The Student Room Group

study medicine in Italy as post-grad - Help!

Finished Bio Medical Sciences and plan to do Medicine in English in Italy from 2014. There are to my knowledge 4 Unis that do meds in English, in Italy: Milano, Roma, Bari & Pavia. Emailed all - none answered!
What's an IMAT, when to register, what documentation and when to go there. Born in London with Italian passport, do not speak Italian but I am also... one of them.
Any pointers, any advice, infos, suggestions, please HELP!!!
Thanks
Reply 1
Finished Bio Medical Sciences and plan to do Medicine in English in Italy from 2014. There are to my knowledge 4 Unis that do meds in English, in Italy: Milano, Roma, Bari & Pavia. Emailed all - none answered!
What's an IMAT, when to register, what documentation and when to go there. Born in London with dual cititzenship ( Italian passport), do not speak Italian but I am also... one of them.
Thanks
Original post by sabinswindon
What's an IMAT, when to register, what documentation and when to go there. Born in London with Italian passport, do not speak Italian but I am also... one of them.
Thanks

I can't offer any advice on what is needed, but I was wondering if you had visited those universities? That would be your best bet, especially if you hold an Italian passport. If you're from London, I'd say go for Roma, or maybe Milano. Bari seems kind of isolated (but looks gorgeous) and I don't know anything about Pavia.
Reply 3
Hi,

I've just got back from Pavia, after enrolling at the Uni and sorting out my accommodation, so just thought I'd let you know what its like. (I'm assuming you're from UK / EU citizen)

Firstly, you get very little from the Uni in terms of information / support - you pretty much have to do everything on your own, which can be a bit daunting.

Unlike the UK system, you don't actually "apply" to an individual uni; you choose which Uni you want to go to when you register for the IMAT. If you pass, and you're high enough in the ranking, you're in. That's it. No application forms, no personal statements, no interviews.

The IMAT this year was held in April - in previous years it was always in September. Assuming it is April 2014, then enrollment for the IMAT opens in February and closes Mid-March. The cost this year was EUR 120. You have to register onhttp://www.universitaly.it/index.php/

The IMAT is similar to the BMAT. It comprises 60 questions: 30 logical reasoning with a few general knowledge, then 30 between chemistry, physics biology and maths. You get 1.5 marks for a correct answer, with 0.4 taken off for each wrong answer.

This year, there were a maximum 10 bonus points awarded - 5 if you attended school taught in English, or had one of the international English certificates, and a maximum 5 based on last 3 years exam results - don't worry too much about this at the moment, because rumour has it they will be dropped next year

For more details, past papers and test specification see http://www.admissionstestingservice.... at/about-imat/

Again, for the first time this year, you could choose up to 3 universities in order of preference - if you failed to get in to your first choice uni, but scored higher than others for the 2nd or 3rd, then you would get in there.

To enter the ranking lists, you need a score of at least 20. This year, if you scored 58+ you got your first choice uni, it is possible to still get a place with a lower score but this process is still ongoing...

That's all the easy part...

Assuming you passed the IMAT, and get a score high enough to get into your first choice Uni, you then have 4 days to get to the Uni and enroll. This year for example, they published the lists on 29th July of those who had their first choice places, and you had to enroll in person by 1st August. You need to get an Italian tax code (codice fiscale), copy of your passport, and something called a Declaration of Value (DV) - this translates your UK qualifications into their Italian equivalents. You will need to get your degree and A-levels apostilled (by the FCO)

For the tuition fees, there are made up of two parts: a fixed fee everyone pays, and a variable part. This year I paid EUR 660, being the fixed part and some of the variable. The remainder of the variable is based on something called an ISEE, based on family size, parental income, size and value of property - there are separate requirements if you are an independent student, i.e. been away from parental support for at least 2 years. The variable fees range from EUR 0 to EUR 3680 at Pavia, maximum of EUR 3900 in Milan.

If you have a Biomedical degree, then it may be possible for you to skip the first year, and start in year 2. However, you would still need to sit the IMAT as above, and you can only start in the second year if there are any available spaces, i.e. if someone has dropped out, or transferred to another University

Pavia was the first Italian uni to offer Medicine in English, followed a year later by Milan. Rome and Naples followed after that, with Bari being the last (just starting its second year). The general advice seems to be that the North is better than the South, and after that I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

The town of Pavia (based on the last week) is very nice, lots of cobbled streets, lovely little bars and restaurants. Accommodation is good quality, I've arranged somewhere for EUR 350 per month. There is a central accommodation office run by the Uni which helps you find somewhere to stay. It's very much a University town, so was quite quiet when we were there last week, as most students have left town. It's only about 30 minutes to Milan by train if you need a day out, and a couple of hours apparently to Lake Garda (looking forward to going there at some time!)

Hope this helps, let me know if you need any more info.

MickieJ
Reply 4
Ciao,

For obtaining a DV - "Dichiarazione di Valore", would like to know if the original documents/certificates/degree needs to be translated, legalized & apostilled or
the copy of the original certificat needs this treatment?
Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending