The Student Room Group

The Brand New WHSmith Thread MK2

Hey Guys! I decided to create a new WHSmith thread as the old one was kinda dead. So If you guys have any questions about working at WHSmith then ask away!
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi! How's it going?
I've recently started working at WHSmith, it's not bad at all except...the lottery machines. I keep getting it all mixed up, it's getting a bit embarrassing having to ask for help every time :colondollar:. Anyone kind enough to briefly explain how to go about it? Thanks :colondollar:
Reply 2
Original post by George (ina)
Hi! How's it going?
I've recently started working at WHSmith, it's not bad at all except...the lottery machines. I keep getting it all mixed up, it's getting a bit embarrassing having to ask for help every time :colondollar:. Anyone kind enough to briefly explain how to go about it? Thanks :colondollar:

Im good thanks! yourself? And I used to do work experience at WHSmith before, but that's about it :s-smilie: I've applied online and am waiting for my result! (sent my application to 23 WHSmith branches to be exact :tongue:). When I used to 'work' there, I remember that the till assistant would struggle with the lottery too, and she's been working there for almost two years :s-smilie: She was quite slow, and customer's used to get fed up and walk out, or complain to the other staff.
Reply 3
Do you have to do lottery through the terminal or the till? Doing it through our till is AWFUL as it goes soooooo slow!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by *Sierra*
Do you have to do lottery through the terminal or the till? Doing it through our till is AWFUL as it goes soooooo slow!

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do you exactly process the lottery through the till?
Reply 5
We have national lottery icons on our till, and they come out on the normal receipt paper, much to the dissatisfaction of most of the customers. We were told a few months ago to put them all through the till but we seen to have resorted back to using the terminal now... And it's even easier now we can scan the tickets through the till!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
We have national lottery icons on our till, and they come out on the normal receipt paper, much to the dissatisfaction of most of the customers. We were told a few months ago to put them all through the till but we seen to have resorted back to using the terminal now... And it's even easier now we can scan the tickets through the till!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ahh right! that's cool! what type of whsmith dyu work at? (e.g. high st, airport).
Reply 7
Original post by Ferrari Lexus
ahh right! that's cool! what type of whsmith dyu work at? (e.g. high st, airport).

I work in a hospital shop, what type do you work in? Also do you have fully working quick tills?! Our till goes reeeeeaaaalllly slow, gets stuck all of the time and is always at least 6 minutes behind time!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I work in a hospital shop, what type do you work in? Also do you have fully working quick tills?! Our till goes reeeeeaaaalllly slow, gets stuck all of the time and is always at least 6 minutes behind time!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah i go high street :smile: and no, i was on books, but my co worker was on tills, and it kept pricing items too high :s-smilie: instead of 9.55, it charged 10.67. it was either a glich with the till, or the lady was **** at operating it.
Reply 9
ah i go high street :smile: and no, i was on books, but my co worker was on tills, and it kept pricing items too high :s-smilie: instead of 9.55, it charged 10.67. it was either a glich with the till, or the lady was **** at operating it.

Ahh so have you had people having their hours cut and things or is that just the travel stores?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Also does anyone know what the situation is on being able to transfer to another shop when going to university?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im good thanks! yourself? And I used to do work experience at WHSmith before, but that's about it :s-smilie: I've applied online and am waiting for my result! (sent my application to 23 WHSmith branches to be exact :tongue:). When I used to 'work' there, I remember that the till assistant would struggle with the lottery too, and she's been working there for almost two years :s-smilie: She was quite slow, and customer's used to get fed up and walk out, or complain to the other staff.

I'm great, thanks! I sure do hope that you get a response soon. Did you enjoy the work experience?
The lottery stuff is quite confusing, everyone I've worked with so far has mentioned how it took them quite a while to get used to it :s-smilie:
Original post by George (ina)
I'm great, thanks! I sure do hope that you get a response soon. Did you enjoy the work experience?
The lottery stuff is quite confusing, everyone I've worked with so far has mentioned how it took them quite a while to get used to it :s-smilie:

ahh right. . . oh it may sound like im talking negatively of my co worker. i was actually trying to say that the lottery stuff is quite complicated, and customers failed to understand :frown: they are kinda inconsiderate. Hey, i wanted to ask, in ur whsmith, do they still display the driving books? or do they keep them away? in our store, they keep them in a drawer. And yes I did!! IT WAS AWESOME! i applied again to the same place! and thanks! i hope i get a response too! what whsmiths do u work at? (airport, high st)?
(edited 10 years ago)
Hey Guys! I decided to create a new WHSmith thread as the old one was kinda dead. So If you guys have any questions about working at WHSmith then ask away!

Hi! I've just started at WHSmith, and was wondering if you knew the cut off point for wages each month... or does that short if thing vary from store to store? Also do you know the rate of pay? Thanks!
Hi! I've just applied for a post online for a Saturday job at WH Smith, how likely do you think I am to get an interview? ( I am a 16 year old girl in year 12, with a years work experience in a cafe)
Ignore my previous post, I've been called today and have an interview on Wednesday! Does anyone know what the interviews like / anything they might ask? thanks!
Original post by theJdog
Is there anyone who can help? Thanks!
I have one next Thursday! I have no clue what it's like! What type of WHSmith are you applying for? Mine is at the airport :smile:

Good luck! mines a quite a small high street store! I applied on Saturday, and got called today for an interview on Wednesday! did the person tell you it would be in a group? the person I spoke to didn't say, they just said "an interview"
Original post by theJdog
Oh yh she rang me and told me it was a group. It was originally scheduled for Result's day, but then I told her and she was like 'Oh, I'm sure you don't wanna come in that day!' and I was like 'Yeah I'll be a mess!' And I think you might be a group? Did they say anything?

I'm kinda glad the interviews near results day, takes our mind off it! Good luck with yours by the way! No she just asked if I was still interested in the job and asked if I wanted to come down for a chat, and to just go into the store at 3.15 and ask for "_____" what else did your person tell you? I'm kinda worried now as I haven't prepared for a group interview as most of what I've read on here are one on ones.
Original post by theJdog
Ah no the interview was at 10, and that's when I had to collect them results, so I decided not to go. And good luck to you too! Oh and I think just prepare for both, like be all bubbly and friendly and like 'Hi'. Act perky, but not too much that you become annoying. And you'll probably do some speed dating thing where you get to know people. It looks really fun! And for one to one, just prepare for questions like - Why you wanna work here and stuff. And she actually gave me a lot of questions to answer, like I think it was a 30 minute convo. She was like what do you enjoy about WHSmiths, what is good customer service etc . . . Hopefully I get it! I really want it!!

Thank you! I'll just prepare for both :smile: Do you think they'll ask for my references at my interview tomorrow ? ( should I bring their details with me)
Original post by theJdog
YES!!! You should have at least 2 or 1 (1 if you haven't been employed or in education)! And the best of luck! Ace that! I think you should go over the history of WHSmith just in case. And go over maths, because they will test you probably!!!!!

Ok thanks! So they'll definitley ask for them tomorrow at the interview? I thought they only asked for them when they offered you the job? Good luck for yours too! I shall let you know tomorrow night what happens so you know what to expect :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending