The Student Room Group

Get SORN first or cancel car insurance?

Hi,

I've got the MOT done. But financially, still struggling. My Road tax notification came in and also got an insurance renewal reminder. Road tax expires on 31.8.2013 and car insurance on 3.9.2013

I want to get the car off the road so intend to go down the SORN route.

Do I cancel my insurance first? Then get the SORN or vice versa or does it not matter which way I go first?

Secondly, if I cancel my insurance, any likelihood I might get some cash back if they pro-rata the insurance for the year?

Thank you.
You won't get any money back in the last month... My advice would be to SORN it first and then declare it SORNed to your insurer. SORN insurance is pretty cheap I think?
Reply 2
Original post by shaymarriott
You won't get any money back in the last month... My advice would be to SORN it first and then declare it SORNed to your insurer. SORN insurance is pretty cheap I think?

You don't need to insure a car if it's SORNed.
You only need insurance if the car's on the road. Which it can't be if it's SORNed.
Reply 3
If I was to complete the SORN online, how long does it take to be formalised? Any chance I'd be able to do that and cancel my insurance a few days before expiration so I could drive if needed?
Reply 4
The SORN comes into effect as soon as you apply.
However It'll probably take a couple of days for the system to update.
Reply 5
Original post by Camoxide
The SORN comes into effect as soon as you apply.
However It'll probably take a couple of days for the system to update.

Thanks.

On the letter it says it's got to be done 15 days prior the expiration, that pretty much accurate? I think you can tax up to the expiry date but maybe SORN is different?

Wanted to ideally leave it till a week before expiration incase my financial prospects improved.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending