The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Anyone heard of The Portland Hull?

Hi, I am an international student and going to Hull uni this sep13. I book an accommodation at the portland hull. And they havent sent me the contract which I have been asking for many times already. But if I ask other question they would reply but not the question about the contract. If u guys heard any news about this place pls let me know. I already paid my booking by 100 pounds.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Hi, yes the Portland is a hotel not student accommodation so I'm now sure how long you can stay for or if they would give you a contract. It is best to ring them up if you have done it all online
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 2
Www.theportlandhull.com They said they turn to student accommodation.. Im so confused.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tiffany2611
Hi, yes the Portland is a hotel not student accommodation so I'm now sure how long you can stay for or if they would give you a contract. It is best to ring them up if you have done it all online

That's not correct, The Portland Hotel is indeed private student accomodation http://www.theportlandhull.com/?gclid=CJXIvLGG-rgCFa7JtAodXjwA2w

Unfortunately I think you just need to keep trying to contact them until you get an answer.
Reply 4
It was a hotel but it is now student accommodation
Reply 5
Hi, I rang them up a few weeks ago after the uni got back to me on my accommodation and offered me a catered and shared bathroom halls when I wanted self catered and en suite.
The Portland used to be a hotel, just this year it was converted in to student accommodation, the prices range from £60-£90 per week depending on the size of the room you want, all are en suite. I thought this was a really good deal for a large en suite room, I was prepared to pay £120+ living at The Lawns or Taylor Court.
The contract that you're after is given 2 weeks prior to moving in, it said so in the email they send you after you paid the £100 booking fee, so if you have told them what day you're moving in and you still have over 2 weeks to go, don't worry, you'll get it then!
Reply 6
Original post by Kookkic
Hi, I am an international student and going to Hull uni this sep13. I book an accommodation at the portland hull. And they havent sent me the contract which I have been asking for many times already. But if I ask other question they would reply but not the question about the contract. If u guys heard any news about this place pls let me know. I already paid my booking by 100 pounds.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi! May I know how was your stay in Portland Hull last year? I am going to take a short term course in Hull and am in the process of finding a good accommodation now. Appreciate your help!
Reply 7
PLEASE DONT COME to The Portland!! It is a poorly managed accomodation, no wifi ( wifi breaks down instantly and not all the room has wifi). It's scary! no light everywhere, even fire exit, stairs, common room, 2 lights working out of 20. The staff is rude, always. Told them there is no wifi but they said they can't do anything and they never promise there is wifi in every room. Well, people stepped into your room at 1:30am ( student ambassador lending their key card to friends so they can find an empty room to have sex?). There is no one at the reception, lazy and don't care about anything. Investors who owned some of the rooms did not get their rental fees paid for 3 years and more as the company scammed them. DON'T COME ! They lied and cheated!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by bmshen
Hi! May I know how was your stay in Portland Hull last year? I am going to take a short term course in Hull and am in the process of finding a good accommodation now. Appreciate your help!

PLEASE DONT COME to portland ! It is a poorly managed accomodation, no wifi ( wifi breaks down instantly and not all the room has wifi). It's scary! no light everywhere, even fire exit, stairs, common room, 2 lights working out of 20. The staff is rude, always. Told them there is no wifi but they said they can't do anything. Well, people stepped into your room at 1:30am ( student ambassador lending their key card to friends so they can find an empty room to have sex?). There is no one at the reception, lazy and don't care about anything. Investors who owned some of the rooms did not get their rental fees paid for 3 years and more as the company scammed them.
people smoke in this building and trigger fire alarm at 2am! flooding in your toilet, curtain rack falling on you!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
PLEASE DONT COME! It is a poorly managed accomodation, no wifi in your room. It's scary! no light everywhere, even fire exit, stairs, common room, 2 lights working out of 20. Told them there is no wifi but they said they can't do anything and you won't get what you wany. Well, a student ambassador lending their key card to friends who don't stay in this building so they can find an empty room to have sex? Turned out they unlocked a female student's room at 2 am and claimed they located the wrong door. The manager did not penalise that 'student' ambassador, but he's not a student at all.
There is no one at the reception, lazy and don't care about anything. (common and prolonged phenomenon throughout)
20% of residents are students, the rest (unemployed/workers/ retired/couples...)

DON'T COME ! I swear to lord you will regret because it is a lie!
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi Guys
are all students residing in this building attending Hull Uni?? It seems a little far off campus and just wondered as I am looking at accommodation for my daughter? Are the rooms as they look on the internet, does everything work and is the building safe??? Are their other occupants in the property that do not attend Hull Uni?? Any help would be appreciated #cautiousmum
Reply 11
Don't worry, my friend never got her contract even she left Portland. The manager did not even ask her to pay rent but of course she is a honest person she pay every month.
Original post by Kookkic

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Just to alert everyone, don'tcome to P0rtland in Hull. This place is crappy and full of nonsense. Promisedto be a student accommodation and only for long-term contract, and after movingin it became a place with people who are mature adults (working), barattendants, and some residents worked as student ambassador to petrol? act assecuirty guards???Seriously, got massive broke in during christmas sincethere's no security guard all the time. No professional secuirty guard is employed (to save money but they did not reduce your rent?)No improvements and a place full oflies, no wifi,noisy(until 3am, latest record),dirty, smelly(No one clean the building, try open the microwave, leftover food inside)... 9/10 people move out within 3 months. Lazymanager who has holidays during working hours, not sorting out problems, andyou may not get your deposits back . Just had a friend sent an email to theirdirector to get her deposit as the manager refuses to help. Almost contactedthe media to raise awareness of how notorious this place is. You get poor/basically no network and don't think of doing work in this place. Sat at the door to checkyour emails, perhaps. Do your laundry behind the garbage city council giganticyellow bin x10 align in a straight line. Wash your clothes with themachines shared with the restaurant next door. Not sure what the restaurantwashes but probably kitchen wipes, table cover.. and you will have no choicebut to put your clothes in the same machine. Expensive laundry fees, 4 quit fordrying + washing, bring your own washing 'detergent please. Dont be surprisedif you found a barbeque sauce across the floor and in the lift. Chips can befound inside the lift, pizza boxes and Tesco trolleys at fire exits. Thehighest record of Tesco Trolley in this place was 30? They are the back gateand next to the rubbish dump mountain. Fire authority came to send warnings butsurely irresponsible people will not stopping stealing Trolleys at all times. The curtain rack in the bathroom fell on my friend when she's bathing.

Don't be faked by the outline ofthe place, try to visit the kitchens in each floor, a flush of rotten dead shxtsensation is ready to overwhelm you. Unwashed pots, utensils are locatedanywhere at anytime, just like Mcdonald's. And hey!don't leave anything insideyour room including yourself cause the resident/secuirty (interchangeable) hasa card to get into your room at anytime! Yes, even at midnight. You are paying99-120 quit a week and your building is not secured and covered with internet.There's people who don't pay rents for many months and still smiling. Don'tconsider, I am sure you will regret it for life.

Just a quick note, my friend never get her contract even she has left the country, and people who don't pay rent all the time, this place has no discipline and poorly organised.
[[[[��ӧ��

Original post by LauraSmith123
Hi Guys
are all students residing in this building attending Hull Uni?? It seems a little far off campus and just wondered as I am looking at accommodation for my daughter? Are the rooms as they look on the internet, does everything work and is the building safe??? Are their other occupants in the property that do not attend Hull Uni?? Any help would be appreciated #cautiousmum
Reply 13
Currently living in The Portland and we have no water at the minute (fourth time since October). There's frequent fire alarms (not drills, they just go off whenever they please), two breakins that I'm aware of since November, staff are completely useless and rude, wifi is okay, not clean, not secured whatsoever, lights don't work, the rooms are absolutely freezing, fire at 3am because someone put their fag in the bin, rat and pigeon in the lounge and if you want something doing just do it yourself. Honestly, I wish I was joking about all of this but I'm really not. Every single one of those things have happened in the space of 4 months. This place terrifies me, I wouldn't let your kids move here, it's incredibly dangerous.

Quick Reply

Latest