonging it out :frown:
Reply 11
To force you to think and find the answer by yourself. If you came just for the answer, you have to look for someone else to help you.
Original post by Borek
To force you to think and find the answer by yourself. If you came just for the answer, you have to look for someone else to help you.

Mate i dont know the answer, i am trying to think , but i cant figure it out, plz understand :sigh:
Reply 13
So please follow the hints you are given. Write the formula I asked you about. It is a definition, so you have seen it for sure.
Reply 15
Write the most simple DEFINITION of percent fraction of one thing in the total.

Quick Reply

Latest