The Student Room Group

If I get AAC, will I still be let in (AAB offer) ?

Just wondering, because I am nervous about my Biology grade which will be a hit or miss for a B.

Chem and Maths I'm feeling confident about the A's, it's just that it seems unusual to let someone in with a C, particularly a good uni like Reading, so I was wondering....... :colondollar:

Has anyone been in something similar where they got a C in one subject and got let in?

Cheers guys!

Scroll to see replies

No-one can say. It most likely depends on how many other students met their grades, and how many students are taking up their insurance offer. AAC is considered equivalent to ABB in terms of government funding, so the university won't get fined for accepting you if the course is full, but they also have other logistical issues to consider, so it is possible that you may lose out.
If your C is close to the B boarder and they reject you try calling them and explaining the narrow miss. They might let you in anyway :smile:
Original post by cfhurley
If your C is close to the B boarder and they reject you try calling them and explaining the narrow miss. They might let you in anyway :smile:

Pretty sure once they reject you theres no point in calling. But if they did get AAC and track hadn't updated then yes, call them!
Worrying about if I get ABB for an AAB offer :confused:
Reply 5
Hey :smile: It feels like we're in the same boat OP! I applied too to Reading and my offer is ABB but no way could I get a B in English, so my aim was to achieve AAC. I guess it's the equivalent in terms of ucas points and such, and i spoke to the head of my department and he said that they would still accept you depending on how many people have gotten ABB. So I've got my fingers crossed that they'll still allow us! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
What course are you doing? I'm about to go into my second year at Reading, but when I got my A-level results I ended up with A*BB instead of AAB, which was my offer. I was accepted regardless, (I studying Accountancy at Henley Business School). It all depends on course popularity and how well you do in comparison to other students. If you have a strong personal statement and references, you still stand a good chance to get accepted, even if you miss it by one grade. Good luck!
Reply 7
In a similar boat here! Think I may have had a howler on the day of the paper! Fingers crossed!
Reply 8
Original post by James A
Just wondering, because I am nervous about my Biology grade which will be a hit or miss for a B.

Chem and Maths I'm feeling confident about the A's, it's just that it seems unusual to let someone in with a C, particularly a good uni like Reading, so I was wondering....... :colondollar:

Has anyone been in something similar where they got a C in one subject and got let in?

Cheers guys!

Depends on the course and uni to be honest
Reply 9
I do Maths, Physics and Chemistry (all with Edexcel) and I am offered AAB (for Aerospace Engineering by The University of Sheffield) and I know for a fact that I wont get a B grade in chemistry (not allowed to re-sit my AS exams for chemistry). Say, by some miracle, that I get A*A C in Maths, Physics and Chemistry respectively, will the university still give me an unconditional offer as it is equivalent to AAB?
Reply 10
It depends. UCL said usually it would be a definite no if you missed your grades, but now they'll look at your UMS for close misses, whereas Cardiff said they usually allow people in with a grade lower.. Depends on your university, you should ask on an open day or via email

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by GeogBerry
It depends. UCL said usually it would be a definite no if you missed your grades, but now they'll look at your UMS for close misses, whereas Cardiff said they usually allow people in with a grade lower.. Depends on your university, you should ask on an open day or via email

Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied to The University of Sheffield for Aerospace Engineering (BEng with a year in industry) and I emailed them on Friday but they still haven't replied (they should be closed on weekends?).
Reply 12
Original post by Wise Fool
I applied to The University of Sheffield for Aerospace Engineering (BEng with a year in industry) and I emailed them on Friday but they still haven't replied (they should be closed on weekends?).

Again, that depends on the university. It's definitely more likely they'll reply on a weekday though :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by GeogBerry
Again, that depends on the university. It's definitely more likely they'll reply on a weekday though :smile:

Ah yes lets hope so eh :smile:.
Reply 14
Original post by James A

Cheers guys!

It may depend where the C is. Last year my cousin got A*AC for a biology course wanting AAB but the C was in biology! He was rejected. However all was not lost. He got a place to read chemistry (the A) through clearing at the same uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Psychd
It may depend where the C is. Last year my cousin got A*AC for a biology course wanting AAB but the C was in biology! He was rejected. However all was not lost. He got a place to read chemistry (the A) through clearing at the same uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This thread is old now seeing as I got my AAB for uni last August :tongue:
Original post by James A

Cheers guys!

So what you get eventually

Cus I'm currently in this exact situation
Reply 17
Original post by niceguy95
So what you get eventually

Cus I'm currently in this exact situation

As said above, AAB. Maths, Chem, Bio respectively.
Reply 18
Original post by James A
As said above, AAB. Maths, Chem, Bio respectively.

All Edexcel? Because if you managed to get an 'a' grade in Edexcel Chemistry then give yourself a huge pat on the back!
Reply 19
Original post by Wise Fool
All Edexcel? Because if you managed to get an 'a' grade in Edexcel Chemistry then give yourself a huge pat on the back!

Edexcel Chem, Edexcel Maths, AQA Bio.

To be fair, I was on a gap year so my A isn't worth as much as someone else who would get an A on their first attempt (which is amazing lol)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending