The Student Room Group

What are your Favourite and Least Favourite Football Grounds?

title says it all

for me-

Favourite

Wembley
Old Trafford
Craven Cottage
City of Manchester Stadium
Elland Road

Least Favourite
DW Stadium
Turf Moor
London Road
Glandford Park.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by hbk4894
title says it all

for me-

Favourite

Wembley
Old Trafford
Craven Cottage
City of Manchester Stadium
Elland Road

Least Favourite
DW Stadium
Turf Moor
London Road
Glandford Park.

Peterborough were voted the best away day twice in a row in the Championship. I take it you're not a fan of terracing?
Reply 2
Underhill (Barnet) was absolutely awful. The Nou Camp, conversely, was extraordinary - even if my memories may have been lent a bit of extra nostalgia by the fact that Messi scored his first ever Barcelona goal at the game I went to see.
If I can rate the grounds I've been to into good and bad:

Good
Carrow Road
Boleyn Ground
Goodison Park
Loftus Road
Craven Cottage
Old Trafford
Elland Road
Underhill
Broadhall Way
County Ground

Bad
Britannia
DW
Wembley
Stadium MK
Vicarage Road

If Highbury still existed it'd be my favourite by a mile.
(edited 10 years ago)
Favourite(s) -

Anfield (Liverpool) - Only been a couple of times, but a great place. A real older ground with character, and 'Youll Never Walk Alone' makes my hairs stand up, even as an away fan.

Glanford Park (Scunthorpe) - Everything you want in an away game. Close parking, ground is in the middle of loads of takeaways, nice old ground again with character and the view is actually decent (behind the goal).

Least favourite -

Selhurst Park (Palace) - It's in the middle of nowhere, have to get a train out, and the view is restricted, especially when people stand. I've been to Millwall more times than I've been too Palace!
(edited 10 years ago)
Favourites:

Estadio Santiago Bernabéu. Wow, what a ground. Stood up in tier four an hour before kickoff watching the excitement build up and up, knockout stages of the UEFA Champions League. 85,400 fans filing in for the most hyped game in a long, long time ... it's one hell of an impressive ground on a major showcase European night. Absolutely breathtaking.

Craven Cottage. Everything a proper English football ground should be, it's got a certain charm to it that all these identikit modern bowls just can't replicate. Love the way it looks like a row of houses where you go into the away end, the old fashioned roof, and the cottage in the corner. Plus the fact it's right by the river and there's a couple of decent pubs nearby. And we always take over the neutral section so the atmosphere is buzzing with 5,000 of us in there.

Goodison Park. Another one that fits into the proper old-school football ground category, there's just so much to like. The rickety wooden floor in the away stand and wooden seats, the built up narrow streets around the outside of the ground, and uncomfortably narrow concourse which bottlenecks you in against the wall, and the ability to move freely between the upper and lower tier. The church peering through the corner of the ground, and the lovely Victorian truss on the roof - although it is a nuisance when it blocks your view if you're right at the top. I ended up moving down a few rows last time.

Least favourites:

Wembley. I've had some good days out there and the ground may look impressive but that's about it. For football supporters this is an awful ground, one where sitting down and shutting up are the order of the day even more so than any league ground. One that attracts throngs of people who wouldn't know a crossbar from a wine bar, one that attracts a clientele who are more interested in being seen by their friends and colleagues to be attending a football match than they are in seeing the game themselves. A ground that overprices everything, makes the tickets so large you can't fit them in your wallet, and employs stewards that are for the most part overzealous and power-happy. Although I personally found them alright this past time, not everyone was as lucky. I know people who walked out of the Charity Shield 30 minutes into the game and went to the pub instead because they were sick to death of the appalling atmosphere, the soulless ground and the obnoxious staff. One of the most vapid national stadiums on Earth.

I can't really say I hate anywhere else as much as Wembley. The other grounds that I'm not a fan of aren't egregiously bad, they're just sort of there. The Reebok Stadium or the JJB Stadium, for instance, because of their generic builds and boring atmospheres. Nothing about them stands out at all or adds any value to the matchday experience. Then you have your larger new build grounds that look impressive but have absolutely no character - such as Amsterdam Arena or The Emirates. I don't hate them, I just find them a little dull and uninspiring.
Reply 6
The Allianz is the best in my opinion. Of those I've been to though, the Emirates is a nice place and I've got a soft spot for our own Goodison Park. It's crap but lovely.

Worst is Craven Cottage.
Reply 7
Favourite:

Highbury: Elegant, classy and very stylish. A beautiful ground inside and out. Lots of character as well from the rows of victorian houses that completely surrounded it to the old guy who used to stand outside the marble halls to open the door for you.

Loftus Road:: Rough and ready as they come but all the seats are very close to the pitch making for some unbelievable atmospheres. Lots of great little pubs dotted around the joint and the the club's fan base are very very locally sourced.

Craven Cottage:: Much like Highburt, very traditional and classy.Lovely location by the river and lots of nostalgic touches like wooden seats on the John Hayes(I think...) stand and the little cottage itself on the corner. No atmosphere unfortunately, almost feels like a tennis match.

Elland Road:: Unbelievable atmosphere when I was there, credit to the LUFC fanbase really. Nice and traditional as well.

Croke Park:: Absolutely stunning stadium imo with more history than an other stadium I can think of. Atmosphere was flat as apparently 'soccer' isnt half as good as for the GAA. Unbelievable pubs locally though.

-------

Worst:

Wembley: Soulless, bowl of a stadium full of day trippers and violent toerags from Millwall/Stoke etc coming to watch 'Eng-er-land'. Obviously impressive in scale but meh. Wembley is such a ****hole of an area as well.

White Hart Lane:: Nothing going for it tbh. Ugly, plastic stadium in arguably the worst part of London. Havent been in nearly 10 years but the atmosphere was flat as a pancake as well, esp for a NLD. Notice how little nostalgia there is from Spurs fans over leaving for a new stadium?

The Valley:: Still not sure where the **** Charlton is even after having been to the ground. Lost somewhere in the nothingness of South London suburbia, no good pubs either. Ugly,nondescript, forgettable and no atmosphere.

Emirates:: Painful to say it but for the money it cost, we should have got a better looking stadium. Impressive in scale but in little else. Atmosphere normally very poor for various reasons and corporate seats have been given absolute priority. Good points: Excellent pubs in the area and great transport links to central London.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zürich

White Hart Lane:: Nothing going for it tbh. Ugly, plastic stadium in arguably the worst part of London. Havent been in nearly 10 years but the atmosphere was flat as a pancake as well, esp for a NLD. Notice how little nostalgia there is from Spurs fans over leaving for a new stadium?

*steps up and knocks chip off shoulder*

I straight up don't want us to move. The atmosphere is **** now but I love your example from 10 years ago :lol:

Our ground is beautiful though. Traditional, not having moved from its site since 1899 and being renovated with the times. Square and not a bowl. Full of little bits of club traditions a Gooner wouldn't look twice at.

Pubs nonexistent though. I usually drink in Goonerville before games: Brownswood, Jolly Butchers, Faltering Fullback, Pembury Tavern among others. Even pre-drank once in the Bree Louise as Euston's good for the Victoria line up.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by rockrunride
*steps up and knocks chip off shoulder*

I straight up don't want us to move. The atmosphere is **** now but I love your example from 10 years ago :lol:

Our ground is beautiful though. Traditional, not having moved from its site since 1899 and being renovated with the times. Square and not a bowl. Full of little bits of club traditions a Gooner wouldn't look twice at.

Pubs nonexistent though. I usually drink in Goonerville before games: Brownswood, Jolly Butchers, Faltering Fullback, Pembury Tavern among others. Even pre-drank once in the Bree Louise as Euston's good for the Victoria line up.

In fairness mate, I dont think its a terrible ground but as I havent been to that many away grounds, I was trying to divide them more evenly between good/bad and needless to say Spurs lost that battle. :smile:

Time I went was 1-1 I'm fairly sure, remember you lot got a last second equilizer and that Pires scored(who else!). Probably nothing wrong with the atmosphere tbf just didnt particularly enjoy the game as it was my first away at age 10ish so it all felt a bit foreign and aggressive. Still, more charm than the Emirates has for sure and your new planned gaff looks nicer too :angry:

Having said that, if you compare WHL to Highbury though there is no contest in terms of architectural beauty. On the one hadn youve got Marble halls and 360 degree art deco style in a respectable middle class victorian area and then youve got some kind of gold rooster thingy surrounded by burning chicken cottages :wink:

Yea the pubs around N5 are actually very very good. Pubs get a bit too 'trendy'/overpriced as you head towards Angel or Crouch End but youve got some really nice old fashioned ones like the Castle/Mother Redcap on Holloway Rd or the Crown/Gunners/Tollington nearer the ground. Not that there arent some truly horrific boozers in the area of course(hello the Blackstock!) Bree Louise and the Fullback are both excellent pubs though, but quite far out obviously. Nothing beats rushing that last pint at 2:50 to calm the pre match nerves!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
My favourite is obviously Goodison and my least favourite is definitely the Reebok Stadium.
Reply 11
Best - Villa Park.

Worst - Edgeley Park.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Barksy
Peterborough were voted the best away day twice in a row in the Championship. I take it you're not a fan of terracing?

really , i havent heard that and not really i think i would prefer the option to have a seat.
Reply 13
Original post by Zürich

Nah, can't agree with that. Obviously my view of atmosphere is skewed by the fact I only ever go for the NLD, but there's nothing wrong with WHL as a football ground barring transport links. Decent size, retains noise and most importantly tight on the pitch. I appreciate you haven't been to many, but when you go round the country to proper ****holes like Wigan and Hull, you'll know what a bad away ground is all about. It's more about the occasion than the ground, but I'd give up a ticket to any other game to go there.
Reply 14
Best - Nou Camp - Absolutely sensational ground even though it looks old but sitting right up at the top makes a perfect viewing of the ground and the skyline around the stadium, crowd atmosphere is also amazing.

Worst - Wembley - Too modern, nothing special about it/
Best-The New Den, Great atmosphere and you'r very close to the action + a train station right beside the ground for the away fans..

Worst-The AMEX, From the outside it looks impresive but once your in their it seems quite small. No atmophere and over 10,000 fans sharing the train station.
Reply 16
Only been to four: Celtic Park, Cappielow (local team Greenock Morton), The Boleyn Ground (although I've not attended a match yet!) and Hampden.

Hampden was the worst, something not very appealing about it. Celtic Park is probably the best. For 60,000+ capacity, it still feels really nice, not been for a couple of years though. Cappielow has a great pitch, but some disloyal fans and The Boleyn Ground is like a fortress just looking at it!
Original post by Beatlemania
Favourite(s) -

Glanford Park (Scunthorpe) - Everything you want in an away game. Close parking, ground is in the middle of loads of takeaways, nice old ground again with character and the view is actually decent (behind the goal).

Good call, I enjoyed the one game I've seen there. Although we were in the corner not behind the goal (might be because it was a few years ago/in the League Cup).

Also loved going to the Valley. Never went anywhere else around the ground but it was always beautiful inside.

Worst would probably be Priestfield (Gillingham) not too much character and still have one stand as scaffolding.
Reply 18
Original post by Zürich
Favourite:

Highbury: Elegant, classy and very stylish. A beautiful ground inside and out. Lots of character as well from the rows of victorian houses that completely surrounded it to the old guy who used to stand outside the marble halls to open the door for you.

Loftus Road:: Rough and ready as they come but all the seats are very close to the pitch making for some unbelievable atmospheres. Lots of great little pubs dotted around the joint and the the club's fan base are very very locally sourced.

Craven Cottage:: Much like Highburt, very traditional and classy.Lovely location by the river and lots of nostalgic touches like wooden seats on the John Hayes(I think...) stand and the little cottage itself on the corner. No atmosphere unfortunately, almost feels like a tennis match.

Elland Road:: Unbelievable atmosphere when I was there, credit to the LUFC fanbase really. Nice and traditional as well.

Croke Park:: Absolutely stunning stadium imo with more history than an other stadium I can think of. Atmosphere was flat as apparently 'soccer' isnt half as good as for the GAA. Unbelievable pubs locally though.

-------

Worst:

Wembley: Soulless, bowl of a stadium full of day trippers and violent toerags from Millwall/Stoke etc coming to watch 'Eng-er-land'. Obviously impressive in scale but meh. Wembley is such a ****hole of an area as well.

The Valley:: Still not sure where the **** Charlton is even after having been to the ground. Lost somewhere in the nothingness of South London suburbia, no good pubs either. Ugly,nondescript, forgettable and no atmosphere.

Emirates:: Painful to say it but for the money it cost, we should have got a better looking stadium. Impressive in scale but in little else. Atmosphere normally very poor for various reasons and corporate seats have been given absolute priority. Good points: Excellent pubs in the area and great transport links to central London.

Was he called Paddy?
Original post by Fusion
Was he called Paddy?

no idea, he used to wear a very formal uniform, like something from the Ritz, and treated you as if you were a player when you came to the door though. thats all i remember

there used to be a famous kitman called Paddy Galligan though?
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest