The Student Room Group

Speakers for University

I'm looking for a good set of speakers to put in my room for university that can connect to my laptop and my phone, I have a budget of up to £300 to spend, any suggestions?
Original post by gary94
I'm looking for a good set of speakers to put in my room for university that can connect to my laptop and my phone, I have a budget of up to £300 to spend, any suggestions?

What will you be using them for most?
Reply 2
TV off of my laptop and listening to music
Reply 3
Does your laptop have bluetooth, or do you have a preference for a system that you can dock your phone in? Also, is it important to you to be able to seperate the speakers for a good stereo effect, or are you after surround speakers?
Reply 4
Seems like a pretty good budget to me. I'm not going to say much more than vague details but I have a setup which I think is perfectly good for uni uses. Pair of speakers, amp, cables. OP could probably do something similar; two speakers, cables, amp, DAC with at least an optical in, usb sounds like a good idea too. I'm thinking of doing something similar myself. Adding a DAC, though just an optical in would do.
Reply 5
I'd say keep it simple to start with. Get yourself a nice set of speakers and an amp (plus cables of course). DAC and other stuff could then be added on later if you want to upgrade the setup. Buying too much on a low budget means you may just end up chucking the original equipment when it's upgrade time, which clearly isn't particularly efficient.

Anyway. With £300 you could grab yourself a pair of these, leaving about £150-180 for an amp. The latter is a bit more about personal preference since different amps have different features - you can get basic ones with just line in, or go for something a bit more advanced with DAB, optical in, Internet radio and other goodies if you'd like to add a bit more versatility. I'd suggest having a browse through on What Hi-Fi and see if there's anything you like there.

And don't forget your cables. :smile: As a rule of thumb you should spend 1/10th of your budget on those to avoid quality degradation. Make sure you've also got the right connectors (bare wire, banana plug, or spades) for your amp/speaker set. The speaker cables are the most important you'll buy. :yep: Finally you'll need to sort out cables to connect up your TV/laptop, which will depend on which amp you get and the connections on your devices. If you can then opt for digital optical/coax connections: if your amp includes a DAC it's likely to be a lot better than the one in your TV or laptop. :smile:
Original post by Dez
Anyway. With £300 you could grab yourself a pair of these, leaving about £150-180 for an amp.

+1 for the 9.1s, I use them myself and they're fantastic. Can't wait to move them down to Brighton :moon:
Reply 7
Original post by Dez
I'd say keep it simple to start with. Get yourself a nice set of speakers and an amp (plus cables of course). DAC and other stuff could then be added on later if you want to upgrade the setup. Buying too much on a low budget means you may just end up chucking the original equipment when it's upgrade time, which clearly isn't particularly efficient.

Anyway. With £300 you could grab yourself a pair of these, leaving about £150-180 for an amp. The latter is a bit more about personal preference since different amps have different features - you can get basic ones with just line in, or go for something a bit more advanced with DAB, optical in, Internet radio and other goodies if you'd like to add a bit more versatility. I'd suggest having a browse through on What Hi-Fi and see if there's anything you like there.

And don't forget your cables. :smile: As a rule of thumb you should spend 1/10th of your budget on those to avoid quality degradation. Make sure you've also got the right connectors (bare wire, banana plug, or spades) for your amp/speaker set. The speaker cables are the most important you'll buy. :yep: Finally you'll need to sort out cables to connect up your TV/laptop, which will depend on which amp you get and the connections on your devices. If you can then opt for digital optical/coax connections: if your amp includes a DAC it's likely to be a lot better than the one in your TV or laptop. :smile:

They still sell 9.1s? I wish I'd known when I got my speakers. Couldn't find them anywhere. Although that might have been at the price I was willing to pay. Can't quite remember.

Edit: On that note, not to butt into OP's thread but I want to add a DAC to my set up for as cheap as possible. Currently it's computer - 3.5mm to phono cable - amp - speaker cable - speakers. What would do the job? Are headphone DACs any good? I was thinking of using an optical spdif cable between the computer (mobo) and DAC.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Thanks for the replies guys, however it all sounds very complicated - all I want to be able to do is be able to play music off of my speakers via bluetooth on my phone and then plug them in or keep it wireless to watch shows off of my laptop, any suggestions for speakers like that?
Reply 9
I'd have a look at the Bose SoundLink Wireless Portable Speaker II. My wife has one of these and it's gorgeous.

You might also want to look at the Jawbone JamBox or the Philips ShoqBox. The good thing about all these is they can be charged up and are portable, so you can take the speaker out with you and listen anywhere. All these options let you connect devices up by Bluetooth or the 3.5mm socket.
Original post by gary94
Thanks for the replies guys, however it all sounds very complicated - all I want to be able to do is be able to play music off of my speakers via bluetooth on my phone and then plug them in or keep it wireless to watch shows off of my laptop, any suggestions for speakers like that?

For a one-stop option, I'd go for these. Very well received from most of the audiophile sources I've read.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending