The Student Room Group

Will cardiac problems stop me becoming a nurse?

Hi, I am starting an Access to HE (Nursing) Diploma in September and hopefully will continue onto uni next year to study children's nursing. I had an acute collapse about 5 years ago and ended up on a coronary care unit for about 6 months, my health has been fine for the last 2 years but i have recently been experiencing left sided chest pain at rest. I ended up at A&E tonight and obs on arriving were HR 133 BP 199/126 SPo2 95. I have been discharged tonight with instructions to go back in the morning to see a consultant. I'm now wondering if this will stop me being offered a uni place as i know your GP has to fill in a health questionnaire before you can start. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
I would strongly advise you to talk to
A) a doctor who is involved with your care to see if they think you are fit
B) relevant universities to get their take on it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I'm sorry to hear you're not well.

It rather depends on how this episode goes. You'll probably be asked to see the Occupational Health department of the university or hospital you'll be training with, and they'll want to know how fit you are to carry out the duties of a nurse. If you're able to work, and you're able to convey that to OH, then you'll be OK.

I've been through the Occupational Health wringer myself (junior doctor, I'm partially deaf and have Lupus) so feel free to message me if you have questions. I really hope you're feeling better soon!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending