The Student Room Group

Medipathways

Do you guys think Medipathways is a legit organization? I'm thinking about applying to the program, but I want some enlightenment on it.

Scroll to see replies

I have just applied and I'm starting this september, at first I was sceptical, and research is really hard to gather however I'm taking a chance. What program are you interested pre med or the 2 year biomedical bsc?
I would steer clear of Medipathways if I were you. From my personal experience they do not care about their students; once you have paid your fees, any and all promises made to you will be disregarded. While the teaching staff were lovely, they were often hindered in doing what is most beneficial for students. Students were not even provided with programme organized internet access or printing facilities, which is absurd for a programme charging 16,000 pounds!

In addition, I witnessed students being blatantly lied to about the requirements for entering their partner universities. Some students were told that even though their A-levels weren't up to par, the programme would mean they were guaranteed acceptance to Cardenal Herrera in Spain, which simply wasn't true. Others were told that without the programme, they wouldn't be able to apply to Charles University, the other Eastern European options, or Saint Matthew's in the Caribbean - all of which are untrue since all of these universities accept direct applications, although SMU is graduate entry.

I would strongly advise looking into alternate options.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Flowerpower12
I have just applied and I'm starting this september, at first I was sceptical, and research is really hard to gather however I'm taking a chance. What program are you interested pre med or the 2 year biomedical bsc?

I was applying to pre-medicine but after further thought and research, I think I might withdraw my application. But best of luck to you! Please let me know how the program turns out. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by MyPaperLantern
I would steer clear of Medipathways if I were you. From my personal experience they do not care about their students; once you have paid your fees, any and all promises made to you will be disregarded. While the teaching staff were lovely, they were often hindered in doing what is most beneficial for students. Students were not even provided with programme organized internet access or printing facilities, which is absurd for a programme charging 16,000 pounds!

In addition, I witnessed students being blatantly lied to about the requirements for entering their partner universities. Some students were told that even though their A-levels weren't up to par, the programme would mean they were guaranteed acceptance to Cardenal Herrera in Spain, which simply wasn't true. Others were told that without the programme, they wouldn't be able to apply to Charles University, the other Eastern European options, or Saint Matthew's in the Caribbean - all of which are untrue since all of these universities accept direct applications, although SMU is graduate entry.

Thank you so much for your input! I wasn't sure how I felt about the organisation because there's not much information on them, plus I'm a student from the USA so I wasn't sure how UK programs work. Do you think access courses are the better option as an international student?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by rxnelmbo
I was applying to pre-medicine but after further thought and research, I think I might withdraw my application. But best of luck to you! Please let me know how the program turns out. :smile:

Oh my Gosh same I got accepted and everything but then got sent a contract through and read it and got cold feet so I have applied elsewhere via clearing as my results were good. I feel so much better now I just found it really weird how you can barely find info on medipathways like student experiences etc. I only applied because I just wanted to graduate quickly so I can do post grad medicine but realised there's no point in rushing I'm young and have plenty of time! What are you planning to do now? :smile:

Thanks for the info! It's a shame since it seems like a good idea!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
What is medipathways? and what is pre-medicine? Sorry, a bit confused. :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Original post by Flowerpower12
Oh my Gosh same I got accepted and everything but then got sent a contract through and read it and got cold feet so I have applied elsewhere via clearing as my results were good. I feel so much better now I just found it really weird how you can barely find info on medipathways like student experiences etc. I only applied because I just wanted to graduate quickly so I can do post grad medicine but realised there's no point in rushing I'm young and have plenty of time! What are you planning to do now? :smile:

Congratulations! At least now you don't have to worry now! What school did you manage to get in to? Well since I'm from America, I'm either going to apply through an access course in the UK or complete a degree here then go through post graduate medicine in the UK. I have many options here; but Medipathways is definitely not one of them.
Reply 9
Original post by Humblefunky
What is medipathways? and what is pre-medicine? Sorry, a bit confused. :s-smilie:

Hello. Medipathways is like a private college in the UK that specializes in medicine and dentistry. They claim that they can get students in the UK medical schools, and if not, put them in other schools in Eastern Europe. I discovered them through UCAS media.

Pre medicine are the set of courses that you need to take in order to study medicine. I'm not sure if it's the same in England, but that's what it is in America.
Congratulations! At least now you don't have to worry now! What school did you manage to get in to? Well since I'm from America, I'm either going to apply through an access course in the UK or complete a degree here then go through post graduate medicine in the UK. I have many options here; but Medipathways is definitely not one of them.

Do you plan to practice in America or in the EU because if you want to practice in America it is a lot easier to get into the profession if you study medicine there.
Thank you so much for your input! I wasn't sure how I felt about the organisation because there's not much information on them, plus I'm a student from the USA so I wasn't sure how UK programs work. Do you think access courses are the better option as an international student?

What are your current qualifications? Have you completed anything at University level or just US high school? How come you want to study medicine in the UK instead of at home, meaning, when you've completed your studies, were you planning to practice in the UK or return to the US?

Thank you! I am going to swansea to do medical science and humanities. I suggest you email the universities your interested in going to :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Helloworld_95
Do you plan to practice in America or in the EU because if you want to practice in America it is a lot easier to get into the profession if you study medicine there.

Planning to practice in America. The problem with studying medicine here is the time and money.
Reply 14
What are your current qualifications? Have you completed anything at University level or just US high school? How come you want to study medicine in the UK instead of at home, meaning, when you've completed your studies, were you planning to practice in the UK or return to the US?

I just finished US high school, starting my first year in a University this September. Medicine in the UK is much more quicker and concentrated, in addition it is a lot more cheaper.

I'm not sure about my plans after completing my studies but if I were to end up studying medicine in the UK, then I would most certainly stay and practice in the UK
Planning to practice in America. The problem with studying medicine here is the time and money.

If you study in state it will be less than studying over here as an international, the tuition fees alone will be $150,000 as a low estimate plus living costs of about $50,000 to $75,000 not to mention travel costs. If you go for a better known university which would be recommended if you're wishing to practice in America then these fees will be higher. As for time the UK medical degree is 5 years or 6 if you do an intercalated degree which some universities require. After graduation you would then undergo your foundation years while taking your USMLEs which will increase the time requirement to 7 or 8 years.
Reply 16
Original post by Helloworld_95
If you study in state it will be less than studying over here as an international, the tuition fees alone will be $150,000 as a low estimate plus living costs of about $50,000 to $75,000 not to mention travel costs. If you go for a better known university which would be recommended if you're wishing to practice in America then these fees will be higher. As for time the UK medical degree is 5 years or 6 if you do an intercalated degree which some universities require. After graduation you would then undergo your foundation years while taking your USMLEs which will increase the time requirement to 7 or 8 years.

Hm you make a very good point. I'll take that into consideration when I'm adjusting my plans. Thanks!
Reply 17

I'm not sure that's entirely fair. Medipathways clearly states here that it uses the campus of Birkbeck, University of London and that students have access to Birkbeck's internet and printing facilities, in the same way that Birkbeck's own students do.

As far as the lies to students part stands, I am fairly sure that this cannot be the case. Bear in mind it is in Medipathways' own interests to not force particular pathways on students, as they work with lots of progression partners. In any case, I would be fairly sure that if Medipathways had done this, they would have had some legal battles and there is no record of these having happened. As such, I have no reason to believe this is actually the case.

Utter nonsense - friends from my previous school actually did their course and speak really highly of it and and now at medical schools in the UK. Had I not already had a degree I would definately consider it myself...
There were a few students who were upset they didnt get into UK medical school (join the club) but none had anything negative to say about Medipathways.
I researched into it quite a lot and pretty much every medical and dental school in the UK accept it. 1-2 did say they had'nt heard of it, but I think thats cos its new and also cos i got through to the junior admin staff who were just not informed...
I went to see the campus too and yes, they do have IT, printing and student union facilities like any other student - I even asked the Birkbeck staff just to double check!

Not saying they are right for everyone because of the fees, etc, but credit where credit is due - they do seem to do what it says on the tin - would have been shut down a long time ago if they didnt - and we definitely would have heard about that from all the peed of students in the press.
I think it's because these guys are unique and a breath of fresh air, they are easy to take a pop at by disgruntled staff or people who claim to have been 'involved' and have their own personal axe to grind with Medipathways.

I also found that they also send students to study medicine or dentistry directly abroad and have a whole service dedicated to it. So somehow I doubt they are trying to pull the wool over your eyes by forcing students to do a course they don't need to do. Every uni has its own entry requirements plastered on their own website, so I don't think they can lie about that even if they tried. Sorry, but I dont think they, or their students, are that stupid.
They also have pretty high entry requirements (AAA-BBB) - hardly sounds like an instuitution trying to cash in on as many students as possible!

All the things they claim I have checked out and they have come back to be facts, so I am just basing by opinion on facts too. Not everyone can afford their fees because they are not all coming from SLC, but thats not their fault.
My view is that you should do what I did, go and meet them or give them a call and find out for yourself rather than basing a whole life changing decision on the back of thread on here.
When so many other medical and dental schools and students are all giving a thumbs up to these guys I think its daft to try and knock them on here when it so easy to just call or visit them.
Reply 19
Original post by julesbrayster
Utter nonsense - friends from my previous school actually did their course and speak really highly of it and and now at medical schools in the UK. Had I not already had a degree I would definately consider it myself...
There were a few students who were upset they didnt get into UK medical school (join the club) but none had anything negative to say about Medipathways.
I researched into it quite a lot and pretty much every medical and dental school in the UK accept it. 1-2 did say they had'nt heard of it, but I think thats cos its new and also cos i got through to the junior admin staff who were just not informed...
I went to see the campus too and yes, they do have IT, printing and student union facilities like any other student - I even asked the Birkbeck staff just to double check!

Not saying they are right for everyone because of the fees, etc, but credit where credit is due - they do seem to do what it says on the tin - would have been shut down a long time ago if they didnt - and we definitely would have heard about that from all the peed of students in the press.
I think it's because these guys are unique and a breath of fresh air, they are easy to take a pop at by disgruntled staff or people who claim to have been 'involved' and have their own personal axe to grind with Medipathways.

I also found that they also send students to study medicine or dentistry directly abroad and have a whole service dedicated to it. So somehow I doubt they are trying to pull the wool over your eyes by forcing students to do a course they don't need to do. Every uni has its own entry requirements plastered on their own website, so I don't think they can lie about that even if they tried. Sorry, but I dont think they, or their students, are that stupid.
They also have pretty high entry requirements (AAA-BBB) - hardly sounds like an instuitution trying to cash in on as many students as possible!

All the things they claim I have checked out and they have come back to be facts, so I am just basing by opinion on facts too. Not everyone can afford their fees because they are not all coming from SLC, but thats not their fault.
My view is that you should do what I did, go and meet them or give them a call and find out for yourself rather than basing a whole life changing decision on the back of thread on here.
When so many other medical and dental schools and students are all giving a thumbs up to these guys I think its daft to try and knock them on here when it so easy to just call or visit them.

Wait, universities told you they accepted it? I contacted several universities and they told me they didn't accept medipathways. Did you ask about the BSc or about their other programs?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending