The Student Room Group

Do top uni only accept you on to their masters if you go to a prestige uni

Hi everyone, it would really help if you answer this question
:smile:

If i get a 1 class honours degree form a mid level uni and i wanted to do a master degree at one of the top universities like oxbridge, LSE etc....
would they accept me if I'd apply or will they only accept you if you went to one of the top uni or Russel group uni
Reply 1
Generally, entry standards are much lower on Masters than on undergrad courses for the same uni. This is because you (usually) pay the fees directly, up front, therefor you are a cash cow. There may, of course, be limits in how many people they can take in for the Masters, in which case there might be competition, and they will want to make sure you are at a minimum smart enough to do the course.
Original post by chazwomaq
Generally, entry standards are much lower on Masters than on undergrad courses for the same uni. This is because you (usually) pay the fees directly, up front, therefor you are a cash cow. There may, of course, be limits in how many people they can take in for the Masters, in which case there might be competition, and they will want to make sure you are at a minimum smart enough to do the course.

To answer your question: not really but they do take it into account. Take a look at the requirement for MSc Management from a mid tier university - Uni. Manchester:

http://www.mbs.ac.uk/masters/courses/management-msc/entry-requirements.aspx

"When assessing your academic record, we take into account your grade average, position in class, references and the standing of the institution where you studied your qualification. We particularly welcome applications from institutions of high ranking and repute."
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Honestly bro, if you are passionate about your subject, did well in undergrad, have great references, and some relevant experience, I don't think it matters where you went. As an American, I didn't go to Harvard, Yale, etc. but I still got into some really fantastic programs in the UK. Be passionate, work hard, and it will pay off, I promise!
Reply 4
I went from undergrad at a former poly to Masters at a Russell Group, so in many fields there won't be a problem.
Reply 5
Original post by chazwomaq

This is true. If you have a first from anywhere that isn't awful then you will be a strong candidate.
Reply 6
Original post by mr T 999
Hi everyone, it would really help if you answer this question
:smile:

If i get a 1 class honours degree form a mid level uni and i wanted to do a master degree at one of the top universities like oxbridge, LSE etc....
would they accept me if I'd apply or will they only accept you if you went to one of the top uni or Russel group uni

A first from a mid-tier uni for entry to a top uni will definitey give you a chance. However, it also depends what degree you want to do - there are a number of competitive courses where a first is the minimum requirement, so you'll need more than "just" a first if you're applying to one of these. Strong references and a good personal statement will help. If you're at or near the top of your cohort, be sure that your references mention this.
Reply 7
I just graduated with from London South Bank with a 2:1 and got into UCL to do a masters. Your best bet is your personal statement and references I think. My dissertation pertained to the masters I applied for, so that could also have helped.

If you're passionate, and can show it, it's worth a shot. Best of luck mate :smile:
All applications are assessed on an individual bases, so just meeting their minimum requirements might be enough, but they wouldn't reject someone for having not gone to one of those unis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending