The Student Room Group

The Brand New WHSmith Thread MK2

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40

Ah right :biggrin: I'm also 16. Are you looking forward to it? What WHS are you having your interview at?
Reply 41
Original post by theJdog
Ah right :biggrin: I'm also 16. Are you looking forward to it? What WHS are you having your interview at?

I'm looking forward to it, I'm nervous though as for the other jobs I've had so far I haven't had to do an interview, I was just given the job so I'm a little nervous about that part. My interviews at a fairly small WHS high street store :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Original post by miz_sam
I'm looking forward to it, I'm nervous though as for the other jobs I've had so far I haven't had to do an interview, I was just given the job so I'm a little nervous about that part. My interviews at a fairly small WHS high street store :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah right! I'm at Heathrow :biggrin: And wow, you've already had a job! This is my first job, let alone my first interview!! But I guess it went really well and I got the job! And I just wanted to ask, how small does a store have to be to be considered small? Like does it only have one floor, cell certain things (a bit like travel stores). I always get so confused!
Reply 43
Original post by theJdog
Yeah, I'm at Heathrow Airport. And wow! That's quite less! Do you work in London too? And if I work extra hard then they may increase it when I'm 17. But the thing is that I only work 7 hours a week, so I get like £35 a week. Not too bad actually. What hours do you do?

Original post by theJdog
Ah we might move in a months time, so yeah it would be for only 4 weeks that I would be working there :frown: It's such a short time. I don't mind going that early but my parents don't want me to travel too far from the new home for a long journey, when there is a WHSmith just down the road (like 10 minute walk), whereas it'll take more than 30 minutes by bus alone.

No I work in the north east, I am 18 and I am still getting paid less than you at £5.43! I only work 6.5 hours; I did loooads of overtime in the beginning, but since job cuts I haven't done any for ages and 6.5 hours is split between two shifts!

It's definitely a good idea to wait until you know for sure whether you're moving before you make a decision, but if you move I don't think there is much point in travelling all that way just for 7 hours work! You will end up spending most of your wage on travel!
Reply 44
Original post by LewPeet93
One of the worst places to work ever. Under 18s get £4.20 an hour. Slave labour

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's above NMW, I get £4. Think yourself lucky...
Reply 45
Original post by *Sierra*
No I work in the north east, I am 18 and I am still getting paid less than you at £5.43! I only work 6.5 hours; I did loooads of overtime in the beginning, but since job cuts I haven't done any for ages and 6.5 hours is split between two shifts!

It's definitely a good idea to wait until you know for sure whether you're moving before you make a decision, but if you move I don't think there is much point in travelling all that way just for 7 hours work! You will end up spending most of your wage on travel!

Exactly! Where we move, there's a WHS down the road, so it's kinda pointless travelling to the Heathrow one which would be more than a 30 minutes bus ride. And at the house I live in now, Heathrow is barely a 15 minutes/20 bus ride. What do you think I should tell them? I think the move is definite :s-smilie:
Reply 46
Original post by kmcg97
That's above NMW, I get £4. Think yourself lucky...

Really? How old are you may I ask?
Reply 47
Original post by theJdog
Ah right! I'm at Heathrow :biggrin: And wow, you've already had a job! This is my first job, let alone my first interview!! But I guess it went really well and I got the job! And I just wanted to ask, how small does a store have to be to be considered small? Like does it only have one floor, cell certain things (a bit like travel stores). I always get so confused!

Yeah I've already worked as a waitress, but I didn't get an interview for that as it was just a small coffee shop that didn't do interviews for some reason haha. I think to be considered small it means one floor and not a very big floor space? I'm not too sure, I think the one I'm bring interviewed for is considered small because it only has one floor that is the shop floor, the other floor is a stock floor I think? I'm not too sure haha. What is a travel store? Does that mean a store in airport, or something? Haha it's confusing I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
Original post by theJdog
Exactly! Where we move, there's a WHS down the road, so it's kinda pointless travelling to the Heathrow one which would be more than a 30 minutes bus ride. And at the house I live in now, Heathrow is barely a 15 minutes/20 bus ride. What do you think I should tell them? I think the move is definite :s-smilie:

You are only required to give a week's notice, (or at least this was the case for me) but if you are definitely moving it would be best to let your employer know straight away, even if this means not working at all, as it would prevent you having to explain not being able to get a positive reference from your past employer! I don't imagine your boss will be very happy with you working for three weeks then springing it on them that you're leaving, and perhaps they will let you work for the four weeks whilst they look for someone else :smile:
Reply 49
Original post by miz_sam
Yeah I've already worked as a waitress, but I didn't get an interview for that as it was just a small coffee shop that didn't do interviews for some reason haha. I think to be considered small it means one floor and not a very big floor space? I'm not too sure, I think the one I'm bring interviewed for is considered small because it only has one floor that is the shop floor, the other floor is a stock floor I think? I'm not too sure haha. What is a travel store? Does that mean a store in airport, or something? Haha it's confusing I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah right, well well done anyways! And oh right I get that. It does get a bit confusing, as many people call stores small when in fact they look huge! And yeah travel are basically convenient stores that are for people 'on the go'. So how are you preparing for it?
Reply 50
You are only required to give a week's notice, (or at least this was the case for me) but if you are definitely moving it would be best to let your employer know straight away, even if this means not working at all, as it would prevent you having to explain not being able to get a positive reference from your past employer! I don't imagine your boss will be very happy with you working for three weeks then springing it on them that you're leaving, and perhaps they will let you work for the four weeks whilst they look for someone else :smile:

Same here I think, about a week or 2. And yeah you're right. I have my induction coming up tomorrow, do you think that I should tell them then? Oh I feel really bad. Would they be mad at me? And do you think they will be able to transfer me elsewhere? Man, I have no clue what to do.
Reply 51
Hello everyone!

I have been working at WHSMITH for around 10 months now! I work in quite a big store and can remember having a few experiences when i started new. Feel free to ask any questions or advice if you want! and dont worry sometimes it just takes time to get used to new things especially the lottery! I made a mistake just last week :biggrin: In my defence the machine was messed up but some customers just dont listen :confused:
Reply 52
Original post by acer0951
Hello everyone!

I have been working at WHSMITH for around 10 months now! I work in quite a big store and can remember having a few experiences when i started new. Feel free to ask any questions or advice if you want! and dont worry sometimes it just takes time to get used to new things especially the lottery! I made a mistake just last week :biggrin: In my defence the machine was messed up but some customers just dont listen :confused:

Hey there! How are you? I've just recently joined and have my induction tomorrow. It is at Heathrow. I needed to ask something, if it wasn't too much to ask. I have heard from my parents that I might move house, and that it will be quite far away from where I will live (when I move), like more than 30 minutes bus ride (and I'll have to take two buses, or even the tube. And it will be in 4 weeks time roughly. Also, there is another store nearby to that new house that is just 10 minutes away. I might as well shift to that WHS, because it only makes sense. Currently, it takes only a 20 minutes bus ride (sometimes even less) and it's only one bus that's 24 hours non stop (as my shift is at 6 am and I have to reach there at 5:40 am). What do you think I should do?
Reply 53
Original post by theJdog
Ah right, well well done anyways! And oh right I get that. It does get a bit confusing, as many people call stores small when in fact they look huge! And yeah travel are basically convenient stores that are for people 'on the go'. So how are you preparing for it?

I'm just trying to think up good answers for questions that will generally be in any job interview, like how I would work in a team, how I would deal with a tricky customer, stuff like that that will probably be in it. And I'm looking into some of the companies history so that I know a few things about the company itself. I'm also practising taking change from ten and twenty pound notes and other basic maths stuff because I've heard that a some of that kind of stuff is in the interview. And I'm trying to figure out what would be best to wear to the interview :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
Original post by miz_sam
I'm just trying to think up good answers for questions that will generally be in any job interview, like how I would work in a team, how I would deal with a tricky customer, stuff like that that will probably be in it. And I'm looking into some of the companies history so that I know a few things about the company itself. I'm also practising taking change from ten and twenty pound notes and other basic maths stuff because I've heard that a some of that kind of stuff is in the interview. And I'm trying to figure out what would be best to wear to the interview :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What I wore is a blouse and trousers. Doesn't matter what colour tbh, as long as it is business wear. Basically, it should be the kind of things that you would wear to 6th form. No jeans, and make sure your trousers are clean, and are actually trousers. I remember someone was wearing chinos and a ragged t-shirt, basically something you would wear with your mates, not for a job. And it looked as if he wasn't really bothered or anything. So you should just try to wear something really business formal. If you're really stuck, just wear your school uniform with out the blazer/jumper (so white shirt, black trousers/skirt and nice polished shoes). You should really look like you've tried to look your best and everything. Because at my interview, the lady was like 'Oh, you guys really look nice and have really tried. I'm actually impressed. Many just don't bother.' So it's always good to make a great first impression. Don't think that you will look too formal, because trust me, I thought the same, but then when I went there I saw almost everyone wearing the same thing as me. I wore a white blouse, black trousers and a blazer on top as it was cold. And remember to know information about them, especially about the type of store you work at (e.g. hish street or travel). And about statistics like they sell 1.1 magazines on average, and 18000 an hour (I think that's right or roughly the same, I forgot now). It will actually help you if you know everything about WHS, as that will help you even when you get your job. E.g. they may ask you that the books place needs to be re-stocked, and the bottle section also needs to be re-stocked, and you can only do one at that moment as you need to go. What would you do? Basically I just this question up, but something similar will come up. Basically you should answer this based on the statistics, and how much loss would the store face without that object (which you would also face in the job too). So it would be obvious to go for the water one in the case of a travel store, because it is for 'on the go people' and travel stores are mostly last minute things or stuff for long journeys. Water would be best in this case as the customer is more likely to take water than a book. However, if this was for the high street, than probably the book thing would be the no. 1 priority as people mostly go to high street WHSmith stores to buy books than for a bottle of water. And you should also know the alphabet. And rare you absolutely certain that it is individual interviews? Because it could be, or it could also be group exercises. If it is a group one, then be friendly, say hi to them and ask them if they are nervous, and try to break the ice, especially whilst the recruitment people are around. And if it is an individual interview, then maybe you might be waiting in a waiting room or something with the others. If you are, then get to know the others there, because you might be working with them in the future. If you need any more help, just ask me :biggrin: How many other WHSmith stores did you apply for until you got this interview? Did you apply online?
Reply 55
Original post by theJdog
Same here I think, about a week or 2. And yeah you're right. I have my induction coming up tomorrow, do you think that I should tell them then? Oh I feel really bad. Would they be mad at me? And do you think they will be able to transfer me elsewhere? Man, I have no clue what to do.

I see no reason why they would be mad at you as it is a situation completely out of your control, although they may be a little frustrated that they have just gone to the effort of hiring someone who can no longer work for them. Ithink you should definitely tell them though, otherwise you are going to leave them in the lurch which is not only unprofessional but could make them less likely to give you a reference or even to give you a bad reference within the company... which I'm not sure if they can do but I know at other companies such as Next they give an employee a negative or positive label so that any other store would know whether to employ them or not. Make sure you stress you've only just found out and there's nothing you can do, and they have no reason to think of you badly at all. Like I said they might still let you work for a while anyway, especially if you have been completely honest with them. :smile:

About a transfer, the way my manager told me about it, it seems that it is not possible to simply transfer between stores. She told me that I would have to go through the recruitment process as normal, but that they would be much more likely to hire me and that it would really work in my favour that I had already worked for WHSmith. Also your manager could give the manager of the other store a personal reference for you, which would obviously help.
Reply 56
Original post by miz_sam
Thanks that was really helpful and informative. I'm pretty much certain that it is individual interviews as at school today I have found a few more people who have interviews for the same job at slightly different times to my interview, so I am pretty much sure it's separate interviews. I applied online and this is the first job I applied for at any WHSmith store at all, so I feel quite lucky to have gotten an interview first time :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh ok then, maybe it is an individual one.With individual ones, prepare certain questions that interviewers would ask (google it). And for groups, they are most likely going to talk about the history of WHS. Make sure when in one to one, talk about your experiences (e.g. organising skills - when I had to do C/A for school, I learnt to organise myself). They love that. You really need to do well in the Maths test though, because that will determine whether you are fit for the job.
Reply 57
I see no reason why they would be mad at you as it is a situation completely out of your control, although they may be a little frustrated that they have just gone to the effort of hiring someone who can no longer work for them. Ithink you should definitely tell them though, otherwise you are going to leave them in the lurch which is not only unprofessional but could make them less likely to give you a reference or even to give you a bad reference within the company... which I'm not sure if they can do but I know at other companies such as Next they give an employee a negative or positive label so that any other store would know whether to employ them or not. Make sure you stress you've only just found out and there's nothing you can do, and they have no reason to think of you badly at all. Like I said they might still let you work for a while anyway, especially if you have been completely honest with them. :smile:

About a transfer, the way my manager told me about it, it seems that it is not possible to simply transfer between stores. She told me that I would have to go through the recruitment process as normal, but that they would be much more likely to hire me and that it would really work in my favour that I had already worked for WHSmith. Also your manager could give the manager of the other store a personal reference for you, which would obviously help.

Oh alright then, I'll tell them tomorrow. Hopefully they can let me work for the 4 weeks and stuff. I would really love to work at WHS and it would be so saddening to quit it. And before I applied to all the other ones that I could go to, but only this one gave me an interview. And aw, I was really hoping to get a transfer. Oh well, maybe 4 weeks worth of work may get me a good reference :smile: Well, wish me luck for my induction tomorrow :biggrin:
Reply 58
Original post by j1997
Hi! I've just applied for a post online for a Saturday job at WH Smith, how likely do you think I am to get an interview? ( I am a 16 year old girl in year 12, with a years work experience in a cafe)

Hey how is it going? How's it like there? Can you believe it that a while ago, we were worrying about getting the call about the interview, and now we've started actually working there! :rolleyes:
Reply 59
I have my induction tomorrow from 9-6! I'm quite nervous because whilst I've had plenty of experience in customer service I've never worked on the tills before. Is it really difficult? I'm going to be on the lottery kiosk bit, any advice? What did your induction involve?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending