The Student Room Group

Why do people hate America?

Poll

Why do you hate America?

If everybody followed the example of the American constitution, the world would be a better place. Given most other countries' track records, I don't know why the US is held in such contempt. If it weren't for them, Europe would be under either Nazi or Soviet tyranny today, or some grotesque combination of the two. I believe that while they are by no means perfect, we should be thanking them and encouraging others in the world to follow their example (freedom and democracy).

While I agree that George Bush was cack-handed, arrogant and ignorant, people hated him so much that they forgot about the actual people in the world who are making it such an awful place for others, by butchering them for insane or petty crimes such as being gay, or locking them up for holding an opinion. Are these dictators infantile, not warranting as much personal responsibility?

tl;dr if you hate America, I can't imagine how much disgust you must feel for the majority of the countries in the world. Either that, or you have been indoctrinated with anti-American bigotry.

Edit; ffs, stop down-voting. The poll should only appear biased if you already view America as somehow "different" to the rest, because given its behaviour, and the behaviour of other countries, you would have to be a bigot to prefer the other countries in almost all cases. That is as close to an objective analysis as I can give.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

This poll is so ****ing stupidly biased it might as well not exist.
Reply 2
Original post by John Stuart Mill
This poll is so ****ing stupidly biased it might as well not exist.

It is my personal response to others' bigotry and inane special pleading. Now please vote, or say something meaningful :rolleyes:
"I am a bigot" Damn you got me
Reply 4
Muslims hate it because they created Israel and stole their territory
Reply 5
America has just as many faults as any other country. Didn't you get the memo?
"responsible for their actions"? "moreso than other countries"?

explain? :s-smilie:
Reply 7
Original post by Tigers

The British created the state of Israel, did they not? America became their allies later on, didn't they?
Ok I dislike America for double standards and foreign policy. Iraq, Vietnam et al. Yes I agree with the ideology of America (democracy and liberty at the centre not that America give a **** since they seem happy to create programs like NSA)

I really, really dislike business; honestly I really, really, really, hate American capitalism. But foreign policy is my major gripe...

Oh and I am a bigot.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Barden
"responsible for their actions"? "moreso than other countries"?

explain? :s-smilie:

Whenever bad things happen in the world, people blame America. So when the brutal regime of Saudi Arabia butchers somebody for some stupid crime like drinking alcohol, or witchcraft, America is blamed simply for being its ally. I think America should not be allied with Saudi Arabia too of course, but people never actually blame the person that should be blamed: the dictator. It's always got to be, somehow, America's fault.
Reply 10
There is no freedom.
Reply 11
Original post by felamaslen
The British created the state of Israel, did they not? America became their allies later on, didn't they?

it was America.The British and France didn't agree with messing up with Muslims at the start.But America and its Jewish leaders rule
Whenever bad things happen in the world, people blame America. So when the brutal regime of Saudi Arabia butchers somebody for some stupid crime like drinking alcohol, or witchcraft, America is blamed simply for being its ally. I think America should not be allied with Saudi Arabia too of course, but people never actually blame the person that should be blamed: the dictator. It's always got to be, somehow, America's fault.

but that's being blamed for another's actions... not being responsible for their own...
Reply 13

The British did not create Israel per se, they just withdrew from Palestine and allowed the Zionists to declare independence in the name of Jews across the world, without intervening.

Yes, America did become their allies - Israel's illegitmacy and frequent neglect of international law is thus endorced de facto by the USA.

Edit: Disagree with my interpretation of history/ politics? Etiquette dictates you engage me with rational debate rather than just hopping on the neg-train...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Barden
but that's being blamed for another's actions... not being responsible for their own...

Sorry, I should be clear. I think that people believe America is more responsible for its actions than other countries, because people criticise America so much more than they criticise actual tinpot dictatorships.
Reply 15
Original post by Tigers

Islam is a religion NOT a nationality. I think you meant Arabs hate it. :rolleyes:
It is my personal response to others' bigotry and inane special pleading. Now please vote, or say something meaningful :rolleyes:

So you've made a poll just to justify your own beliefs and a thread to surround yourself with people who think the same as you?

That's a bit sad. :tongue:
Reply 17
Original post by Ornlu
The British did not create Israel per se, they just withdrew from Palestine and allowed the Zionists to declare independence in the name of Jews across the world, without intervening.

Yes, America did become their allies - Israel's illegitmacy and frequent neglect of international law is thus endorced de facto by the USA.

As it happens, that's another can of worms which I could open. Israel is another country that is criticised much more, and for much lesser crimes, than other countries. China commits much worse crimes against its own population than Israel commits against the Palestinians.
Reply 18
Original post by Tigers

It was not their land so no Israel did not stole from anyone.

But yes, the average uneducated religious muslims hates America because they are supppsly "invading muslim countries" although they are in fact invading secular arab countries and therefore thoose uneducated muslims should be happy.for American.policy inthe Middle East.

I personally like America and consider it as a land of freedom but I dont like that it is helping various Islamofascist groups in the Middle Eastern. Instead of helping Arab secular leaders like Assad or Gadaffi to build a civilised Arabia they are helping the decadent islamistic Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Yemen. Thoose countries are bastions of al Qaida and backward islam.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by TicketyBox
So you've made a poll just to justify your own beliefs and a thread to surround yourself with people who think the same as you?

That's a bit sad. :tongue:

That's the opposite of the truth. I've invited people to tell me why I am wrong. Now please go ahead.

Quick Reply

Latest