The Student Room Group

Is self-deprecating humour attractive or pitiful?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Id and Ego seek
You think it's humour but it's actually a low key cry for help.

Original post by Moura
tbh i find it funny but it will end up with me considering a guy just as a friend rather than a love-interest. it's supposed to show modesty and "i'm so confident i can take the piss out of myself" traits... but in fact it is just deep rooted in insecurity... which i do not find attractive

Original post by lalalaliv
I think it's normally funny, I like people who don't take themselves too seriously and can take the mick out of themselves.

It seems like a contradiction in itself, anyway. If self-deprecating humour comes across as pitiful then is it really still humour, or just someone seriously putting themselves down in a casual way? I suppose it's all down to the degree in which you deprecate yourself and how jokey you come across.

I do it quite often but only lightly. It just makes me feel better about myself when I make little mistakes. It's almost as if, if I'm the first person to call myself out on doing something silly then I'm not worried what other people may say about me.

Where do you draw the line then? Is it funny if it's something everyone would be a bit self-deprecating with, a universal situation? It';s OK to poke fun at your insecurities sometimes isn't it? Better that than to wallow in them
Self-deprecating humour is the go to, especially when we first meet someone. There is very little else we can joke about. When you first meet someone you have no idea what kind of jokes they will be offended by so you can't leap straight into the rape jokes and you can't make jokes at their expense, so you're left with self-deprecation and it helps to put everyone at ease with the situation.

I blame a lifetime of watching Woody Allen films for my overuse of self-deprecation.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by Birkenhead
It's inherent to the nature of self-deprecating humour that someone puts themselves down. The key is detecting, as much in tone as content, whether it is founded on a genuine or pretend opinion of oneself.

Yes, by syntax. But funny self-deprecating humour isn't genuinely self-humiliating like most people play it as.
It makes people laugh a lot when I joke about myself. When I got drunk once I described my wodger as "suprisingly satisfactory" (when someone asked me if I had a chode) and the timing of it just brought the house down. Can't imagine it would help me get a girlfriend though!
Original post by Autistic Merit
It makes people laugh a lot when I joke about myself. When I got drunk once I described my wodger as "suprisingly satisfactory" (when someone asked me if I had a chode) and the timing of it just brought the house down. Can't imagine it would help me get a girlfriend though!

Mate to be fair that is hilarious
Attraction for me, would be more towards a guy that's self-depreciating than a bloke that's full of himself. But I wouldn't say no to a balanced sense of humour. Too much of anything is hardly good.
Reply 26
Original post by Riku
Where do you draw the line then? Is it funny if it's something everyone would be a bit self-deprecating with, a universal situation?

I think if anything it would be funnier if it was a universal situation because it's more relate-able but then by default has the ability to be more offensive to a large group of people.

It's like Family Guy for instance, I know next to nothing about jewish people but I still find the jewish jokes quite funny when armed with the knowledge that most of the writers themselves are jewish because the self-deprecation is very apparent there.

Original post by Riku
It';s OK to poke fun at your insecurities sometimes isn't it? Better that than to wallow in them

Yes! Totally agree with this.
Reply 27
I didn't say it was self-humiliating, but it is self-deprecating, obviously. Though if you consider a passing and clearly humourous negative comment about yourself to be 'humiliating' you may be suffering have an oversized ego.

Oh, I only meant it's bad when what you say is more than a quick and small poke at yourself like most people I run into seem to make. They take it way overboard because it's an easy and safe form of humour in terms of getting a response.
Do the exact opposite of whatever the malcreants on those body building forums advise and you won't go far wrong in life.

What an awfully misguided and presumptious thing to say. There are many nutritionalists and other healthcare scientists who post on BB with PhDs and otherwise educated and enlightened people.

Can you not see past the banter? :biggrin:
Reply 29
If one can't laugh at themselves what can they laugh at?
Self-deprecating humor is a great way to get yourself friend-zoned - I should know, i'm the king of it.
Could you link me to one of this mysterious group's posts? I haven't seen them. Besides, I didn't say that there were no educated people on there, I said that doing the opposite of what they suggest is probably a good idea. It's also pretty rank in its discussion of sex and women.

No, but you said doing the opposite of what people advise on the site will get you far, implying(and don't deny it) that they're somewhat misguided, when in fact they are out in the interest of helping those with a conscious mind for wellbeing and self improvement as a self interest or career inspiration. Like the above poster said, take it with a shovel of salt. They're mostly good people and I dislike that you're disparraging such a diverse group of people who have a productive and possitive common interest.
Original post by YorkshireKid
Self-deprecating humor is a great way to get yourself friend-zoned - I should know, i'm the king of it.

So what sort of humour is best used instead?
I find I'm funniest at making fun of other peoples flaws, not my own.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
You are drastically confusing intention and result. Wanting to co-operate in a mutual effort of self-improvement doesn't preclude them from being misguided, or complete morons, for that matter, which they are. I didn't say they weren't good people, I said that doing the opposite of what they suggested, because I think most of what is posted on that website is a load of crap, will yield better results than doing it.

Just to be clear, then - when you said there are educated people on that forum, you were bull****ting?

Nope I don't think he was. If we were to stereotype, BB's separated into 3 categories: Teen Bodybuilders (who will ask the usual rookie questions like 'is this a good diet', the Misc which is mostly full of trolls/banter and is similar to Reddit or 4Chan as a popular Internet board for lulz-and then the rest who range somewhere from grown person with a casual interest in body-building to certified PhD and pro trainers/athletes/dieticians.

Please don't assume that everyone who lifts is a knucklehead :smile:
Reply 35
You don't think he was failing to distinguish between the intention of people there and the result? His defence of them was based on the fact that they intend to help people, which I didn't deny. What I said was that the stuff they say and the results they're likely to produce is not the same as any noble intentions they might have.

I've yet to see any evidence of phds on BB, but I was only speaking from my experience of that forum, where everything I've ever read has either been mind-numbingly stupid or just revolting.

You're the one assuming that my opinion of that particular body building forum was based on the fact that most of its membership lifts. It wasn't, it was based on the sorts of stuff that is said there.

OK sorry. Well to be honest some of the users on the Fitness forum represent the same kind of bloated testosterone-fuelled ego that the stereotype feeds off. Of course some people are like that on BB too, you get that from all walks of life. But some in both are wise, insightful or even uplifting :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending